Poll: Capitals or Penguins

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Metropolitan Division Final: (1) Washington Capitals vs (2) Pittsburgh Penguins

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Metropolitan Division Final: (1) Washington Capitals vs (2) Pittsburgh Penguins

Rematch of last year. Can the Caps finally get over the hump??

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Metropolitan Division Final: (1) Washington Capitals vs (2) Pittsburgh Penguins

Flightless birds in 7

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Metropolitan Division Final: (1) Washington Capitals vs (2) Pittsburgh Penguins

Even though I said Caps in 6 vs the Leafs, coming into the playoffs I didn't think Pitt would stand a chance against them with Letang out. After watching both of their first round matchups, it looks like this is going to go the same as their other two meetings. Caps are good, but Penguins are better and always find a way to win.

I have Penguins in 6....even though my box pool choice of Preds vs Caps is on the line.

Ovie needs to step up for the Caps to win. Does he event skate with the puck anymore? Kuznetsov also has to be a major factor on the scoresheet! If you just looked at the box scores you would think it was another disappearing act vs the Leafs; but he was arguably their most dangerous forward. He had so many great chances.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Staying true to my name.... I am gonna say that the Caps finally have a successful hunting season and 'bag out' in 7 games.

Dobber Sports Titan

I bet on Penguins in 6, but this is a series where Holtby can steal it. He looked shakey though vs the Leafs.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Caps in 6 for me. I love Pittsburgh and think they are great, but the Caps showed in the first series that they can play a close game almost to a tee, and that's what they are going to need to beat the Pens.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports All-Star

I don't understand why the 2 teams with the most points over all are facing each other in the 2nd round. Ridiculous that the Washington (118 pts) isn't playing Ottawa (98) and Pittsburgh (111 pts) isn't playing New York (102 Pts). Neither Ottawa or New York won their division.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I don't understand why the 2 teams with the most points over all are facing each other in the 2nd round. Ridiculous that the Washington (118 pts) isn't playing Ottawa (98) and Pittsburgh (111 pts) isn't playing New York (102 Pts). Neither Ottawa or New York won their division.
    Well it's the same in the West. I'm sure the format will be looked into.

The divisional format might be done with after what....4 years?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Penguins dominated a strong Columbus team, Capitals struggled against a plucky Leafs team. Washington is over matched here.

Penguins in 5, if it even gets that far.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Even though I said Caps in 6 vs the Leafs, coming into the playoffs I didn't think Pitt would stand a chance against them with Letang out. After watching both of their first round matchups, it looks like this is going to go the same as their other two meetings. Caps are good, but Penguins are better and always find a way to win.

I have Penguins in 6....even though my box pool choice of Preds vs Caps is on the line.

Ovie needs to step up for the Caps to win. Does he event skate with the puck anymore? Kuznetsov also has to be a major factor on the scoresheet! If you just looked at the box scores you would think it was another disappearing act vs the Leafs; but he was arguably their most dangerous forward. He had so many great chances.
    Wow this is on point on so many levels besides I think Caps in 6 though. Ovi looks more and more one dimensional. He's my favourite player but man he doesn't even skate with the puck. Just gets it and moves it, kind of not capable of carrying the play anymore. Still a great weapon for goal scoring and certainly on the PP. Also had one of his better play making efforts to Oshie in yesterday's game which Andersen robbed. Your second point about Kuzy was dead on as well. He won some important draws, looked like he carried the play and had great opportunities. I think he has been one of the top 3 players for the Caps in the first round even with the lack of points.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Penguins dominated a strong Columbus team, Capitals struggled against a plucky Leafs team. Washington is over matched here.

Penguins in 5, if it even gets that far.
    Your right logic would dictate that but the playoffs are a funny animal. I like how the Caps played so many meaningful games in round 1 and are now looking like the underdog against the Stanley Cup Champs. I feel this work's in their favour and they catch Pittsburgh sleeping early on in the series.

Caps in 6.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Pro

With your first statement I think Washington had the tougher match-up, as CBJ wasn't that great of a team. Sure they finished 4th but if you take out that 16 game winning streak they were always a middle-of-the-pack team with great goaltending. Then when the playoffs were coming up CBJ's PP stopped doing anything and seemed like it was never adjusted (#Torts), take that with Bob not being a 930 goalie and they were much easier for Pitt to stop. I could've seen TO giving Pitt a ton of fits while WSH cruised by CBJ as well.

Anyway I'll take Wsh in 6 or 7. I'll flip a coin on which to pick
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Your right logic would dictate that but the playoffs are a funny animal. I like how the Caps played so many meaningful games in round 1 and are now looking like the underdog against the Stanley Cup Champs. I feel this work's in their favour and they catch Pittsburgh sleeping early on in the series.

Caps in 6.
    I get your thinking, but I don't think being the underdog does Washington any favours here. Their season is cup or bust. All the Toronto series did was reinforce the feeling and perception of doubt surrounding that team and it is only going to grow with more and more questions from the media heading into this series. If they don't come out of the gate with a dominating performance, they are in trouble.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Penguins in 7.

I think you'd be trying to create a narrative selling the Caps as underdogs.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Well it's the same in the West. I'm sure the format will be looked into.

The divisional format might be done with after what....4 years?
    Yes it is the same in the west, however in the east, although Washington, Pittsburgh and New York are in the same division, the worst of the 3 gets Ottawa. Even in the old days it used to be 1 vs 3 and 2 vs 4. This is 1 vs 2 and 3 vs 4. What a total screw up.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Yes it is the same in the west, however in the east, although Washington, Pittsburgh and New York are in the same division, the worst of the 3 gets Ottawa. Even in the old days it used to be 1 vs 3 and 2 vs 4. This is 1 vs 2 and 3 vs 4. What a total screw up.
    Well that's when there didn't use to be a crossover of teams (ie. 7 plays 2, 8 plays 1).....which i understand why they do.