Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thornton torn ACL and MCL

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Thornton torn ACL and MCL

I think Jumbo Joe walks away from SJ. Curious to know what you guys think -- does he re-sign with SJ? How much could he possibly command on the market? Will he retire?

What do you think?
    11 team keeper league with salary cap (points only)

MY TEAM (start 13F, 6D, 1G):
    FWDS: N. Kucherov, S. Stamkos, R. O’Reilly, J. Hughes, W. Karlsson, P. Kessel, B. Point, F. Vatrano, E. Pettersen, R. Rakell, C. Keller, N. Niederreiter, K. Labanc

DEF: J. Trouba, J. Morrissey, T. Krug, F. Hronek, S. Jones, D. Nurse
    GOALIE: A. Vasilevskiy
    BENCH: V. Mete, S. Niku, R. Andersson, T. Hirose, C. Glass, T. Jurco, C. McElhinney
    NOTES: We can only send players down if they get injured, otherwise they pass through waivers and we lose them for nothing + we have to pay half their cap.

Dobber Sports Sage

I can't help but think of Derrick Rose. That f'n guy was cleared to play after a lengthy injury rehab and was told the next step was to play in actual NBA games. Rose was playing well in practice but still wouldn't play in games because he didn't "feel right." The Bulls were in the playoffs and the team was decimated by injuries but Rose sat on the bench.

Then we have Thornton with 2 torn knee ligaments gutting it out playing when he was probably told to sit out. Plus, he is a UFA. What a warrior!
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Master

what timeframe are we looking at for rehab ?

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Spinorama514 View Post
    I think Jumbo Joe walks away from SJ. Curious to know what you guys think -- does he re-sign with SJ? How much could he possibly command on the market? Will he retire?

What do you think?
    No way he retires. Probably he stays with SJ, but I could actually see him landing in a place like Dallas, which doesn't have a great second line center. Plus, he could be on the PP with Seguin, Benn, and Spezza, or give them the ability to have two solid PP units. The Ducks also are a possibility, for much the same reasons. Plus, on paper both teams could be cup contenders in 2017-18.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    No way he retires. Probably he stays with SJ, but I could actually see him landing in a place like Dallas, which doesn't have a great second line center. Plus, he could be on the PP with Seguin, Benn, and Spezza, or give them the ability to have two solid PP units. The Ducks also are a possibility, for much the same reasons. Plus, on paper both teams could be cup contenders in 2017-18.
    the Ducks have Getzlaf & Kesler down the middle. Not sure Joe would go there. I think he resigns in SJ, less money & begin reducing his role.

In all honesty, I think the Ducks and the Leafs are a trade waiting to happen. JVR for Vatanen/Lindholm. they need a winger more than a C.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    the Ducks have Getzlaf & Kesler down the middle. Not sure Joe would go there. I think he resigns in SJ, less money & begin reducing his role.

In all honesty, I think the Ducks and the Leafs are a trade waiting to happen. JVR for Vatanen/Lindholm. they need a winger more than a C.
    If Thornton came there, I figure Kesler would play wing but still take faceoffs.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Newbie

His dedication to the game was stronger that the pain. Still I don't get how he manged to move. Did he reach the 1000 assists milestone, thinking that this will be his last stand in the NHL?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think Thornton stays in SJ while Marleau is gone.

I think comparing the toughness of hockey players to the toughness of players in other sports is such a #PleaseLikeMySport inferiority complex in hockey fans, and honestly drives away new fans who couldn't care less.

Dobber Sports Ace

Athletes from other sports themselves often reference the toughness of hockey players. Sometimes tough is stolid though. Ask a guy like Primeau who still has some days where the headache is too strong to even get out of bed, last I read.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    Some say "tough" and "gutsy" I say stupid. But I understand haha.

Random aside: Edmonton has sure had a lucky season with barely any injuries, which has carried into the post season too.
    I think guys like that just love the game and the competition so much that they are willing to push through nearly anything. I bet many of us would do the same.

Edmonton sure has had healthy season this year. Given how disastrous their injuries have been in recent years though it's kind of nice to finally have a season where that doesn't happen - and hey playoffs too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
    Athletes from other sports themselves often reference the toughness of hockey players. Sometimes tough is stolid though. Ask a guy like Primeau who still has some days where the headache is too strong to even get out of bed, last I read.
    I'm not saying hockey players are or are not tougher than athletes in other sports. I'm saying hockey fans jumping to that avenue on twitter and other places immediately is a #PleaseLikeMySport inferiority complex.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Joe Thorton most likely received injections before games. I'm sure he didn't feel pain at all. He probably couldn't even feel his knee while playing.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I think comparing the toughness of hockey players to the toughness of players in other sports is such a #PleaseLikeMySport inferiority complex in hockey fans, and honestly drives away new fans who couldn't care less.
    Since your comment was due to my post, I will respond personally. I don't care what sports other people like and I sure don't try to get people to watch hockey. My favorite sports are all niche sports- hockey, auto racing, and cycling. So your projection on me based on my post is completely wrong.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The hashtag isn't about trying to get people to watch hockey. It's about trying to prove sport X is better than sport Y, and here's a reason. There's no reason to make comparisons between injuries different athletes in different sports play through unless you're trying to make a point, and you're generally not making that point to other hockey fans.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    If Thornton came there, I figure Kesler would play wing but still take faceoffs.
    Hmmm.. I don't see it. Kesler takes on the other teams top lines, Jumbo, at this stage of his career, they would want to shelter him from that level of competition. I can see a 3rd line C role and PP1 time for him if he moves on.

I expect him to re-sign in SJ personally.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4