Thread: Pontus Aberg

The Magnificent One

Default Pontus Aberg

What's the thought on him? What's his expected timeline to NHL/fantasy?

Who do we see him turning into

Thank you
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Pontus Aberg

Too little too late is my overall opinion of Aberg. Had a great year in the AHL (good goals, pts, shots and PIMs) and has torn up leagues in Europe in the past. But... he's 23 going on 24 in Sept, he hasn't had a significant impact in the NHL and I don't think he will get much of one with Nashville going forward. From the limited amount that I have read on him, Aberg is more of an offensively minded forward so he will need a top-6 spot to be effective and barring injuries (which do happen), the top-6 wing spots in Nashville are currently taken (I'm penciling in Fiala and assuming Neal won't play down the lineup both of which are debatable). His contract is up at the end of the year so maybe he moves elsewhere and gets an opportunity. Ceiling imo Drew Stafford but very likely a bust.

That all being said, I did actually just snag him in a league with 16-team 50-prospect bench slots based on this post. So he has value if your league is deep enough...
    Last edited by russtyj; April 24, 2017 at 9:40 AM. Reason: Typos
    16 Team Dynasty
    25 Man Roster
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 2 SKT, 2 G
    CATS: G, A, SOG, STP, HITS, BLK, GPT3, GAA, SV, SV%

Rebuilding... Roster is too embarrassing to show QQ

Dobber Sports Titan

I agree with the general sentiment of Russ above. That being said, I'm not so down on him just because of his age. I think generally he's just not going to turn into a top scorer. Maybe a second line support kind of guy similar to C. Smith or C. Wilson from previous years to give you a comparable with the same team.
    He's a good player, and a bundle of energy like Arvidsson and Salomaki, but he likely won't be producing enough to have relevance in most fantasy leagues. Of course it is always relative to what else is available. For Nashville depth depending on the categories I would be looking at Jarnkrok, Scissons, Salomaki and Watson all before Aberg.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

I also don't see his age as an issue. Most of the college kids getting signed are 23-24 years of age as well and just finding their way into pro hockey.

I see him as a decent 3rd line, energy guy with some offensive upside who can fill in on the 2nd line if injuries require. I don't think he's near done yet.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

I see him as a Fiala type in getting to the NHL on Nashville (lots of cups of coffee but no time with better scorers until they need him), and then I think he can max out as a L2 guy, but if the Preds can get a decent 3rd line skilled centre (putting Fisher on the 4th line), like trusting Kamenev (? may have that spelt wrong) then I think he can produce. So all in all he needs skill guys to produce but can put up a decent number of points on his own
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Master

Useful player but not an impact guy. Skill, but don't count on any big numbers. I think he will settle into a supporting role and get supporting role ice time and corresponding numbers. If he hits 45 pts that would have to be considered a successful season. Doesn't mean he can't be useful in fantasy, but depends on your league setup and if it allows for picking up guys in hot streaks and dropping them (i.e. if you have a waiver wire).
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Master

Role player now who will have some offensive punch from the third line. Think Nick Bonino (Penguins) or Michael Backlund (Calgary) as far as potential offense numbers.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Master

For some reason he screams Jan Bulis to me haha Except he's a winger.. A poor man's Sami Kapanen.. Bates Battaglia?......
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Administrator

I just can't see him being given a great opportunity to shine but I think he'll be in Nashville a lot next year.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust