Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2017; The Summer of the RFAs!!

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: 2017; The Summer of the RFAs!!

I don't think there will be any offer sheets. Three days before the season started last year, Hampus Lindholm, Jacob Trouba, Rickard Rakell, Nikita Kucherov and Johnny Gaudreau were unsigned. You think someone would have sent an offer.

I still remember when Stamkos was an RFA in the summer of 2011. He was 20 or 21 years old, already had two 90-point seasons and a 50-goal season. The way I look at it, is if no one is willing to offer Stamkos a contract when was one of the best players in the league, then why offer a contract to someone like Drouin?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Star

Great points, Lawman. Also, with regards to the draft picks, the team team making the offer has to have all of the draft picks. And it has to be the team's original draft pick. If you don't have all of the draft picks involved if the player's team does not match, then you aren't allowed to make the offer in the first place.

In my keeper league, we have similar rules in place to snatch players away from other GMs, and like the NHL, nobody in my league ever submits an offer because it's considered to be "bad form". Frankly, it drives me nuts that it is never taken advantage of.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Veteran

There is also the revenge factor. Like when Vancouver signed Backes to an offer sheet and 1 week later the Blues signed Bernier to one.

Dobber Sports Master

I'm a little surprised the 1.8>>>3.6 (2nd round pick penalty) one doesnt get used on guys coming off elc's .

for example , a team that really likes ryan strome could have put the islanders out of their comfort zone last summer .

I just used strome as an example so dont pound me for that haha .

Dobber Sports Titan

Some good points here, and I think a lot of what I wanted to say was covered. I agree that:
    -NHL GMs aren't taking risks
    -They don't want to hurt trade relations
    -It is a bit of an unwritten rule
    -Draft picks are highly valued
    -Players don't want to sign elsewhere as that may hurt relations with the team

I also wanted to put out the fact that to make an offer sheet worthwhile, you have to be paying the player more than the team that currently owns their rights, would want to (or be able to) match. With cap space at such a premium, it doesn't make sense to be trading away draft picks in order to hurt their cap situations. There are just so many intricacies to the process, that by the end of it, a lot of the time it doesn't make sense.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I'm a little surprised the 1.8>>>3.6 (2nd round pick penalty) one doesnt get used on guys coming off elc's .

for example , a team that really likes ryan strome could have put the islanders out of their comfort zone last summer .

I just used strome as an example so dont pound me for that haha .
    Based on Rylant's comment above (team needs their own pick to offer sheet) I looked into the second round for this season. According to this page:
    https://www.prosportstransactions.co...Years/2017.htm

As many as 12 teams don't have their own 2nd round pick this year so they're ineligible to make an offer sheet in this amount so already a third of the league is out on that possibility.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    In the case of the Avs and Flames, The GMs of both teams had changed by the time the trade was made.
    This is the reason I don't know why we don't see more -- most of these guys won't last long enough for revenge to be an issue. They play the short game on contracts they sign (and no-move clauses). Why not here?

Why wouldn't a guy like Chayka try to steal somebody? Gotta think Terry Murray could've used an RFA addition or two in the last couple years.

It's available. Dumb not to use it. Especially in the situations where it's clear a team is handcuffed. Make them pay for their cap issues.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    As many as 12 teams don't have their own 2nd round pick this year so they're ineligible to make an offer sheet in this amount so already a third of the league is out on that possibility.
    Hmmm, very good findings here! That means that most scenarios are off the board as well. Very interesting indeed!

Thanks for pointing that out Rylant and props to LawMan for finding the stats!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    This is the reason I don't know why we don't see more -- most of these guys won't last long enough for revenge to be an issue. They play the short game on contracts they sign (and no-move clauses). Why not here?

Why wouldn't a guy like Chayka try to steal somebody? Gotta think Terry Murray could've used an RFA addition or two in the last couple years.

It's available. Dumb not to use it. Especially in the situations where it's clear a team is handcuffed. Make them pay for their cap issues.
    Yep, this is exactly what Doug Wilson did to Stan Bowman after the Hawks 2010 Cup. He offer sheeted Hjalmarsson, and the Hawks matched it. That forced their hand to let Niemi go, who signed with the Sharks. The Hawks and Sharks have made deals since then.... so I'm not really sure what the problem is.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Based on Rylant's comment above (team needs their own pick to offer sheet) I looked into the second round for this season. According to this page:
    https://www.prosportstransactions.co...Years/2017.htm

The 2017 draft won't matter for RFA compensation since the free agency window opens after the 2017 NHL draft. The draft picks would be from the 2018 entry draft.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    The 2017 draft won't matter for RFA compensation since the free agency window opens after the 2017 NHL draft. The draft picks would be from the 2018 entry draft.
    You are correct, good catch. That being said There are already 6 teams who have moved their 2nd in 2018, after the draft it could easily be in the 10-12 range again.

https://www.prosportstransactions.co...Years/2018.htm
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It is my firm opinion that if every Pacific division team doesn't offer a max contact to McDavid, then they care about winning less than they care about protecting their boys club.

Especially in division, where trading is rare, there is zero downside to offering McDavid a max term, max money deal. He's worth the money and the 4 first round draft picks, and you don't have to worry about the money anyways because Edmonton will match.

Dobber Sports Guru

It is my firm opinion that if every Pacific division team doesn't offer a max contact to McDavid, then they care about winning less than they care about protecting their boys club.

Especially in division, where trading is rare, there is zero downside to offering McDavid a max term, max money deal. He's worth the money and the 4 first round draft picks, and you don't have to worry about the money anyways because Edmonton will match.
    I don't think he'll reach free agency. He's not eligible for an offer sheet until the summer of 2018. The Oilers will lock him up way before then.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I don't think he'll reach free agency. He's not eligible for an offer sheet until the summer of 2018. The Oilers will lock him up way before then.
    I agree. I just mean if he gets to the stage where it's a possibility.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I agree. I just mean if he gets to the stage where it's a possibility.
    Ya but can you imagine the number on that sheet??!! It would have to make sense in regards the offering team's cap but I'm sure that no matter how it goes, McDavid's next contract should be the biggest one signed yet IMO.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay