Thread: NYI Goalie Situation

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default NYI Goalie Situation

Curious how people think the NYI goalie situation will play out going into next year.

Greiss resigned and was starter for a good portion of the year, but Halak played very well when he returned. Does it go back to 1A/1B?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: NYI Goalie Situation

Unless one of them gets claimed in the expansion draft or traded to a team like Carolina/Philly, then we will probably see them both back battling for the starter's gig into October.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

I think it's more Griess' crease to lose at this point. if Halak is still there next year (I doubt he is) I would suspect Griess to get 60-40 starts
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Magnificent One

Halak showed a lot by reporting to the AHL, shining, then looking good in his NHL return. Greiss is like a healthier Neuvirth, but I can't see him leading a supposedly playoff-caliber team. If the Isles are stuck with Halak going into next season, I'm guessing they give him every chance to run with the job, figuring he'll be incented to play well in hopes of trying to extend his career past next season (he's only signed through 2017-18).
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Pro

If there is one thing we know about Snow it is: "who knows"

I think they look to move Halak and find another 1B goalie to go with Griess, and ride that out for the season.
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Stud

I think they stick it out one more year with the greiss/halak tandem, or berube if they decide to demote halak to the minors again, with greiss getting most of the starts unless he falters, in which halak wil be given another shot. maybe even another prospect like stephon Williams from their current system. they're waiting for ilya Sorokin to come over after next season, and halak's contract will be up. then Sorokin and greiss will be in a battle for number 1 and within a season or two, Sorokin will take over the starter's job. I think greiss was signed to a 3 year deal to be there when Sorokin arrives so there isn't too much pressure on him from the start, and the deal is timed to end perfectly right when Sorokin should have definitely taken over the starter's job.

Dobber Sports Giant

I think they will do everything they can to move a goalie (Halak holds more value even if his contract is not ideal) and get some help on the blueline. Greiss showed that he could be counted on but he can't be facing 30+ shots on most nights. They had the 5th highest SOG against per game total in the league at 31.9/g. On the flip side, they had less goals against (2.90/g) than teams that fared better than them in the SOG against situation such as Colorado, Dallas, Winnipeg, Detroit, Vancouver and New Jersey.

In light of this, their goalie situation is not ideal on paper, but considering the low cap hit for Greiss, I think they can work something out to limit those scoring chances and give Greiss some breathing room.

I own both and I will most likely be forced to drop (or trade) one of them. As it stands, I will lean towards keeping Greiss but I'll see how everything plays out later in the off-season.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Genius

I think that there are going to be seismic shifts in the NHL goaltending landscape this summer. What is true in April will be much different come September.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

The Magnificent One

For all those who think Greiss can be the full-time starter, consider that Greiss signed his extension on January 30th, and here are his monthly splits before and after:

BEFORE
    October = 2.28 GAA, .925 SV% (4 total games)
    November = 2.63 GAA, .914 SV% (6 total games)
    December = 2.41 GAA, .930 SV% (5 total games)
    January = 1.99 GAA, .935 SV% (11 total games)

AFTER
    February = 3.16 GAA, .891 SV% (10 total games)
    March = 3.32 GAA, .895 SV% (14 total games)
    April = 2.00 GAA, .941 SV% (1 game)

Maybe someone took his foot off the gas a bit once he had the security of a new deal in his back pocket?
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    If there is one thing we know about Snow it is: "who knows"

I think they look to move Halak and find another 1B goalie to go with Griess, and ride that out for the season.
    pretty much agree with this POV

even though a greiss-halak tandem is pretty decent the isles and halak would probably love to end the relationship . maybe its easier to do with halak being on an expiring contract this time around .

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    For all those who think Greiss can be the full-time starter, consider that Greiss signed his extension on January 30th, and here are his monthly splits before and after:

BEFORE
    October = 2.28 GAA, .925 SV% (4 total games)
    November = 2.63 GAA, .914 SV% (6 total games)
    December = 2.41 GAA, .930 SV% (5 total games)
    January = 1.99 GAA, .935 SV% (11 total games)

AFTER
    February = 3.16 GAA, .891 SV% (10 total games)
    March = 3.32 GAA, .895 SV% (14 total games)

April = 2.00 GAA, .941 SV% (1 game)

Maybe someone took his foot off the gas a bit once he had the security of a new deal in his back pocket?
    I can see how it may look on paper (sign and dash ) but I have another perception on the matter:

February's numbers are influenced by 3 VERY bad games by Greiss and the Isles where he let 5 in twice in back-to-back games and 6 in another time. He's only let in 5 goals or more 2 other times this season (once in December and once in January) so clearly that was a bad stretch. Take away those 3 games and he let in only 13 goals over the other 7 games in the month (=about 1.86 gaa). That and Hamonic was out all of February.

As for March, the numbers coincide with Boychuk's injury (out all of March). I'm not saying that it's entirely Boychuk's absence that caused his numbers to fall, but it never helps to lose one of your top d-men.

Having seen what he did during last year and this year, I'm pretty confident that Greiss can lead this team. He has the individual tools to succeed; he just needs a tad better defensive core in front of him!
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I think it's more Griess' crease to lose at this point. if Halak is still there next year (I doubt he is) I would suspect Griess to get 60-40 starts
    It was Greiss' crease to lose this year after he signed his new deal and he lost it.

I expect both to be back next year and Weight will run the hot hand, no matter who it is.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I can see how it may look on paper (sign and dash ) but I have another perception on the matter:

February's numbers are influenced by 3 VERY bad games by Greiss and the Isles where he let 5 in twice in back-to-back games and 6 in another time. He's only let in 5 goals or more 2 other times this season (once in December and once in January) so clearly that was a bad stretch. Take away those 3 games and he let in only 13 goals over the other 7 games in the month (=about 1.86 gaa). That and Hamonic was out all of February.

As for March, the numbers coincide with Boychuk's injury (out all of March). I'm not saying that it's entirely Boychuk's absence that caused his numbers to fall, but it never helps to lose one of your top d-men.

Having seen what he did during last year and this year, I'm pretty confident that Greiss can lead this team. He has the individual tools to succeed; he just needs a tad better defensive core in front of him!
    All I can say is - those who justify don't convince.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It was Greiss' crease to lose this year after he signed his new deal and he lost it.

I expect both to be back next year and Weight will run the hot hand, no matter who it is.
    and I suspect Greiss will end up with a 60-40 split,
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    All I can say is - those who justify don't convince.
    Hehe, I'm not justifying, I'm explaining my perception. 2 months out of 6 were bad when you sum up the average outputs of each month. 26 games were played in the ''good'' months and 24 in the ''bad''. I'm just pointing out that on top of statistical numbers favoring my opinion, certain important facts needed to be outlined as well (3 very bad games in Feb, 2 top defenders out for all of Feb and all of March respectively). I get the sign and dash view though; I just think there is more to it than that.

Hopefully, one of us will remember this difference in views and bring it up next year after a month or 2 in the season (I will probably forget so I'm counting on you to PM-shame me if I'm wrong!)

Minors: