Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Protein powder

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Protein powder

i bought a Whey Protein Elite Series by Muscle Tech at walmart. says there is 30 grams of protein in one scoop. i walk on the treadmill (incline of course) for 30-45 minutes a day (burns roughy 300-500 calories depending how long i stay on there for). should i drink one before i walk on there AND after? when is the best times to drink this stuff. i see each scoop has 190 calories which i have to be mindful of

am also taking "one a day gummie vitamins"

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Protein powder

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    i bought a Whey Protein Elite Series by Muscle Tech at walmart. says there is 30 grams of protein in one scoop. i walk on the treadmill (incline of course) for 30-45 minutes a day (burns roughy 300-500 calories depending how long i stay on there for). should i drink one before i walk on there AND after? when is the best times to drink this stuff. i see each scoop has 190 calories which i have to be mindful of

am also taking "one a day gummie vitamins"
    I use it after the gym. I mostly use it so my muscles don't get sore after. Ppl have had it before but i think that's overkill and too much protein in your diet.

I'm at the gym for 1-2hrs too, so 30-45 minutes you likely should be doing just 1, but I'm no expert
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I use it after the gym. I mostly use it so my muscles don't get sore after. Ppl have had it before but i think that's overkill and too much protein in your diet.
    for a guy my weight age and height i am recommended to have 200 grams of protein a day to aid in weight loss according to one site. is there any health problems that could come with consuming too much protein?

Dobber Sports Wizard

I use unsweetened whey isolate. I use it before and after my weight-training exercise. 40 grams in total, half before and half after. I don't use it when I do cardio only. Sometimes I would use it in the morning too if I don't have enough protein in my breakfast. Before going to bed, I eat fat-free, no-sugar added Greek yogurt for casein protein that takes longer to digest, to ensure there is enough in the body overnight, which is especially important on days you do weights.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Genius

Depends what your goals are. I want to shed/lose weight while building moderate muscle but I lift weights as well as do cardio. If I am looking to shed weight solely then I am probably doing one of two things when it comes to protein powder/shakes. Either using them as a meal replacement or not taking any at all. At the end of the day in order to lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit. Why then add more calories? Even if it's with a relatively low calorie intake shake? I would just clean up your diet, try and cut as many carbs/sugar as possible. I keep a mindset of health first then appearance improvement second.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Deity

I think google is your friend here as much as anyone here.

To the best of my knowledge, you would use whey based protein powder in some sort of fashion after you worked out to help your muscles recover but I am not 100% sure on that. As I say, google.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

From previous threads I believe your goal is/was weight loss. If this is true protein powder is not the best item to use for nutrition.

With weight loss the main goal is to have calories in < calories burned (including exercise). Protein supports muscle repair and development, all healthy people need some amount of protein. That being said protein powder is generally used by people looking to build a large amount of muscle as it allows the user to consume a high amount of protein in a relatively small amount of calories.

So, if you're looking to lose weight you should be focusing on a diet that allows you to remain full, and get the essential nutrition and vitamins with a relatively lower number of calories. Protein powder could be used as a meal replacement/snack if you find it works but you're probably better of using something more balanced between carbs/fat/protein. As for when to take it, those doing heavy lifting focus on getting a large amount of protein within 1-2 hours after a workout. Given that you're doing mainly cardio workouts the timing of your protein is less important. If you're using protein powder as a meal/snack replacement trying to work it into your diet when you're hungriest during the day, also consider your stomach and how long you need to eat before workouts so you don't get an upset stomach. Everyone is different in this regard, I usually need at least 2 hours of no eating to workout, however I have buddies who workout on a full stomach constantly.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Depends what your goals are. I want to shed/lose weight while building moderate muscle but I lift weights as well as do cardio. If I am looking to shed weight solely then I am probably doing one of two things when it comes to protein powder/shakes. Either using them as a meal replacement or not taking any at all. At the end of the day in order to lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit. Why then add more calories? Even if it's with a relatively low calorie intake shake? I would just clean up your diet, try and cut as many carbs/sugar as possible. I keep a mindset of health first then appearance improvement second.
    cleaning up my diet has always been my problem and since quitting my job at walmart a year ago i been less active overall which didn't help my weight gain. i want to lose weight and build muscle. am going to start lifting my weights again and i always walk on a 10% incline. i hope to build muscle in my legs (not sure if walking on 10% does much of that) but i want to be able to hit homeruns in soft ball (and get faster too lol)

Dobber Sports Ninja

The only time I take protein powder is during intense weeks of training. Even then, it's only because I am lazy and can't be bothered to make much healthier food that contains the same protein. If I wasn't such a baby with cooking food I would just get that protein in regular food. Cranking up a protein shake just is super easy and can get me 750-1000 calories in a few minutes, which I need.

I don't see any reason to take extra protein after a moderate walk on a treadmill. I wouldn't be surprised if you're harming your goals more than helping.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    The only time I take protein powder is during intense weeks of training. Even then, it's only because I am lazy and can't be bothered to make much healthier food that contains the same protein. If I wasn't such a baby with cooking food I would just get that protein in regular food. Cranking up a protein shake just is super easy and can get me 750-1000 calories in a few minutes, which I need.

I don't see any reason to take extra protein after a moderate walk on a treadmill. I wouldn't be surprised if you're harming your goals more than helping.
    if i keep my calorie count to 1700 (including the protein powder) would that still be good? i notice as of right now it makes me feel full as heck compared to before but maybe i just wasn't getting enough protein

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    if i keep my calorie count to 1700 (including the protein powder) would that still be good? i notice as of right now it makes me feel full as heck compared to before but maybe i just wasn't getting enough protein
    Like Lawman said, you could just swap out a regular meal for a protein shake or whatever if you'd like. That would work as long as you stick to it, but if it becomes an additional thing in your day, rather than a substitute, then it's probably counterproductive.

If you're sticking to 1700 calories every day and even getting moderate movement in your day, you should be losing weight (up to a certain point). If not, then you're likely not calculating your calories faithfully.

I just don't honestly think recovery drinks are needed for anyone not doing pretty intense exercise, and even then it's a convenience thing, and not a 'have to' thing. Regular, healthy meals are always the best choice in my opinion.

Dobber Sports Monster

Like Lawman said, you could just swap out a regular meal for a protein shake or whatever if you'd like. That would work as long as you stick to it, but if it becomes an additional thing in your day, rather than a substitute, then it's probably counterproductive.

If you're sticking to 1700 calories every day and even getting moderate movement in your day, you should be losing weight (up to a certain point). If not, then you're likely not calculating your calories faithfully.

I just don't honestly think recovery drinks are needed for anyone not doing pretty intense exercise, and even then it's a convenience thing, and not a 'have to' thing. Regular, healthy meals are always the best choice in my opinion.
    ok thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks everyone for your advice

Dobber Sports Titan

I have noticed a difference with Whey shakes after a workout in my legs not hurting so badly. But could all be mental.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I have noticed a difference with Whey shakes after a workout in my legs not hurting so badly. But could all be mental.
    I'm not sure about that. Never taken a look at the research on it. I probably should take a harder look at this topic.

Dobber Sports Genius

I have a very good knowledge on the subject from 22 years of bodybuilding/working out. I am not the hugest fan of Six Star and that is the company that has formed your protein. With the particular brand you bought though, it is definitely an after workout product.

I need to know your fitness goal to assist you more and properly.

And toss those gummy vitamins in the garbage.

Hit me up with more and I will be glad to help. I am off to the gym now...
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala