Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sid and the Kids broken up?

The Great One

Default Re: Sid and the Kids broken up?

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Well Hornqvist is in that spot, not Kunitz. It's more about sending a message to Sheary, who has been abysmal.
    Um - or maybe, just maybe, it's about opting to go with the guy who had 9 goals in 24 playoff games last year rather than the one regular season wonder? Playoffs usually aren't about sending messages - they're about getting the team on the ice which has the best shot at winning.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Please explain why my statement "the list of players who were pronounced by many as the "real deal" after 40 regular season games and then DIDN'T pan out is probably at least 10 times as long as the list of those who did" is incorrect. Then, tell me how me pointing that out isn't helping people as much if not more than you trying to sell them on Guentzel kool-aid?

Look - I'd love nothing more than Guentzel panning out, and he certainly still could. Hockey is better when there are high flying lines, especially ones with Sid on them. But the odds simply don't favor it actually happening. Plus, even if he does pan out, there's the factor of how much one would have to pay to get him, or the draft spot you'd have to reach to assuredly grab him. Why risk it?
    To your first part. I actually never said it was incorrect, I said your statement of "I'll just keep winning" was pretentious and unhelpful, which it was.

But you're right, you do love your numbers and odds. So much that you have a blind inability to look past them, and will keep banging your head against a wall touting them, even when you've long been proven wrong. Look through the history of cage matches for examples.

Advice of "don't bother", instead of useful projections and cost estimates are again, entirely unhelpful.

The Great One

To your first part. I actually never said it was incorrect, I said your statement of "I'll just keep winning" was pretentious and unhelpful, which it was.

But you're right, you do love your numbers and odds. So much that you have a blind inability to look past them, and will keep banging your head against a wall touting them, even when you've long been proven wrong. Look through the history of cage matches for examples.

Advice of "don't bother", instead of useful projections and cost estimates are again, entirely unhelpful.
    You have it into me so much that even when I don't use numbers, you think I am. And LOL if you think "ten times as many" is tantamount to me using numbers.

Face it - you don't like me, which is fine. I happen to think you're a net positive around here and I like that you speak your mind. If, unlike most, you can't see the value I provide with my posts and column, then I'm not gonna lose any sleep over that.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Um - or maybe, just maybe, it's about opting to go with the guy who had 9 goals in 24 playoff games last year rather than the one regular season wonder? Playoffs usually aren't about sending messages - they're about getting the team on the ice which has the best shot at winning.
    You're right oh holy one. That's for sure why they started with Guentzal-Crosby-Sheary in RD1 and stuck with it until the third period of game 5. Because deep down they really wanted Hornqvist in that spot, but wanted to wait until the first series was won to unleash it. Brilliant observation, I don't know how I missed it. Good thing we have someone like you inside the organization to keep us all informed.

The Great One

You're right oh holy one. That's for sure why they started with Guentzal-Crosby-Sheary in RD1 and stuck with it until the third period of game 5. Because deep down they really wanted Hornqvist in that spot, but wanted to wait until the first series was won to unleash it. Brilliant observation, I don't know how I missed it. Good thing we have someone like you inside the organization to keep us all informed.
    I guess I'm not as dialed in as you, who somehow can figure out when the Pens brass is trying to send messages to players. Do tell us more Mr. McKenzie.

But the odds simply don't favor it actually happening.
    This statement is the crux of the majority of your arguments. It's a factor you invariably cannot look past in most conversations. The "odds" are that Sheary and Guentzal, as a UDFA and 3rd round pick, would never see an NHL shift. So the "odds" are already broken. We're at the point of anomaly. So basing your opinion off of this (which you do), is irrelevant.

You have it into me so much that even when I don't use numbers, you think I am. And LOL if you think "ten times as many" is tantamount to me using numbers.

Face it - you don't like me, which is fine. I happen to think you're a net positive around here and I like that you speak your mind. If, unlike most, you can't see the value I provide with my posts and column, then I'm not gonna lose any sleep over that.
    Of course people love to fall back on this line. I don't like or dislike you. I'm pretty much indifferent on you. If I disliked you, I would block you. It's a really simple function on this website. I've used it with two people. I dislike most of your arguments, because they commonly contain a logical fallacy which you fail to address or look past. Inherently, that makes it significantly harder to find people who will beat their ADP, which is the single most beneficial way to win fantasy hockey. But to say you're not using numbers is false, because your entire opinion is based on a statistical percentage, which is a number.

If you'd like evidence that Sullivan is attempting to get Sheary back to playing his own game, and also would like to pay to get past a paywall, here you go:

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2...bonino-wilson/

The Great One

Inherently, that makes it significantly harder to find people who will beat their ADP, which is the single most beneficial way to win fantasy hockey.
    I honestly believe that the way you win in fantasy hockey is know your opponents and exploit their weaknesses or tendencies, but also to see things objectively first and foremost. Sure there is room for gut instincts and logic based on things other than numbers, but far too many poolies go overboard and suffer for it. My posts and columns are utilitarian in their goals, and as a result I lean a lot on numbers. Not to the exclusion of logic or instinct, but first and foremost. You have it in your mind that I'm a numbers robot. I'm not. I cite numbers in forum posts when they might help poolies pump the brakes or see things from another vantage point. I also do so in support of instinctive arguments.

Dobber Sports Pro

Sheary has been playing like absolute garbage. Starting to think he's more talented than he is and trying to make plays that he's not good enough to make. But this is more of sending a message than a permanent thing, unless this new line lights it up.
    I just wanted to add Sheary playing at "garbage" level is still probably better than Kunitz now haha

(Now watch Kunitz put up 6 goals in 4 games with Crosby and Guentzel making me look dumb)
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

So confused by this. Hornqvist is L1. Kunitz is L4. Kunitz isn't playing with Crosby and isn't going to play with Crosby.

Dobber Sports Stud

I never really saw Kunitz do this, so I can't agree with the comparison. Plus Sheary isn't really a grinder. He's a speedy puck retriever with generally good instincts. But yea, he's tried to turn into a fancy playmaker, and worse, a puck carrier who can stick handle through defencemen, and he is definitely neither of those things.
    Kunitz was also a puck retriever that knew how to get the puck to Sid and then go to the net. Grinder was the wrong word choice as it has more of a negative connotation than I think it should. Kunitz was not some talented playmaker that would carry the puck and distribute or score from distance. But then he thought he was more than that and started to believe he could do those things and got away from his bread and butter. If you know any Pens fans they'll tell you that's the case. And then his skating, which was never amazing but sufficient, just went to crap.

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
    Kunitz was also a puck retriever that knew how to get the puck to Sid and then go to the net. Grinder was the wrong word choice as it has more of a negative connotation than I think it should. Kunitz was not some talented playmaker that would carry the puck and distribute or score from distance. But then he thought he was more than that and started to believe he could do those things and got away from his bread and butter. If you know any Pens fans they'll tell you that's the case. And then his skating, which was never amazing but sufficient, just went to crap.
    I guess there's no point arguing, but it's Friday. This is so certifiably false. Kunitz went from an 80 point player to a 4th liner because his hands died. He simply stopped being able to make the plays he used to be able to. He's never changed or gotten away from what's always made him successful. He's stayed true to the player he's always been. His skills just dropped off a cliff very suddenly.

I know lots of Pens fans. None of them will tell you that Kunitz stopped being successful because he started being to fancy and changed his game. If there are people telling you that's what the downfall of Kunitz was, well, they clearly aren't Pens fans, and aren't watching much for games.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Who needs the Sheik.. we got our own Royal Rumble going on without him.... man. So much conflict.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Who needs the Sheik.. we got our own Royal Rumble going on without him.... man. So much conflict.
    It's the same person every time. What's new.

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    It's the same person every time. What's new.
    Debate without name calling. How terrible! We should all agree and then get together and have one big circle jerk!