Thread: Noob Help

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Noob Help

Hey guys, I'm new to fantasy hockey and it showed this year as I came 10th in a 16 team league and missed the playoffs. My team for this league is in my signature. A guy really wants my Freddy Andersen but I can't determine the value of goalies in this league. The cats are G, A, SOG, STP, PIM, HIT, BLK, SV, SV%, GPt10 (Wins + 2 points for Shutouts). He's offering some of his good young guys like Provorov and Drouin and since I'd need a goalie back his goalies are MAF, Mrazek, Pickard. Basically I'm asking what direction I should go to improve my team and any help would be gladly apprecieted!
    HashSlinginSlashers
    Welcome Back Hockey (15 → 20 Keepers)
    14 team Yahoo H2H Cats
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK
    C – Scheifele, Barzal, Hischier, Kadri, Walmark, Zajac
    LW – Forsberg, Schenn, Lee, Keller, Tanev
    RW – Konecny, Palmieri, Kubliak, Kapanen
    D – Pietrangelo, Dahlin, Trouba, Nurse, Subban (DTD), Gudas, Savard
    G – Korpisalo (O), Ullmark (O), Saros, Talbot

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Noob Help

How many goalies do you start per day? In a 16 team league that really dictates value.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    How many goalies do you start per day? In a 16 team league that really dictates value.
    Yeap, this is exactly right. And if you have Andersen and Allen, you are definitely dealing from a position of strength!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Two goalies starts per day.
    HashSlinginSlashers
    Welcome Back Hockey (15 → 20 Keepers)
    14 team Yahoo H2H Cats
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK
    C – Scheifele, Barzal, Hischier, Kadri, Walmark, Zajac
    LW – Forsberg, Schenn, Lee, Keller, Tanev
    RW – Konecny, Palmieri, Kubliak, Kapanen
    D – Pietrangelo, Dahlin, Trouba, Nurse, Subban (DTD), Gudas, Savard
    G – Korpisalo (O), Ullmark (O), Saros, Talbot

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Hold Andersen.
    Goalies are EXTREMELY valuable in a 16-team start 2G format.
    I mean... there's only 30 NHL #1 goalies at any given time... and in your format, your teams need 32!

Personally, I don't even like 14-18 teams leagues because a 1G format makes goalie value too little... and 2G format makes goalie value too high.
    The Leafs are going to be a really good team moving forward, so hold Andersen and enjoy the ride!!!

I think you'll rise naturally in the standings now that you have two bonafide goalies that wills start 65g and win 35 of them!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Hold Andersen.
    Goalies are EXTREMELY valuable in a 16-team start 2G format.
    I mean... there's only 30 NHL #1 goalies at any given time... and in your format, your teams need 32!

Personally, I don't even like 14-18 teams leagues because a 1G format makes goalie value too little... and 2G format makes goalie value too high.
    The Leafs are going to be a really good team moving forward, so hold Andersen and enjoy the ride!!!

I think you'll rise naturally in the standings now that you have two bonafide goalies that wills start 65g and win 35 of them!
    This hits the nail square on the head.

Dobber Sports Star

Yup, I'm with EB and Peng on this one. It's a well-known preference of mine to stockpile goalies in leagues where demand is severe, and Pengwin hit the demand point already. I'd try and accumulate more if you can... you get the dual benefit of both smoking your competition through production itself and simultaneously damaging every other team through scarcity. Yum, that's some tasty leverage.

With 30% of your scoring stats in goal (and 20% of your scoring stats being goalie start volume rather than ratio) you ain't gonna win this league without 2 goalies.

Put another way, if I'm dealing a goalie in this format, it's not going to be for anything less than a top-30 skater.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I decided to refresh before I responded. Glad I did. as what I was going to say has been written. Andersen is the hot ticket right now. Leafs are on the rise & people are trying to buy in before he takes off. No reason, with the Leafs adding a top 4Dman this summer, a couple other defensive improvements Andersen can't double his SO's from last year and push 40W.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd stand pat too. Perhaps try to acquire a goalie or a good 1B backup if you could. You have quite a few guys that should make the jump to the NHL this year, so try moving some of your wingers for a goalie or D upgrade

Also when people say n00b:
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Star

Also, just to follow up on the OP's initial question... to improve your team and win this league, you don't need scorers. Yes, it's helpful to have them so you might pick off an offensive category or two, but let's look.

G, A, SOG, STP, PIM, HIT, BLK, SV, SV%, GPt10

I've highlighted those skater stats that are generally associated with scoring in
    green, and those that are relatively independent in blue. What stands out to me here is that whomever designed this league tried to include more scoring categories to make it more interesting, but instead they (I'm assuming inadvertently) designed a league where the very best strategy would be to go with scorers and goalies... but those players are generally sought after pretty hard. Grinders that don't score? Probably not so much. The smart strategy is to go with grinders and 3 starting goalies, and you can probably nail down with surety 5 out of your 10 categories every week, with SV% and/or SOG being the swing.

You need to shuffle things around. Any skater on your team that gets less than 50 PIM, 80-100 hits should be shown the door. Your D, in particular, you should be aiming for 100 hits and 150 blocks per guy. Build around PIM, hits, blocks, and great goaltending. When it comes to your top scoring names, sacrifice G, A, STP for volume shooters, even if they're less productive. Go chase down Evander Kane. He's a monster here. Get more goalies, gamble on those guys for your minors roster because if they land a starting gig you are laughing.

Have fun!

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    Also, just to follow up on the OP's initial question... to improve your team and win this league, you don't need scorers. Yes, it's helpful to have them so you might pick off an offensive category or two, but let's look.

G, A, SOG, STP, PIM, HIT, BLK, SV, SV%, GPt10

I've highlighted those skater stats that are generally associated with scoring in
    green, and those that are relatively independent in blue. What stands out to me here is that whomever designed this league tried to include more scoring categories to make it more interesting, but instead they (I'm assuming inadvertently) designed a league where the very best strategy would be to go with scorers and goalies... but those players are generally sought after pretty hard. Grinders that don't score? Probably not so much. The smart strategy is to go with grinders and 3 starting goalies, and you can probably nail down with surety 5 out of your 10 categories every week, with SV% and/or SOG being the swing.

You need to shuffle things around. Any skater on your team that gets less than 50 PIM, 80-100 hits should be shown the door. Your D, in particular, you should be aiming for 100 hits and 150 blocks per guy. Build around PIM, hits, blocks, and great goaltending. When it comes to your top scoring names, sacrifice G, A, STP for volume shooters, even if they're less productive. Go chase down Evander Kane. He's a monster here. Get more goalies, gamble on those guys for your minors roster because if they land a starting gig you are laughing.

Have fun!
    SLOW CLAP!

Great advise once again from FHG.

I have followed his advice since I started getting into leagues like this 4 years ago. I am currently in two leagues and have won 4 championships over the four years. This is 100% due to FHG and his breakdowns and strategies and how to apply them to specific leagues.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

The Great One

Based on the above answers, and IMO, would have to be a hell of an overpayment alla Fleury, Drouin and Provorov for me to even start to think about it
    Experience is the teacher of all things.