Thread: Do you stick with Malkin?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Do you stick with Malkin?

Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts are on Malkin in a Salary Cap League (details in sig). But this is the second year in a row that Malkin was injured in playoffs, so i had essentially $9.5 million in Cap just sitting on IR which cost me my 2nd round match up.

Malkin is elite and is worth the price tag, but the injury history makes me wonder if it's worth it. I'll probably end up keeping him just because he is elite talent, but i can't help but wonder if it's better to just free up that $9.5 million in cap space.

Thoughts?
    14 Team H2H Keeper, Keep 6 F, 4 D, 1 G, 1 UTIL

NHL Salary Cap - $73 Mil (2016-2017)

Categories:
    G/A/ +/- / PIM/PPG/PPA/SOG/HIT/BLK
    W/ #SV / SV%/ SHO

F: Vladimir Tarasenko, Evgeni Malkin, Wayne Simmonds, Alex Galchenyuk, Nathan Mackinnon, Connor McDavid, Phil Kessel, David Pastranak
    D: Victor Hedman, Dougie Hamilton, Calvin De Haan, Luke Schenn, Stephen Johns
    G: Sergey Bobrovsky, Connor Hellebuyck

The Great One

Default Re: Do you stick with Malkin?

If you free it up what can you acquire? Generally with players like Malikin in cap leagues it is difficult to get market value...
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

The Great One

Malkin + a replacement for when he's on IR = 70-75+ points most seasons, with home run potential if somehow he defies the odds and stays healthy. Yes, it stinks that Malkin not only gets hurt but tends to do so at the worst possible time (i.e., the end of the regular season) but he's a difference maker and, just as importantly, will be tough to trade for any semblance of what he's worth. Grin and bear it is my advice.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    If you free it up what can you acquire? Generally with players like Malikin in cap leagues it is difficult to get market value...
    Probably just cap space at this point or a more expensive player like Patrick kane.

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee
    Malkin + a replacement for when he's on IR = 70-75+ points most seasons, with home run potential if somehow he defies the odds and stays healthy. Yes, it stinks that Malkin not only gets hurt but tends to do so at the worst possible time (i.e., the end of the regular season) but he's a difference maker and, just as importantly, will be tough to trade for any semblance of what he's worth. Grin and bear it is my advice.
    Thanks for this. I know, it's probably just an emotional reaction to having Malkin sit out two playoffs in a row, i'll stick with him for now.
    14 Team H2H Keeper, Keep 6 F, 4 D, 1 G, 1 UTIL

NHL Salary Cap - $73 Mil (2016-2017)

Categories:
    G/A/ +/- / PIM/PPG/PPA/SOG/HIT/BLK
    W/ #SV / SV%/ SHO

F: Vladimir Tarasenko, Evgeni Malkin, Wayne Simmonds, Alex Galchenyuk, Nathan Mackinnon, Connor McDavid, Phil Kessel, David Pastranak
    D: Victor Hedman, Dougie Hamilton, Calvin De Haan, Luke Schenn, Stephen Johns
    G: Sergey Bobrovsky, Connor Hellebuyck

Administrator

Alternatively you can focus on improving your depth so that losing him is less devastating.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by DS7 View Post
    Probably just cap space at this point or a more expensive player like Patrick kane.

Thanks for this. I know, it's probably just an emotional reaction to having Malkin sit out two playoffs in a row, i'll stick with him for now.
    I am also in this situation and my feeling now is to wait for the memory of Malkin being injured again to fade away a bit. Hope springs eternal in the offseason, and if he continues to pile up points in the postseason that will hopefully be what people think of first.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry