Thread: Keep F. Forsberg or D. Hamilton?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Keep F. Forsberg or D. Hamilton?

We keep 5 players each year and right now I have 6 keepers to choose from: Crosby, Benn, Simmonds and Buff are locks (unless convinced otherwise), leaving me with D. Hamilton and F. Forsberg to fill the final spot. Who would you keep? I don't think packaging them in a 2 for 1 deal is feasible. I know I could get an asset in exchange for Forsberg: either a draft pick upgrade or a rookie (we keep 5 rookie players as well)...the rookie would be in the B. Point or Tkachuk type player category who would be an upgrade on some of my other rookie keepers. As a final note, I also have Klingberg, but I rank him lower than Hamilton and Forsberg. Thanks! Will rep.
    10 teams, weekly matchup, play 3LW, 3C, 3RW, 4D, 2G per night
    Scoring for skaters: G (4), A (2.5), +/- (.5), BLKS (.2), HITS (.2), SOG (.2), PIMS (.25), PPG (1), PPA (.5), SHG (3), GWG (1)
    Scoring for goalies: W (3), S/O (5), SV(0.2), GA(-1)

The Great One

Default Re: Keep F. Forsberg or D. Hamilton?

First off, you are right to value Hamilton more than Klingberg in your league (if you need affirmation, check out my recent cage match pitting them against each other). I think Hamilton gets the nod, mostly because his SOG and PIM are quite good and he scored like a monster after the first quarter of 2016-17. Plus, it sounds like you can get a small asset for Forsberg, but not for Hamilton, so that further tilts the scales. I'm just a bit surprised someone won't overpay you for Klingberg, since in most leagues people are still tantalized by him.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Jedi

If you could get Tkachuk for F.F. when keeping Hamilton, I'd be all over it. A pretty solid return on a player with limited value due to drop potential.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    If you could get Tkachuk for F.F. when keeping Hamilton, I'd be all over it. A pretty solid return on a player with limited value due to drop potential.
    I second this. Get tkatchuk in your setup and keep Hamilton.

If you cant get tkatchuk or a similar caliber rookie player in return I like Forsberg over Hamilton straight up. The weighting on goals at 4 points (and pp points) puts me over the edge here. Forsberg is a lock for 30 and I think pushes for 40 the next few years. It's hard to find 30 goal scorers so I keep him if I can't get the return I'm looking for.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Sage

I came back and revisited... I like Forsberg alot here. The weighting on points (specifically goals) is much more favourable than the peripherals. After some thought I think I try first to keep Forsberg and move Hamilton + a rookie for a better rookie or a draft pick.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    I came back and revisited... I like Forsberg alot here. The weighting on points (specifically goals) is much more favourable than the peripherals. After some thought I think I try first to keep Forsberg and move Hamilton + a rookie for a better rookie or a draft pick.
    Yeah, the goal heavy scoring system in our league is also why I'm a bit hesitant to move on from Forsberg. But my thought process is this: not to underestimate 30 goal scorers, but their were 26 of them this year including the likes of Skinnner, Lee, Oshie, Rakell, Carter, Kadri, Eaves and Marchessault. I feel like I have a better (or at least equal) chance at redrafting a few of these type forwards who will be 30 goal scorers then I do at redrafting a defensemen like Hamilton who was 9th in points among Dmen and had the 3rd highest SOG total. DH was also underutilized on the top PP and was held back by his low ice time, which should change next year. Plus, I could potentially get a solid rookie in return for F.F. But on the same hand, I tend to want the best player available regardless, which could be Forsberg, especially if he threatens for 40 goals. But in terms of asset management it might be best to sell FF and hold onto DH.
    10 teams, weekly matchup, play 3LW, 3C, 3RW, 4D, 2G per night
    Scoring for skaters: G (4), A (2.5), +/- (.5), BLKS (.2), HITS (.2), SOG (.2), PIMS (.25), PPG (1), PPA (.5), SHG (3), GWG (1)
    Scoring for goalies: W (3), S/O (5), SV(0.2), GA(-1)

Dobber Sports Genius

General rule of thunb (I think): Keep a 4th forward over a 2nd D in a keep 5 league.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    General rule of thunb (I think): Keep a 4th forward over a 2nd D in a keep 5 league.
    I agree here. Forsberg is the way to go.

Dobber Sports Padawan

This comes down to the return I could get for either player as I value them pretty equally (I tend to lean towards Hamilton as I'm a bit of a fanboy of him on my teams). If you can get Tkachuk for Forsberg and not for Hamilton then I go that route. As mentioned you cannot go wrong keeping a 30g forward but I would favor getting the best possible asset in a trade for one of the two.