Thread: Easy way to put emulators on an Android tablet

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Easy way to put emulators on an Android tablet

Hi all, I just got an Android tablet to watch movies and play games as my iPad is currently being used by my wife for her Pinterest pictures/posts and all that shenanigan. It's a 16gig and she has it filled up to max capacity with her pictures so needless to say, I needed a new tablet. In light of this, I got a cheapo-Amazon Fire 8 gig 7'' tablet (2015 EDITION). I had seen a few videos on how to add emulators and run games but I'm having trouble finding a good emulator and using the whole file manager app to get the emulator/roms and installing everything.

Do any of you know an easy walk-through (emphasis on the walk-through and easiness) with a reputable site and a good emulator (NES, SNES and/or Genesis)? I remember having an emulator on my old tablet but the controls were HORRIBLE and a buddy of mine had installed everything so I wasn't sure how to go about it now.

Anyways, thanks in advance to all you techies
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Easy way to put emulators on an Android tablet

I can't help you with your tablet issue, but I've recently been considering ways of playing old games, as well. The tablet option, while I'm sure is viable, doesn't seem like the best option, from what I've gathered. I'm leaning very heavily towards purchasing a Raspberry Pi 3 kit. It's $100, and you can plug and play just about any controller via USB (from PS4, to Xbox 360 PC controllers, to SNES remakes, etc.). It allows you to play piles of games off of one solid emulator. My friend's got one, and it works fantastically. From what I can tell and from what I've been told, it's extremely easy to set up, as well.

Here's a link, if you're interested (the only additional thing you'd need is a USB/bluetooth keyboard during setup):
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CCF6V3A/...I2YCF1PB2GAAA2

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    I can't help you with your tablet issue, but I've recently been considering ways of playing old games, as well. The tablet option, while I'm sure is viable, doesn't seem like the best option, from what I've gathered. I'm leaning very heavily towards purchasing a Raspberry Pi 3 kit. It's $100, and you can plug and play just about any controller via USB (from PS4, to Xbox 360 PC controllers, to SNES remakes, etc.). It allows you to play piles of games off of one solid emulator. My friend's got one, and it works fantastically. From what I can tell and from what I've been told, it's extremely easy to set up, as well.

Here's a link, if you're interested (the only additional thing you'd need is a USB/bluetooth keyboard during setup):
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CCF6V3A/...I2YCF1PB2GAAA2
    Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I just spent $100!!!

Dude, that's awesome; thank you so much for sharing this with me Cascade! I should have PM'ed you directly a few weeks ago before getting my tablet; I knew you were a gamer as well

Thanks again for the info on this device. I haven't actually purchased it yet, but it's in my cart! I will read up on it a tad bit tonight and most likely purchase it as it seems to be what I've been looking for!!

I would still love to hear if anyone else has had any success in getting an emulator to work on an Android tablet.
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I just spent $100!!!

Dude, that's awesome; thank you so much for sharing this with me Cascade! I should have PM'ed you directly a few weeks ago before getting my tablet; I knew you were a gamer as well

Thanks again for the info on this device. I haven't actually purchased it yet, but it's in my cart! I will read up on it a tad bit tonight and most likely purchase it as it seems to be what I've been looking for!!

I would still love to hear if anyone else has had any success in getting an emulator to work on an Android tablet.
    Yeah, no problem, man. It really is an awesome little device. N64 era games and beyond will run a bit choppy (although sprite-based PS games might run okay), but if you're mostly looking at 8 and 16bit games, I don't think you can go wrong with one of these. I'd have bought one by now, but literally the day I was going to buy it I wound up with a few hefty expenses I wasn't expecting, so I held off. I'll get one fairly soon, though, I think. Let me know if you take the plunge, and what you think once you get going on it!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Found this link at a gaming site I'm a member of.
    https://retropie.org.uk/

You folks got me interested now. I have zero clue on this new ras-pie thingy even though I am (perhaps was) a techie, might be time to figure it out.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Found this link at a gaming site I'm a member of.
    https://retropie.org.uk/

You folks got me interested now. I have zero clue on this new ras-pie thingy even though I am (perhaps was) a techie, might be time to figure it out.
    Yep, you run RetroPi the Raspberry Pi, and it runs great.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Bass. Sent you a pm.
    Edit: nevermind. your box if full.
    DYNASTY Cap(127M) 12 Team
    G, A, PIM(.1), positive +/- D only, W(2), SO(2), OTL(1)
    23 + 4 IR + 7 prospects (locked in for season if under 200 GP)
    Start: 11F, 5D, 2G - 82 games each slot

F: Crosby, Malkin, Aho, Rantanen, Batherson, Boldy, Kempe, Pavelski, Duchene, Hagel, Frost [Duclair, Farabee, Jenner]
    D: Fox, Karlsson, Hamilton, Letang, Montour
    IR:
    G: Sorokin, Kuemper[Husso, Kochetkov]

P: Stankoven, Tomasino, Vilardi, Sanderson, York, Zellweger, Wahlstrom
    Roster Cap Breakdown

DYNASTY Cap (110M) 12 Team 2
    G, A, PIM(.1), Positive +/- D only(0.5), Hattie(3), W(2), SO(3), OTL(1)
    League & Roster Info

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by valec View Post
    Bass. Sent you a pm.
    Edit: nevermind. your box if full.
    Sorry about that, just made some room!

Minors:

Dobber Sports Giant

BTW, I didn't get the Raspberry Pi yet but I bought an OUYA off my buddy. I was talking to him about the Raspberry yesterday and he showed me his OUYA pre-loaded with hundreds of Roms... I said ''SOLD''!

Ended up getting it for free since we deducted it from an outstanding amount he owed me for some hockey tickets we got last year.

I didn't hook it up at home yet but I saw how it worked and all.... I'm very happy as I can use my Xbox controllers on it as well! Ironically, I had an OUYA when it first came out but I had to ship it back to Amazon since it kept stalling on me. Never really had a chance to install emulators and roms on it.

Here's a video that shows you how it works:

Minors:

Dobber Sports Genius

Very cool. I've heard that the Ouya is a great emulation machine. I wonder if that's a better option. I think you can still get them for not very much. Wonder how difficult it is to set up emulators on it.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Very cool. I've heard that the Ouya is a great emulation machine. I wonder if that's a better option. I think you can still get them for not very much. Wonder how difficult it is to set up emulators on it.
    It's fairly simple! You go on the web browser and go to a site like Coolroms. Download the emulator(s) of your choice and they get installed on your "desktop". Then you download your chosen Roms and simply open them in the correct emulator.

Nes, Snes, Genesis and PSP work great. I'll see if I can get some on N64, GameCube and PS1-2 shortly.

Minors: