Thread: Salary Cap League Help...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Salary Cap League Help...

so I'm in the process of starting a 10 or 12 team salary cap dynasty league w/ aiming for the roster sizes to be 21 on the active roster w/ 10 prospects, the thing I'm stumped on most is what to make the cap don't want it too high where it's pointless but not too low where players with expensive contracts lose value

my initial thoughts was to go with whatever that years NHL salary was + 15 or 20 mil, thoughts? (prospects obviously won't go against Cap unless on active roster)

also was thinking on switching from ESPN to a site more suitable for this type of league, I know FanTrax is good for dynasty leagues but does Yahoo have salary cap options cause I'm pretty sure ESPN doesn't.

any other tips for a newbie salary cap commish you wanna throw my way is always welcome as well
    14 Team (H2H Points) Dynasty League

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, Zibanejad
    LW: E.Kane, Panarin, Huberdeau, Marchand, Landeskog
    RW: Rantanen, Zuccarello
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Chychrun, Drysdale
    G: Shesterkin, Saros, Markstrom
    Prospects: Carlsson, Raty, Berggren, Miroshnichenko, Othmann, Clarke, Gulyayev, Nikishin, Wallstadt, Wolf

16 Team (H2H Points) Dynasty League

C: MacKinnon, Zibanejad, Duchene, Schenn, Johansen, Monahan, Krebs, Pageau
    LW: E.Kane, Pacioretty, Vrana, Hoffman
    RW: Tuch, Stone, Wilson, Batherson, Sprong, Gallagher, Wahlstrom
    D: Dahlin, Hamilton, Letang, Dumba, Kylington, Liljegren
    G: Allen
    Prospects: Byfield, Guenther, Rossi, Perreault, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Salary Cap League Help...

http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...hockey-league/

^Simple overview article that I put out a week and a half ago on this exact topic if you're interested. The best-run salary cap league I am in right now has a 25 man active roster, with 12 teams, and it has a cap $25 Million about the NHL cap for the season. So 15-20 for you doesn't seem too far off. As long as you can agree league wide that if it seems to need changing then you can make the change in future seasons, I think you should be just fine with that as a starting point.

I can't comment on ESPN, as I only use Yahoo, but most of my other keeper league sites have an outside forum site to keep track of most other aspects of the league. If run correctly, this really brings up the quality of the league.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

beautiful thanks alot, would give you a rep boast but apparently I do that too much as is lol, keep up the good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...hockey-league/

^Simple overview article that I put out a week and a half ago on this exact topic if you're interested. The best-run salary cap league I am in right now has a 25 man active roster, with 12 teams, and it has a cap $25 Million about the NHL cap for the season. So 15-20 for you doesn't seem too far off. As long as you can agree league wide that if it seems to need changing then you can make the change in future seasons, I think you should be just fine with that as a starting point.

I can't comment on ESPN, as I only use Yahoo, but most of my other keeper league sites have an outside forum site to keep track of most other aspects of the league. If run correctly, this really brings up the quality of the league.
    14 Team (H2H Points) Dynasty League

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, Zibanejad
    LW: E.Kane, Panarin, Huberdeau, Marchand, Landeskog
    RW: Rantanen, Zuccarello
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Chychrun, Drysdale
    G: Shesterkin, Saros, Markstrom
    Prospects: Carlsson, Raty, Berggren, Miroshnichenko, Othmann, Clarke, Gulyayev, Nikishin, Wallstadt, Wolf

16 Team (H2H Points) Dynasty League

C: MacKinnon, Zibanejad, Duchene, Schenn, Johansen, Monahan, Krebs, Pageau
    LW: E.Kane, Pacioretty, Vrana, Hoffman
    RW: Tuch, Stone, Wilson, Batherson, Sprong, Gallagher, Wahlstrom
    D: Dahlin, Hamilton, Letang, Dumba, Kylington, Liljegren
    G: Allen
    Prospects: Byfield, Guenther, Rossi, Perreault, Nikishin

The Great One

Penguin is also a good one to reach out to on things like this (not taking away from EB's article)
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Ace

Eskimos article was pretty bang on. I always was in a yahoo league (with an outside forum) but things got crazy. You need to remember that in that setup, there's really no way (outside of tedious manually checking) to make sure cap is not being cheated, roster sizes/moves are legal etc. I preferred yahoo over fantrax by a country mile, but the deceit is too much. In a way that's more of a reflection on the commish/gms, but a lot of mistakes will happen as well