Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NHL Mock Draft

The Great One

Default Re: 2017 NHL Mock Draft

Agreed with everything.

PS. As a Leafs fan Id be ecstatic if Vaakanainen slipped to #17.

I think Vaakanainen is the 4th best defender in the draft. You got the top two and Liljegren. I would also welcome Foote, Brannstrom and Valimaki at 17 if they do decide to draft a D. I think you have them all a bit lower on your mock.

At forward, at pick 17, I'll take.....in order of preference.

Andersson
    Rasmussen
    Suzuki
    Kostin
    Ratciffe
    Tippet

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    Here is my revised mock draft. I changed a few of the picks from what I had previous done. I also added a 2nd round.

1st round:
    1. NJ - Nico Hischier
    2. PHI - Nolan Patrick
    3. DAL - Miro Heiskanen
    4. COL - Cale Makar
    5. VAN - Gabe Vilardi
    6. VEG - Cody Glass
    7. PHO - Casey Mittelstadt
    8. BUF - Owen Tippett
    9. DET - Elias Pettersson
    10. FLA - Michael Rasmussen
    11. LA - Martin Necas
    12. CAR - Nick Suzuki
    13. WIN - Lias Anderssen
    14. TB - Tim Liljegren
    15. NYI - Jusso Valimaki
    16. CAL - Kristian Vesalainen
    17. TOR - Urho Vaakanainen
    18. BOS - Eeli Tolvanen
    19. SJ - Ryan Poehling
    20. STL - Klim Kostin
    21. NYR - Cal Foote
    22. EDM - Isaac Ratcliffe
    23. ARI - Kailer Yamamoto
    24. CLB - Shane Bowers
    25. MTL - Josh Norris
    26. CHI - Erik Brannstrom
    27. STL - Connor Timmins
    28. OTT - Pierre-Olivier Joseph
    29. DAL - Jason Robertson
    30. NAS - Henri Jokiharju
    31. PIT - Jaret Anderson-Dolan

2nd round:
    32. COL - Robin Salo
    33. VAN - Nic Hague
    34. VEG - Kole Lind
    35. ARI - Maxime Comtois
    36. NJ - Grant Mismash
    37. BUF - Matthew Strome
    38. DET - Josh Brook
    39. DAL - Jake Oettinger
    40. FLA - Filip Chytil
    41. LA - Robert Thomas
    42. CAR - Marcus Davidsson
    43. WIN - Ian Mitchell
    44. PHI - Joni Ikonen
    45. TB - Ivan Lodnia
    46. NYI - Nikita Popugaev
    47. OTT - Michael Dipietro
    48. TB - Ostap Safin
    49. NJ - David Farramce
    50. ANA - Max Gildon
    51. STL - Ivan Chekhovich
    52. CAR - Ukko-Pekka Lehkonen
    53. BOS - Antoine Morand
    54. BUF - Markus Phillips
    55. VAN - Morgan Frost
    56. MTL - Jonah Gadjovich
    57. CHI - Scott Reedy
    58. MTL - Dmitri Samorukov
    59. TOR - Morgan Geekie
    60. ANA - Aleksi Heponiemi
    61. NAS - Alexei Lipanov
    62. CAR - Cale Fleury
    As a sabres fan, I liked your first mock draft better. So I order you to go back to the draft board

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    As a sabres fan, I liked your first mock draft better. So I order you to go back to the draft board
    heh heh. buffalo is one of the hardest teams to mock, as they need a defenceman, but there probably won't be one available at 8 worth taking there. the reason you liked my last mock was because you guys got cale makar - I didn't feel comfortable with that pick then and changed it now. I can't see makar slipping so far. originally, I had heiskanen going 4 to Colorado, and the teams afterwards not taking a D, so makar was available (but not really so logical). I have now come to the conclusion that heiskanen is gonna go 3rd no matter who is picking there, and Colorado will jump on makar. imagine a PP with mackinnon, rantanen and makar!
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if buffalo traded up to 3 to draft heiskanen. there's also the chance they take liljegren, but drafting a player who seems like he's not really an all around dman, rather a PP QB, when that team already has ristolainen (plus guhle coming up), just doesn't make sense to me. I thought about vaakanainen as well, but it seems a bit high for him, but wouldn't surprise me.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Agreed with everything.

PS. As a Leafs fan Id be ecstatic if Vaakanainen slipped to #17.

I think Vaakanainen is the 4th best defender in the draft. You got the top two and Liljegren. I would also welcome Foote, Brannstrom and Valimaki at 17 if they do decide to draft a D. I think you have them all a bit lower on your mock.

At forward, at pick 17, I'll take.....in order of preference.

Andersson
    Rasmussen
    Suzuki
    Kostin
    Ratciffe
    Tippet
    I had valimaki going at 15 to the islanders. foote is going a bit lower to the rangers, and brannstrom a while later to the hawks. if vaakaneinen was gone before the leafs' pick, I think they'd foote over brannstrom - I think they'd be looking for a shutdown D rather than a smaller offensive D.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Pretty solid mock.
    I've been reading up (watching highlights) on Makar and don't think the "reward" side on him makes him a top 5 pick.
    Vilardi, Heiskanen, Glass, Mittelstadt are my 3-6.
    I'll put Makar at #7 to Arizona because I've already seen Chayka pull in two offensive-D men who I've thought were questionable (Goligoski & DeAngelo) additions.
    He obviously thinks there's some future value in them... I disagree... but it would put Makar in Chayka's value-MO.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Pretty solid mock.
    I've been reading up (watching highlights) on Makar and don't think the "reward" side on him makes him a top 5 pick.
    Vilardi, Heiskanen, Glass, Mittelstadt are my 3-6.
    I'll put Makar at #7 to Arizona because I've already seen Chayka pull in two offensive-D men who I've thought were questionable (Goligoski & DeAngelo) additions.
    He obviously thinks there's some future value in them... I disagree... but it would put Makar in Chayka's value-MO.
    to play devil's advocate, if chayka already brought in two offensive dmen, then he has less of a need for another one. don't forget, they've also got OEL as their top D, and kyle wood lurking in the minors, almost ready for the nhl, who got a lot of PP time in the ahl, and put up really good numbers. factor in chychrun as well (who I don't think will put up too many points, but is still gonna be a minute muncher), and they have no real need to draft a D with their top pick. I think they're gonna go with wingers with loads of offensive potential with their first round picks.

and i'll have to disagree with you on makar. I think he's the real deal. the only reason some people are mocking him around 7 is there are still a few doubters out there due to him being in the AJHL, but all the top scouts are starting to unanimously come around and say that he's a legit top 5 talent. I can't see the avs passing on a dman - yeah, they'd take heiskanen over makar, but I don't think heiskanen will be there at 4.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Wizard

and i'll have to disagree with you on makar. I think he's the real deal. the only reason some people are mocking him around 7 is there are still a few doubters out there due to him being in the AJHL, but all the top scouts are starting to unanimously come around and say that he's a legit top 5 talent. I can't see the avs passing on a dman - yeah, they'd take heiskanen over makar, but I don't think heiskanen will be there at 4.
    Real scouts don't seem to put him in the top-5, though. In the latest TSN ranking done by Bob McKenzie (from April 27th), Makar was ranked 7th overall. Of course that doesn't mean he can't go in the top-5, just saying that's not certain and NHL teams may not see him going that high. If Heiskanen goes 3rd, Avs will have 3-4 solid options but unfortunately for their team needs, only one of them is a D-man. Maybe they take the best player available and trade Duchene for a D-man instead.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

and i'll have to disagree with you on makar. I think he's the real deal. the only reason some people are mocking him around 7 is there are still a few doubters out there due to him being in the AJHL, but all the top scouts are starting to unanimously come around and say that he's a legit top 5 talent.
    It is incredibly hard to gauge anybody's talent level when they play in an inferior league.
    5 years ago, a bunch of people on this site were absolutely ga-ga over David Rundblad's numbers.
    Even in his video highlights, Rundblad looked like this incredible D-man.
    I watched a few videos, sourced some other league scorers that were former couldnt-make-it Canadians... and labeled Rundblad a potential bust (or... at least I said people were mispoken to be so sure).

And even though I play beer-league hockey myself, there's value to be gained from understanding an inferior league.
    Just because you are a super-duper-star at one level... doesn't mean you can make the jump to a higher level.
    I used to play highest men's level in my local league and have now retired down three levels.
    I can tell you I've seen kids come into one league - skate like crazy around us old men - then be moved up to a league with elite players - and then their speed/hands are no longer good enough.
    And I've seen guys come into our league that weren't as fast as "the kid" - but have solid skating, solid hands and elite level hockey sense.
    They get moved up and do BETTER than the young, showy kid.

The thing that's going to allow Makar to make it in the NHL is how well he does playing with AND against ELITE talent.
    And NONE of us have seen a good presentation of that.
    So we are all guessing.

Personally, I agree he shows some elite upside.
    But if this were a hockey prospects website, I'd say he was an 8.5 defensemen with a "C" chance of hitting that in NHL.
    One team might prefer a 8.0 forward with a "B" chance of hitting that - which is where I think the other forwards are.
    And, from what I read, Heiskanen is a 8.0 defenseman with a "A" chance of hitting that.

The teams that will roll the dice on upside... are the teams that need a miracle... that are really far from contending.
    I see Arizona as the first team that hits that bill.

I don't think Dallas or Colorado or Vancouver can take a risk on pure upside when there are more reliable players (if, maybe, with less upside).
    Maybe Vegas... though I think even McPhee values a Carlson over a Mike Green.

Time will tell.
    (But I'll always have the Rundblad thread in my pocket, where many others do not.)

Dobber Sports Stud

So we are all guessing.
    Exactly!
    I get what you are all saying about Makar. At the same time, I still can't see the Avs passing on him. The top 10-15 are wide open this year, and anything can happen, so Makar can go top 5, and he can go closer to 10. I think if ever there was a year to take a chance with a very high pick, it's this year, where it's not like you're missing out on a guaranteed elite player if you mess up, but the reward with Makar is sky-high.
    We'll find out in less than 2 weeks!!!

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^re: Avs.
    You may be right. Sakic did take Jost #10 overall out of the BCHL.
    And Jost made a really good transition to college hockey (UND).
    So if Sakic is happy with scouting reports - it could happen.

I, personally, think COL does need to draft a D... but needs more of a Heiskanen, than Makar.
    But - just wanted to agree, fairly, that I could see Sakic going with Makar.

btw - sorry to derail thread.
    It's a really really good mock, IMO - and it always feels unfair when somebody hammers on the one disagreeable point rather than giving you proper accolades for a body of good work.

REP comin!!!

The Great One

Colorado needs to draft best prospect available regardless of position.

You don't draft on current needs you draft for 5 years down the road. And by then anything could happen. Hence, why you draft BPA.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    you draft for 5 years down the road.
    If one thinks their position will still be their position 5 years down the road, absolutely - in that case - I agree.

Sakic, for all his COL glory, has to be in the hot-seat these days.
    And the team has been in disaster on D for several years now.
    In light of what the league has seen out of EDM (the transition from too much O-talent, to a focus on a few defenders)...
    All players almost equal (3-6... or 3-7 whatever), COL will take a D.

Dobber Sports Stud

btw - sorry to derail thread.
    It's a really really good mock, IMO - and it always feels unfair when somebody hammers on the one disagreeable point rather than giving you proper accolades for a body of good work.

REP comin!!!
    thanks for the REP! and I have no problem with the comments. everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and especially in a very volatile draft year, anything can happen, so none of our opinions are crazy.
    jost isn't necessarily the best comparison to makar, since jost had dominated the U18s, and while makar dominated in the international tournament he played in this year, it wasn't on the same level. at the same time, it was a much higher level than the AJHL.
    if anything, this helps me make my own decisions regarding my own fantasy draft. I just acquired the 3rd overall pick in one of my leagues, and my plan has been to put my money where my mouth is and take makar. maybe i'll be convinced otherwise, but highly doubtful.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I just acquired the 3rd overall pick in one of my leagues, and my plan has been to put my money where my mouth is and take makar.
    Good luck to you.
    I hope your guy turns into a Karlsson or a Tarasenko... and not into the Rundblad.
    The original thread, where even some of the site's "prospect gurus" (at that time) started speaking of Rundblad in same breath as those other guys.
    http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...-context/page4

[Out of pure curiousity - does the NHL have a top 10 D-draft success story from an inferior league? I don't care to do the research on this one... just wondering if any names pop into heads.]

Dobber Sports Sage

if anything, this helps me make my own decisions regarding my own fantasy draft. I just acquired the 3rd overall pick in one of my leagues, and my plan has been to put my money where my mouth is and take makar. maybe i'll be convinced otherwise, but highly doubtful.
    Why would you do that when you can draft him 6th, 7th or 8th overall instead? Trade the #3 to someone looking to land Vilardi, Glass or Mittelstadt and get another pick or added value on top of the deal.

Don't be Don Sweeney.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko