Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NHL Mock Draft

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: 2017 NHL Mock Draft

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    Great list and read for sure! Although I think Suzuki will find his way into the top 15 (maybe even top 10). Kids going to be an all-around stud.
    It's funny how everyone has that one guy who they believe should be in the top-15 but isn't. I had the same feeling when I was reading the new mock drafts from NHL.com.

I think that speaks to how wide open this draft will be, and there's a large group of players who could go 8th overall or drop out of the top-20. Kostin is a good example - some people have him in the top-10 while others have him as late 1st rounder. If he goes high, then that means someone else is going to drop from there.

Dobber Sports Genius

I wonder if the Canucks can still get a center that will help be a solid one two punch down the middle for us? Or even though it's not popular by fans maybe just get another D. If we have Jouliv and Miro Heiskanen that could form top 4 in the future that could rival that of any team out there.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I wonder if the Canucks can still get a center that will help be a solid one two punch down the middle for us? Or even though it's not popular by fans maybe just get another D. If we have Jouliv and Miro Heiskanen that could form top 4 in the future that could rival that of any team out there.
    I think nucks go with Heiskanen/Liljegren, if they both get taken then they'll go for Glass

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    cody glass and bo horvat would be a really good 1-2 punch to build off of. glass is more ryjo - first line center but not necessary a point per game thread (at least not consistently, not saying ryjo won't do it a few times), and horvat is more Bergeron/kesler, should hover around 60-65 points on average and be a selke thread every year. that would be a great start to the rebuild. I don't think the canucks take a dman, especially if glass is available.
    let's assume the avs are 100% taking a dman. the only way I can see the canucks not taking glass is if the stars take him, or if the stars also take a D and the canucks go with vilardi. but I still think they would take glass over vilardi. although I do have the stars taking vilardi in my mock, so I think he'll be going higher than glass. just a matter of team preference.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    It's funny how everyone has that one guy who they believe should be in the top-15 but isn't. I had the same feeling when I was reading the new mock drafts from NHL.com.

I think that speaks to how wide open this draft will be, and there's a large group of players who could go 8th overall or drop out of the top-20. Kostin is a good example - some people have him in the top-10 while others have him as late 1st rounder. If he goes high, then that means someone else is going to drop from there.
    Suzuki was one of the guys that was hard to believe wasn't in the top 15, but looking at the top 15, who should be taken out? as jouko said, once you get past the first few picks, it's wide open, and I made my mock based on what I think each team will do, not based on pure player rankings.
    I suppose teams that draft players such as elias pettersson or martin necas could opt for Suzuki, but I think those guys might have more offensive potential, and that is what those teams (Detroit and Carolina) are looking for, especially Carolina who is trying to find a number 1 center, which necas could turn into. Suzuki is gonna be an awesome two way player, but not a 70-75 point thread, which the other guys' ceilings are.

Dobber Sports Expert

If the Panthers take Rasmuson over Tippett ( who i hate) or Necas, Dale Tallon will be fired before day two starts.. We need goal scoring and offense like no other team in the league. Rasmusson does absolutly nothing for us. We have a boatload of depth in Malgin, McCann, JHaw, Borgstrom, Mascherin but no top end.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Stud

Here is the continuation of my mock draft. I've made a few changes to my top 15 (at picks 7,8 and 11) and those can be viewed on the first page of this thread. Let me here your thoughts.

16. CAL - Nick Suzuki
    The Flames are stacked at D and G, so I think they're definitely taking a forward. Their top 6 is quite stacked with offensive players, so I think they take a sparkplug forward who can play up and down the lineup in all situations. He can score, play the PP as well as the PK. The kind of player any team needs to win.

17. TOR - Urho Vaakanainen
    Provided they keep the pick (and there's a good chance they trade it for some immediate help, but I'd bet on them keeping it), the Leafs are going D, and I think they want a shutdown D. No one is better at that in this draft than Vaakanainen. Don't expect much offense at the top level from him, but with Rielly, Zaitsev, Gardiner, Dermott and Nielsen in the system, they don't need any more offense from their dmen. But if they could get a dman who can shut down opposing teams top players, that will fill their biggest team need.

18. BOS - Eeli Tolvanen
    Don Sweeney probably has the hardest head of all GMs to try to get into when doing mock drafts. You just never know what he's thinking when he makes his picks. I will say this, though. As much flack as he has taken for some of his picks, the Bruins prospects cupboard is stacked. Loads of very good young dmen (McAvoy, Carlo, Lindgren, Zboril), goalies (Subban, McIntyre, Vladar) and an absolute ton of forwards. The only knock I can possibly find is that due to them passing on players such as Kyle Connor and Matt Barzal when they had their 3 straight first rounders a couple of years ago, and taking Trent Frederic last season (which was not a bad pick at all), they missed out on some top line talent. They could easily have 3 2nd lines with their offensive talent, but not so much in the way of top line scoring threats. They take Tolvanen, who has 35-40 goal potential.

19. SJ - Ryan Poehling
    The Sharks are going to have to replace Joe Thornton soon as he is reaching the end of his career. They've got Logan Couture ready to take over as their number one center, and could use another top 6 center. Poehling showed at the U-18s that he's definitely got the ability to be a top 2 center.

20. STL - Klim Kostin
    When teams have two first round picks, they have a tendency with taking a chance with one of them. Let's remember that the last time the Blues had two first round picks, first they took Jaden Schwartz, and then took a chance on a big Russian guy named Vladimir Tarasenko. That one worked out pretty well for them. Kostin has some question marks after having a rough season which ended in surgery, besides for the Russian factor, but he's got just about as much upside as anyone in this draft and this is a team that hasn't been afraid to take chances on Russians in the past. Could be a home run pick at this point in the draft.

21. NYR - Cal Foote
    The Rangers have almost an entire team's worth of young top line forwards already playing in the NHL, so they need a defenceman here. Cal Foote has top pairing potential. He's big, got some offensive upside, and will be the perfect guy for Ryan McDonagh to mentor.

22. EDM - Isaac Ratcliffe
    The Oilers made a dramatic improvement this season in part to their getting bigger forwards such as Milan Lucic, Patrick Maroon and Zack Kassian. Ratcliffe is a huge forward who plays a similar game to Maroon.

23. ARI - Jason Robertson
    As stated above, the Coyotes have no real team needs, but could use some scoring on the wing. Robertson's skating is an issue, but if he can fix that issue, he can be another top goal scorer (along with Tippett) to add to the Yotes' already stacked system. They could take a goalie here, since the only goalie with starting potential in their system is Adin Hill, but since no goalies are projected to go in the next few picks and Arizona has their second pick coming up relatively soon, there will be a top goalie available for them to take there (and Robertson most probably would not be available in the second round).

24. CLB - Shane Bowers
    The Jackets have loads of offensive minded forwards in their cupboard, so they go with a two-way center who might not have a high offensive ceiling, but he could be out their on the PK while still adding 50+ points.

25. MTL - Maxime Comtois
    Part of me feels like this would be the wrong choice, but being from Montreal and having no more faith in Marc Bergeron one year after the Subban/Weber deal, I feel like this is what they're going to do. The Habs need scoring, and Comtois might not score much in the NHL. He does give them size, but as we saw in the playoffs, their issue is scoring. At the same time, the downside to Comtois is not bad, so it's a safe pick. Plus, he's the local boy, and let's not forget how important those things are in Montreal (see: Louis Leblanc). This is an oldschool type of thinking pick, just like the Subban deal was an oldschool type trade, and it shows how out of touch with the new NHL Canadiens management is.

26. CHI - Erik Brannstrom
    The Hawks have been loading up on young forwards recently, both through the draft and by college signings, and there is a nice hole on D in their system. They have Gustav Forsling and Volle Pokka, and not much else in the way of defensive prospects. I think they go for the home run pick, the player who could be the one to take over for Duncan Keith one day. Steve Kournianos (the draft analyst) said recently that if Brannstrom would have been one inch taller, he would be in the discussion for the first overall pick in the draft. Dynamic offensive skills from a team not scared about size (as we saw last year by their selection of Alex DeBrincat, which has been an absolute steal).

27. STL - Conor Timmins
    The Blues took a player with high risk/high reward with their first pick, so I think they go with a player with low risk but maybe not such high reward with their second. Looking at their depth chart, they're stacked everywhere, especially at forward, and their top dmen (Schmaltz, Dunn and Walman) are all offensive dmen, so they go with a solid all around dman in Timmins who should be a second pairing dman that can play in all situations.

Only 4 teams left, and I plan on updating my mock draft as the order becomes know. There are a bunch of players who could fill out those spots such as Robert Thomas, Henri Jokiharju, Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Josh Norris, Grant Mismash, Kole Lind, Pierre-Olivier Joseph and the biggest wildcard in this year's draft, Kailer Yamamoto. Plus, who knows when the run on goalies will start.

The Great One

I love Tolvanen- I cant really fault your top 15 selections but do we really think hes falling this far? Im secretly hoping the Jets knab him- but again cant fault the logic of your pick and they certainly have enough goal scoring depth at this point.

Klim would be a fantastic swing for the fences. A Tank/Kostin tandem would be a nightmare for opposing defenses- their size/skillsets are a dream situation on paper...

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    I love Tolvanen- I cant really fault your top 15 selections but do we really think hes falling this far? Im secretly hoping the Jets knab him- but again cant fault the logic of your pick and they certainly have enough goal scoring depth at this point.
    you are correct that it is hard to believe that tolvanen could fall that far, but at the same time, if we put him into the top 15 or so, then we'll be taking out a martin necas, Kristian vesalainen or elias pettersson, and then we'll be left saying "how did necas fall so far". it's just that kind of draft. there will be a few guys available closer to 20 that it'll be hard to believe they're there, but it'll still make perfect sense when you look at the big picture. especially when you have teams like the jets that will not be taking a top scorer like those guys - even if they don't take lias andersson as I project, they'd go D and take valimaki, they wouldn't take one of those top line scorers. tampa is another team with an abundance of top scorers all through their system and will be looking for a D or a more hard nosed player.

Dobber Sports Stud

Here is my revised mock draft. I changed a few of the picks from what I had previous done. I also added a 2nd round.

1st round:
    1. NJ - Nico Hischier
    2. PHI - Nolan Patrick
    3. DAL - Miro Heiskanen
    4. COL - Cale Makar
    5. VAN - Gabe Vilardi
    6. VEG - Cody Glass
    7. PHO - Casey Mittelstadt
    8. BUF - Owen Tippett
    9. DET - Elias Pettersson
    10. FLA - Michael Rasmussen
    11. LA - Martin Necas
    12. CAR - Nick Suzuki
    13. WIN - Lias Anderssen
    14. TB - Tim Liljegren
    15. NYI - Jusso Valimaki
    16. CAL - Kristian Vesalainen
    17. TOR - Urho Vaakanainen
    18. BOS - Eeli Tolvanen
    19. SJ - Ryan Poehling
    20. STL - Klim Kostin
    21. NYR - Cal Foote
    22. EDM - Isaac Ratcliffe
    23. ARI - Kailer Yamamoto
    24. CLB - Shane Bowers
    25. MTL - Josh Norris
    26. CHI - Erik Brannstrom
    27. STL - Connor Timmins
    28. OTT - Pierre-Olivier Joseph
    29. DAL - Jason Robertson
    30. NAS - Henri Jokiharju
    31. PIT - Jaret Anderson-Dolan

2nd round:
    32. COL - Robin Salo
    33. VAN - Nic Hague
    34. VEG - Kole Lind
    35. ARI - Maxime Comtois
    36. NJ - Grant Mismash
    37. BUF - Matthew Strome
    38. DET - Josh Brook
    39. DAL - Jake Oettinger
    40. FLA - Filip Chytil
    41. LA - Robert Thomas
    42. CAR - Marcus Davidsson
    43. WIN - Ian Mitchell
    44. PHI - Joni Ikonen
    45. TB - Ivan Lodnia
    46. NYI - Nikita Popugaev
    47. OTT - Michael Dipietro
    48. TB - Ostap Safin
    49. NJ - David Farramce
    50. ANA - Max Gildon
    51. STL - Ivan Chekhovich
    52. CAR - Ukko-Pekka Lehkonen
    53. BOS - Antoine Morand
    54. BUF - Markus Phillips
    55. VAN - Morgan Frost
    56. MTL - Jonah Gadjovich
    57. CHI - Scott Reedy
    58. MTL - Dmitri Samorukov
    59. TOR - Morgan Geekie
    60. ANA - Aleksi Heponiemi
    61. NAS - Alexei Lipanov
    62. CAR - Cale Fleury

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I like the look of this top 6 group for sure. Everyone seems to look at Vilardi vs. Glass, and I admit I'm stumped on who will be better as well. The history of being a C in the WHL has not been nearly as kind as those from the OHL - I know it's a random observation but looking back you don't see centres develop in the NHL that played in the Dub (Getzlaf, then ?). I don't like it being a factor, but there is a trend there and I'm curious how it works between these two.

Great mock once again!
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by First Round Pick View Post
    I like the look of this top 6 group for sure. Everyone seems to look at Vilardi vs. Glass, and I admit I'm stumped on who will be better as well. The history of being a C in the WHL has not been nearly as kind as those from the OHL - I know it's a random observation but looking back you don't see centres develop in the NHL that played in the Dub (Getzlaf, then ?). I don't like it being a factor, but there is a trend there and I'm curious how it works between these two.

Great mock once again!
    i also debated between vilardi vs glass on who would go higher. I think that vilardi's memorial cup performance should push him over the top, especially since from what I've been reading about jim benning's desires in this draft, he seems to fit the bill perfectly (playmaking center). I then had glass going to vegas, since he would be a great ryan johansen-like center to build a team around from scratch. originally I had vegas taking mittelstadt, who would also be a great player to start off a franchise with, but if glass is available, I can't see them passing on him. it's pretty clear that in today's nhl, you build from the center position. you can't trade for those guys, you can only draft them (although the same can be said for dmen, but there aren't any worth taking at this point).

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Stud

I didn't post the explanations for my picks this time, as it would take too long, but if anyone is curious as to why I picked certain guys in each place, feel free to ask and i'll let you know my reasoning.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

The Great One

I wouldnt be surprised to see Pettersson go before Glass or Vilardi

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I wouldnt be surprised to see Pettersson go before Glass or Vilardi
    in this year's draft, anything can happen. at the same time, it's hard for me to see someone who is probably a winger at the top level going before top six centers. I did think about putting pettersson at #7 instead of tippett (to Arizona).

this is one of the more unpredictable drafts in recent memory, so yeah, pettersson could go top 5, and he could very easily slip out of the top 10. all that is set in this year's draft is hischier and Patrick at the top, and I think heiskanen is a pretty good bet to go #3. after that, anything can happen.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.