Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NFL Draft Chatter

Default 2017 NFL Draft Chatter

C'mon gents/ladies, I know it's NHL playoff time, but we need to up the chatter on the NFL draft that is less than a week away, So whatcha got??? Here are my initial takes...

• The depth and breadth of talent at the RB and TE positions make up for the QB class
    • That said, this is not a terrible QB class. The problem is there are no plug-and-play types. If the NFL and fans alike would get off their "Next Dak Prescott" obsession that does nothing but artificially drive up their value the closer and closer the draft becomes. There is QB talent in this draft class, but they should be allowed to simmer on the back burner for two years.
    • Mahomes is the biggest risk at the QB position for fantasy purposes. His play is too eradic. Put another way, he's a bigger version of Manziel. Ad libs too much.
    • I will not surprised at all when RB Dalvin Cook is not selected in the first round of the NFL draft. From multiple knee injuries, numerous off-field character issues, poor blocking, lack of power, and middling combine metrics will cause his draft stock to drop.
    • My top pre-draft RBs for fantasy are 1. Mixon, 2. Fournette, 3. McCaffrey (jumps to 2 if ppr format), 4. Cook (landing spot will be huge in terms of his fantasy value)
    • Mixon obviously you worry about his off-field character red flags. But skill set-wise he's arguably the best of the crop. I do love Samaje Perine as a top of the second grab for fantasy grabs. Worst case scenario, Perine becomes a red zone/TD vulture type. But I thinks his upside is better than that. Good value, and your fantasy draft should always be value based. Well...we all reach from time to time. Right? lol
    • I think Cook is a fantasy bust in terms of where he'll go off the board in dynasty rookie drafts. Lol...obviously not high on him
    • I'm not saying that Mike Williams is a better WR prospect than Corey Davis, but Williams is being undervalued and painted as a not very athletic WR. Perhaps. But just remember that at this same time last they were saying the same thing about Saints WR Michael Thomas who at the time was being referred to as "Bad Michael Thomas" when compared to now Rams rookie Mike Thomas (a/k/a Good Michael Thomas). Fast forward to this year and Saints M. Thomas is being drafted at the bottom of first rounds in dynasty start-ups.
    • The combine and various pro days can't test for work ethic, determination, and effort. Remember that. A true foundation back will run with the same determination on his 20th carry as he did on his 1st carry. They are a special breed of cat. Frank Gore was drafted in third round of the '05 draft that saw 3 RBs go off the board in the first 5 picks. He outlasted them all.
    • Obviously the TE class is stocked and you should be drafting at least one in your dynasty rookie start-ups. OJ Howard is th most complete and probable "safest" grab. Njoku has the highest upside of them all but he's raw and will need two years to ripen on the vine for fantasy owners. Engram is a MUST own for PPR or TE-premium leagues and should be drafted mid-first round in 12-14 team leagues. Bucky Hodges will be a beast too imo. Probably top of the second round for Hodges.

Again, this is all a bit premature without knowing landing spots. Just getting the ball rolling. Interested in your thoughts. Any questions? Lay them on me...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: 2017 NFL Draft Chatter

Interesting thoughts. I am surprised you have Mixon ahead of guys like Fournette and McCaffrey. If you look at most mock drafts out there, you dont even see him in the 1st round and a lot of teams probably aren't even looking at him at all due to his own off-field issues.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Interesting thoughts. I am surprised you have Mixon ahead of guys like Fournette and McCaffrey. If you look at most mock drafts out there, you dont even see him in the 1st round and a lot of teams probably aren't even looking at him at all due to his own off-field issues.
    Well yes. I agree in terms of NFL stock. But for fantasy drafts...and again depending on landing spot...I will take Mixon as the first RB off the board IF and only IF he is drafted in the first two rounds of the NFL draft.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Deity

If NFL teams dont see him as a 1st round value, why do you for fantasy? I think McCaffery is the best RB in this years draft. I am picking 2nd overall in my keeper league and I am praying that the other GM in front of me takes Fournette 1st overall (and if he goes where most project him to go in the actual draft, I like my odds).

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

If NFL teams dont see him as a 1st round value, why do you for fantasy? I think McCaffery is the best RB in this years draft. I am picking 2nd overall in my keeper league and I am praying that the other GM in front of me takes Fournette 1st overall (and if he goes where most project him to go in the actual draft, I like my odds).
    I would draft McCaffrey 1st overall in PPR formats only. Mixon has the best all-around skillset and is the best fantasy back across formats. Fournette is the best back out of the i-formation at this point. Much like AP can't do shit outta the shotgun. It's just a matter of feel for these three really. I don't think there's a wrong answer at this point.

But again, if we're talking value, Mixon is the one most likely to surpass his draft capital. That's all I'm saying.
    @SmittysRant

Just to expand...IF Mixon is taken in the 2nd round of the NFL draft, that means he had a first round grade and was dinged only because of his off-field incident. So value-wise in dynasty drafts, Mixon goes off the board at 4-5 overall, there's value there. If you draft Fournette at the 2 spot, he will never out perform his fantasy draft capital at that spot. You're in theory drafting him at his peak so at best it's a wash in terms of productions vs. draft capital.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Deity

With the 2nd overall pick, I am not in a position to gamble on someone exceeding their draft position. I need guys to match their draft expectations.

With the 2nd overall pick, I am not in a position to gamble on someone exceeding their draft position. I need guys to match their draft expectations.
    I wasn't suggesting you draft Mixon at the 2-spot. I was suggesting that Mixon is the most talented all-around back in this year's RB class. Regardless, rarely will any player exceed their fantasy draft capital if they're selected first or second overall. So I'm not sure where you're going with your last point.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Deity

I probably could have worded that last part better.

What I was trying to say was if a guy is drafted in the top 10 of the actual NFL draft, one expects (hopes) he is worthy of that draft spot so when I draft for my fantasy league, I can expect that type of return in a high pick.

Does that make any more sense?

I realize quality guys will slide in the NFL draft due to differing reasons but those guys also make me wary in the fantasy world as well.

On a side note, it's good to know this years draft will hold plenty of TE options for fantasy because my TE on my roster sucks ass.

I probably could have worded that last part better.

What I was trying to say was if a guy is drafted in the top 10 of the actual NFL draft, one expects (hopes) he is worthy of that draft spot so when I draft for my fantasy league, I can expect that type of return in a high pick.

Does that make any more sense?

I realize quality guys will slide in the NFL draft due to differing reasons but those guys also make me wary in the fantasy world as well.

On a side note, it's good to know this years draft will hold plenty of TE options for fantasy because my TE on my roster sucks ass.
    Just a couple of things,,,,

First, you're absolutely correct. You can't draft,,,say in my example...Mixon over McCaffrey just because you (I) think the former is a better prospect when the latter was drafted multiple rounds ahead in the NFL draft. I agree with that.

My bigger point and the one I was apparently dancing around (points always seem clearer in my brain than they do on paper) is my top tier is 6 player previously mentioned. Assuming Mixon goes in the first two rounds (my personal arbitrary cut off) I would absolutely trade down from 1st or 2nd overall, staying in the top-6 range, acquiring maybe another 2017 3rd or 2018 2nd or whatever....knowing my top RB (Mixon) may fall within that 6 player range in fantasy drafts.

If Mixon is drafted in rounds 3-4 of the NFL draft....now I'm targeting mid-late first rounders (league size depending) as the spot to acquire Mixon (little more risk than advised but I don't mind it).

If that makes sense.

But yeah....I am in no way advising anyone to draft Mixon in the top-4 if he goes off the board in the 5th round of the NFL draft just because he's talented. No way.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Mixon is easily the most talented offensive player in the draft, and I don't think it's particularly close. He's probably a terrible human, and that sucks, but that doesn't change his talent. Axe's question is misrepresenting the situation. It's not that teams don't see him as a first round value, it's that players with his off the field record generally don't even get DRAFTED. The fact that he's still being talked about as a second rounder instead of signing as a UDFA (see La'el Collins) is a testament to just how supremely talented he is.

Dalvin Cook has a terrifying athletic profile. Someone who has tested as poorly as he did hasn't been drafted in the 18 years they have data for. Fournette is a beast but a zero in the pass game.

Overall, I think the RB class is being oversold on how good it is.

Also, if McCaffrey is drafted by the Panthers, he'd pretty much fall off my draft board. I do not think that coaching staff knows how to use his talent.

Dobber Sports Deity

I think Mixon goes early 2nd round myself. I doubt he falls outside the 2nd.

I think Mixon goes early 2nd round myself. I doubt he falls outside the 2nd.
    I did too. Until news came out today re DE Caleb Brantley knocking a girl unconscious which is going to refuel the Mixon chatter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Mixon is easily the most talented offensive player in the draft, and I don't think it's particularly close. He's probably a terrible human, and that sucks, but that doesn't change his talent. Axe's question is misrepresenting the situation. It's not that teams don't see him as a first round value, it's that players with his off the field record generally don't even get DRAFTED. The fact that he's still being talked about as a second rounder instead of signing as a UDFA (see La'el Collins) is a testament to just how supremely talented he is.

Dalvin Cook has a terrifying athletic profile. Someone who has tested as poorly as he did hasn't been drafted in the 18 years they have data for. Fournette is a beast but a zero in the pass game.

Also, if McCaffrey is drafted by the Panthers, he'd pretty much fall off my draft board. I do not think that coaching staff knows how to use his talent.
    Absolutely agree with your last point. Not a good fit with Cam who's not know for his patience in allowing himself to throw to an RB.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Absolutely agree with your last point. Not a good fit with Cam who's not know for his patience in allowing himself to throw to an RB.
    Partially on Cam, partially on the coaches, either way it would suck.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post

I agree with this. All of it. +1

So if you were drafting 2nd overall and lets say Fournette goes 1st and McCaffery does go to Carolina, who do you like 2nd?