Thread: Acadia vs Traverse vs Explorer

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Acadia vs Traverse vs Explorer

Hello fellow Dobberites,

What is your recommendation for a 7 Passenger SUV? And Why?

We have narrowed it down to the Acadia, Traverse and Explorer.

Thanks.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Acadia vs Traverse vs Explorer

I have a subscription to consumer reports.
    If you like I can research it and share a page with you.

Too much baby-making?

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I have a subscription to consumer reports.
    If you like I can research it and share a page with you.

Too much baby-making?
    Hey appreciate the offer! I have looked at consumer reports.. wanted first hand experience if anyone had any.

And no, just one baby... but we have a dog and an oversized stroller and go camping a fair bit (tent, coolers, etc) ... fitting it all into the Edge does not quite work.

Dobber Sports Genius

Get yourslef a Kia Sedona and don't look back. Minivan! Minivan! Minivan! Minivan!
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

The Magnificent One

I'd shy away from the Explorer - it's seemingly not kept up well with other offerings within the segment. The Traverse is considered a "Large" SUV, whereas the others are in the midsized range, FWIW.

Why only those three? Just curious. FWIW, my vote would go toward the Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot or Mazda CX-9. But of the three you listed, I'd say the Traverse is the clear choice. Also, you probably can find a Traverse for extra cheap since it's getting a major overhaul in Fall 2017, so they'll be eager to blow out the remaining models at very good prices. Or you could wait for the new model to arrive.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I'd shy away from the Explorer - it's seemingly not kept up well with other offerings within the segment. The Traverse is considered a "Large" SUV, whereas the others are in the midsized range, FWIW.

Why only those three? Just curious. FWIW, my vote would go toward the Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot or Mazda CX-9. But of the three you listed, I'd say the Traverse is the clear choice. Also, you probably can find a Traverse for extra cheap since it's getting a major overhaul in Fall 2017, so they'll be eager to blow out the remaining models at very good prices. Or you could wait for the new model to arrive.
    Those three because my father-in-law is old school and he is a mechanic... so it is Ford or GM. haha

Is the Traverse really a different segment, is it not Chev equivalent to the Acadia?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Are you buying new or used? If used, what year (ish)?

We just picked up a 2013 Highlander AWD about 6 months, 7 seater and my wife loves it. You're going to pay a premium for the Toyota though. They just hold their value more. Our last 2 vehicles were both Kia Sorento and they have great safety and reliability ratings, and are quite inexpensive as well. Ours were only 5 seaters though. I would absolutely suggest them if you're open to looking at other vehicles.

Out of the three you've mentioned I would also avoid the Explorer for sure. The Acadia and Traverse are both in that same range and it's probably a matter of just taking both for a test drive and deciding which one you like more. Also price.

Seriously though, Sorento or Highlander if you change your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Are you buying new or used? If used, what year (ish)?

We just picked up a 2013 Highlander AWD about 6 months, 7 seater and my wife loves it. You're going to pay a premium for the Toyota though. They just hold their value more. Our last 2 vehicles were both Kia Sorento and they have great safety and reliability ratings, and are quite inexpensive as well. Ours were only 5 seaters though. I would absolutely suggest them if you're open to looking at other vehicles.

Out of the three you've mentioned I would also avoid the Explorer for sure. The Acadia and Traverse are both in that same range and it's probably a matter of just taking both for a test drive and deciding which one you like more. Also price.

Seriously though, Sorento or Highlander if you change your mind!
    If we can find a good one used it will be 2014-15ish range... We like to commit to keeping a vehicle for a long time... driving a 2006 Edge right now.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    If we can find a good one used it will be 2014-15ish range... We like to commit to keeping a vehicle for a long time... driving a 2006 Edge right now.
    I'd go with the Traverse then. Have fun. I always enjoy the car buying process.

Dobber Sports Jedi

No consideration for a Outlander? Mitsubishi. My brother in law has one.. it's a pretty decent vehicle, maybe it's the 7th seat trunk space you're left with that made you pass? it does seem to get a bit small back there if that is being used.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ace

Ive had a few pilots. Never gave me any issues and were decent in snow etc. with 3rd row in a seated position, the trunk is not big though. Only issue is what was said before about a highlander, pricey. But you said you're going to commit long term,so maybe spending the cash makes sense?

I have heard a lot of people raving about he more recent kias as well though

Dobber Sports Icon

i ma GM guy..Traverse/Acadia for me...
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt