Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Protein powder

Administrator

Default Re: Protein powder

Some broader scope questions (if you don't mind answering)

1) I know from past threads you've made some pretty big changes including calorie intake, treadmill and now protein powder. Have you been able to apply these new things consistently?
    2) What are your results so far? (this is what it's all about in the end)

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

A protein powder, specifically a whey isolate, is beneficial post workout because of its quick absorbing properties. After a workout, your muscles have been broken down and the quickest way to get fuel back into them is great for recovery. Aside from that, solid real protein will always trump a powder. I went through (and I think everyone who starts training does) drinking 3-4+ shakes a day too. It'll never replace solid food. Only after workout for quick absorption.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Some broader scope questions (if you don't mind answering)

1) I know from past threads you've made some pretty big changes including calorie intake, treadmill and now protein powder. Have you been able to apply these new things consistently?
    2) What are your results so far? (this is what it's all about in the end)
    i've been using the treadmill 4-5 days a week but i been averaging between 2500-3000 calories so my weight has been just maintaining at 293-296. Sticking to a diet and not snacking has been my biggest challenge so far. I did good today and had 1700 calories.

have to do something about it because i've had problems with blood pressure in the past and i don't even play baseball games anymore since im so overweight. when i first gained weight i was nervous to go downtown or see people i know because i didnt want people to see me at this weight and make comments

Dobber Sports Genius

Everyone has given you good advice.

One last thing that I will say is if you want to lose weight, you need to burn more than you eat. Count your macros like you seem to be doing and stay with it.

I'd love to help more, so reach out anytime. You could read two different articles that say two completely different things. Make this lifestyle change enjoyable for you or you will never stick with it. There are so many different philosophies out there. Eventually, you will find one that works for your mind and body.

Good luck. A healthy life awaits you. It is one of the most rewarding accomplishments once you meet your goal because it was all you.

- - - Updated - - -

Where are you? I would gladly sit down with you and make you a meal plan.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    i've been using the treadmill 4-5 days a week but i been averaging between 2500-3000 calories so my weight has been just maintaining at 293-296. Sticking to a diet and not snacking has been my biggest challenge so far. I did good today and had 1700 calories.

have to do something about it because i've had problems with blood pressure in the past and i don't even play baseball games anymore since im so overweight. when i first gained weight i was nervous to go downtown or see people i know because i didnt want people to see me at this weight and make comments
    The 2nd paragraph really hits home. I've been there and it sucks. You need to use that pain you feel as motivation to make better choices. You have an opportunity to shock the world. It can be done. I did it just over a year ago. It took me 11 months to drop 75 pounds. That's how fast it can happen. Just focus more on your health both today and in 20 years from now. You need consistency.

I have way too many good stories from the past year for this thread but if you want to talk more shoot me a message. I'm not an expert on food/dieting/exercise but I know a lot about being 100% committed and having your mind in the right place.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    \I'm not an expert on food/dieting/exercise but I know a lot about being 100% committed and having your mind in the right place.
    I think this is probably the most important thing - much more useful than a bunch of conflicting information about macros and diets and regimens. I wouldn't mind hearing more about that if you felt like writing us a little novella

Dobber Sports Monster

thanks everyone. i've very recently lost 2 relatives to heart attacks so it has woken me up a bit and i have to realize if i stay at this weight for awhile it will make my health deteriorate even more.

for some reason anytime i drink too much coffee (6 cups) or alcohol) anything over 3 drinks i get shaky, like to the point there i need help to walk (once after i had to leave work because of this, i was walking to my car and almost fell over, but when i got into my car i felt fine and it was like a relief......i donno it has to be linked to stress and all that but its something i been battling for the past 4 years). my doctor said it's nothing physically wrong and that it's due to anxiety and stress. i love to drink alcohol but last time i drank back in december i felt horrible, like i couldnt go to sleep because every position i would try and sleep my body would be shaking. i can tell it really shoots my blood pressure up. lately i feel good but the other day i had 6 cups of coffee and felt horrible. so no more of that.

just want to know that feeling of being under 200 lbs. back a year and a half ago i was 250.1 and was ecstatic that i was going to be under 250 lbs for the first time in 7 years then after that i shot up in weight dam

Dobber Sports Stud

Someone who doesn't exercise needs 0.4 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day (so if you weigh 200lbs, you'd need 80g of protein a day). People who exercise moderately (cardio, aerobics, light weights, yoga, etc.) need about 0.6g of protein per pound of body weight per day - this sounds like you. For those who lift weights and train more intensely, 0.8g of protein per lb of body weight is needed.

So just figure out how much protein you're consuming through food on a daily basis and that will be a good indicator of whether or not the supplementing is needed. Note that this should be based on your "healthy weight", more or less. So someone who weighs 600lbs wouldn't be consuming 360g of protein a day, for example.

Finally if you are going to take protein, take it after working out and do some research or go to a supplement store and speak to knowledgeable staff to pick the right product. A lot of protein powders are loaded with junk ingredients.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Padawan

It's great that you're putting the effort into your exercise and diet. But try not to major in minors. It doesn't really matter when you take your protein in. If your goal is to lose fat, distributing your protein consumption throughout the day is far more beneficial.Eg If you want to eat 160 grams of protein a day and would like to have three whole meals+ a snack, take in 40 grams of protein every meal. Make the protein shake your snack with a piece of fruit. Know your daily protein goal and make sure you hit it everyday. Really that applies to fat and carb intake as well.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    thanks everyone. i've very recently lost 2 relatives to heart attacks so it has woken me up a bit and i have to realize if i stay at this weight for awhile it will make my health deteriorate even more.

for some reason anytime i drink too much coffee (6 cups) or alcohol) anything over 3 drinks i get shaky, like to the point there i need help to walk (once after i had to leave work because of this, i was walking to my car and almost fell over, but when i got into my car i felt fine and it was like a relief......i donno it has to be linked to stress and all that but its something i been battling for the past 4 years). my doctor said it's nothing physically wrong and that it's due to anxiety and stress. i love to drink alcohol but last time i drank back in december i felt horrible, like i couldnt go to sleep because every position i would try and sleep my body would be shaking. i can tell it really shoots my blood pressure up. lately i feel good but the other day i had 6 cups of coffee and felt horrible. so no more of that.

just want to know that feeling of being under 200 lbs. back a year and a half ago i was 250.1 and was ecstatic that i was going to be under 250 lbs for the first time in 7 years then after that i shot up in weight dam
    I recommend cutting out coffee and alcohol entirely if it's giving you this level of problem. At the very least cut it to a minimum. You don't need either of them to survive. Use this as a foundation to build on.

TBH I feel like the powder is a fad that you're reaching for hoping it's a magic pill that solves all problems. It's not. In the end we are all our own magic pill. It's all about the decisions we make every day.

Dobber Sports Monster

thanks again for the support fellas.