Thread: Interesting defensemen PP time and PPPts data I dug up

The Great One

Default Interesting defensemen PP time and PPPts data I dug up

Here's an interesting stat I happened to notice in researching an upcoming cage match piece.

In 2013-14, there were 85 defensemen who had a total of 100 or more minutes of 5x4 time
    In 2014-15, there were 78 defensemen who had a total of 100 or more minutes of 5x4 time
    In 2015-16, there were 75 defensemen who had a total of 100 or more minutes of 5x4 time
    In 2016-17, there were 70 defensemen who had a total of 100 or more minutes of 5x4 time

So over the course of just a couple of seasons, there's been nearly a 20% drop in the number of defensemen who get 100+ minutes of PP Time. I would not have guessed that, although I think a lot of it is the increasing trend of teams using 4F and just 1D on PP1, plus teams relying more on true PP QBs while at the same time giving less PP Time to versatile d-men who can be more valuably deployed as ES or on the PK.

I think it also emphasizes that if PPPts are a category in your league, gone may be the days when you could grab a fringe d-men and figure he'll be good for a decent number of PPPts, as sure enough while this has been happening there's been a corresponding scoring decrease:

In 2013-14, a total of 32 d-men had between 6 and 10 PPPts
    In 2014-15, the total was 28
    In 2015-16, the total was 26.
    In 2016-17, the total was 20.

Do people think these trends will continue, or have we seen the worst of them?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Interesting defensemen PP time and PPPts data I dug up

Is this a result of more and more teams going with 4 forwards and 1 D on the powerplay? That would be my guess.

And if that is the reasoning that I think that the trend should not continue to decrease but should flatten out soon. Majority of teams use the 4 Forwards 1 D system so there is not much lower it could go based on that.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Interesting read. My thought is that it should start flowing back the other way.. I may be wrong but it seems like more really skilled young d men are coming.

Dobber Sports Novice

I think this has more to do with the general trend of less powerplays league wide than anything:

2013: 3.27 PP per team per game
    2014: 3.05 PP per team per game
    2015: 3.11 PP per team per game
    2016: 2.98 PP per team per game
    Keep 10: G, A, PPP, SHP, Wins, Save %

4xC,LW,RW,D 2xG, 3xprospects, no bench

C: Eichel, Tavares, Pettersson, Larkin
    LW: Guentzel, Olofsson, Vrana, Keller
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Bjorkstrand, Zucker
    D: Letang, Werenski, Slavvin, Chychrun
    G: Bobrovsky, Rask
    Prospects: Samsonov, Blackwood, Kakko

Bold: Keepers, Italics: Not eligible to be kept

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jcheung29 View Post
    I think this has more to do with the general trend of less powerplays league wide than anything:

Combination of both I would say. It has a lot of contributing factors that affect it. # of PPs per game are decreasing. Teams are more often using 4F and 1D. And every team in overtime uses 3F 1D. But penalty distribution would affect it too.

If Pittsburgh, who usually only use 2 D, gets an increase in PP, compared to NJ who uses 4, then # of D over 100 decreases. Injuries too. I'm sure Letang was on pace to be over 100, but I'm also sure he wasn't over 100. Lots of factors.

I think ultimately, the trend will flatten out relatively soon. I don't think the number will fall below 60, unless we see a drastic reduction in penalties called.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Here's an interesting stat I happened to notice in researching an upcoming cage match piece.

In 2013-14, there were 85 defensemen who had a total of 100 or more minutes of 5x4 time
    In 2014-15, there were 78 defensemen who had a total of 100 or more minutes of 5x4 time
    In 2015-16, there were 75 defensemen who had a total of 100 or more minutes of 5x4 time
    In 2016-17, there were 70 defensemen who had a total of 100 or more minutes of 5x4 time

So over the course of just a couple of seasons, there's been nearly a 20% drop in the number of defensemen who get 100+ minutes of PP Time. I would not have guessed that, although I think a lot of it is the increasing trend of teams using 4F and just 1D on PP1, plus teams relying more on true PP QBs while at the same time giving less PP Time to versatile d-men who can be more valuably deployed as ES or on the PK.

I think it also emphasizes that if PPPts are a category in your league, gone may be the days when you could grab a fringe d-men and figure he'll be good for a decent number of PPPts, as sure enough while this has been happening there's been a corresponding scoring decrease:

In 2013-14, a total of 32 d-men had between 6 and 10 PPPts
    In 2014-15, the total was 28
    In 2015-16, the total was 26.
    In 2016-17, the total was 20.

Do people think these trends will continue, or have we seen the worst of them?
    Wonder what the PP% are in comparison to this ?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by jcheung29 View Post

Good find - it's consistent with the data, so I did a bit more digging to get the numbers for forwards with 100+ minutes of 5x4 time, and here's how it looks:

2013-14 = 202
    2014-15 = 195
    2015-16 = 201
    2016-17 = 199

Lo and behold, it's a flatline. To me, that suggests it's indeed an emphasis on 4F, 1D for PP1, plus increased specialization of defensemen, more so than reduced PP chances (which, don't get me wrong, aren't helping their cause).
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Great thread (REP).
    Yes, absolutely, most teams are running 4F/1D powerplays.
    I think a general finding is to have the D man centered on the point with sniper forwards atop either circle... and two other forwards buzzing.
    A lot of teams have been really effective with this.

Part... is that I think putting a D on the left and right point, being longer distances, are simply too far.

So yes, in fantasy formats, PPP is absolutely the MOST valuable stat.
    In any one-year league with decent draft depth - say 12 teams x 4D or more... finding a 10 PPP defense on the waiver wire late season
    ... um, impossible!
    In many of my start of season threads when I'm giving advice, the first thing I ask is for positional allocation because of this:
    In a 10 team 9F/4D league, I value the 60pt PP1 forward over the 40pt PP1 D-man.
    In a 12 team 6F/4D league, I value the 40pt PP1 D-man over the 60pt PP1 forward.

And... it's as you say... how many PP1 D-man are there?
    If 24 teams (say) run a 4F/1D, that's 24D on PP1.
    If 6 teams (say) run a 3F/2D, that's 12D on PP1.
    36D with PP1 time.
    So yes - they start to run out QUICKLY in most league, especially if its multi-cat and they need to have some statistical balance.

Funny thing... I did pretty shitty in all of my one-year pools this year.
    Except one.
    In a one-year by LOTR, I drafted D-men for FOUR straight rounds, then G-G in 5/6, then forwards.
    I finished first in that one and still felt like my team was inferior all season.

Heavy D & some more D...
    Oh yeah.