Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The new parent advice thread!

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: The new parent advice thread!

Lots of great advice here!

Having kids will change (for the better) your life forever!

Always remember - you both wanted kids so make sure you share the workload....and I don't mean doing the cooking and cleaning (although that helps). Your lovely missus will be lacking in sleep and one of the best things you can do is take your turn and let her rest....even if you have to go to work in a few hours.

Happy wife, happy life!

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post
    Always remember - you both wanted kids so make sure you share the workload....and I don't mean doing the cooking and cleaning (although that helps). Your lovely missus will be lacking in sleep and one of the best things you can do is take your turn and let her rest....even if you have to go to work in a few hours.

Happy wife, happy life!
    I imagine a great way to do this would be coming home from work at around 6 and telling her "I'll take care of Junior, you go take a nap for a couple of hours."

Man, I am probably going into this with completely unrealistic expectations of being able to manage it.

Great job setting up that room. It looks really cool.

Dobber Sports Pro

Is the baby's name Koroll?

After Blackhawks winger Cliff Koroll?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Good! That makes my job easier lol.

I already bring in 80% of the family income, do most of the grocery shopping, cook most of the dinners, and do most of the cleaning... so it wouldn't be a huge adjustment for me.

She would just be spending 9 hours a day taking care of the baby instead of working as a kindergarten teacher, and then another 9 hours a day taking care of the baby instead of doing beauty treatments, doing her hobbies, and ****ing around on the internet.
    oh silly husband.. There's 20% of shit she gets to b*tch about that you aren't doing...
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    oh silly husband.. There's 20% of shit she gets to b*tch about that you aren't doing...
    So true lolololol

Dobber Sports Ninja

Have a blast. It's a terrifying, exhausting, wonderful, insane, foul-smelling, heart-breaking, life changing experience that has utterly ruined late nights and lazy weekends but enriched my life in ways that I would never trade for.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    So true lolololol
    I say all this, but my wife other than the constant complaining about morning sickness - she had it bad for the 1st three months - so it was completely justifiable - I had it really easier with her. At 7 1/2 months we were on a tennis court playing doubles with her family. Trooper.

all jokes aside - best most amazing decision of our lives.

Dobber Sports Titan

It takes 10,000 throws to make it to the MLB, if you start when the kids 0, should be there way before the kids 18
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It takes 10,000 throws to make it to the MLB, if you start when the kids 0, should be there way before the kids 18
    To piggy back on this one, if you are under 6 feet tall don't bother grooming your kid to be a pitcher. Go for hockey or golf instead.

If it is a girl, golf is nearly a guaranteed college scholarship at this point if they are decent.

Dobber Sports Master

Lucafen has given you the most complete advice I would give. Congratulations! I am in week 3 of parenting and everything Lucafen has said is true. Month 1, just survive. Don't waste money on baby clothes. People will give you lots of clothes. Lots. They spend the first month in onesies and pyjamas.. Don't buy expensive clothes. Don't fall for it.

Don't ever be too tired to sing lullabies to help your baby sleep. You WILL be too tired, but don't be. He or she will need it and the mother will appreciate the help. Start with reading and lullabies in the womb. Baby will recognize your voice on the outside. Trust me. You can't breastfeed (if that's the plan) so do things that help: change her every time she needs when you are home. Rock her to sleep, etc. Do those things to help. You can't do much else early on.

It's amazing and I tell you, like Lucafen did, that there is nothing like seeing your child for the first time. It's crazy. Also, take the opportunity to do skin to skin contact with your child after the mother has, if you can. It helps form the development bond way more than you'd think. If even just for a little, try and do it. Mom for sure, but you too.

Good luck! Survive!
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Jedi

#15 - they are born with attitude and it grows as they do. You have little control over likes/dislikes. roll with it. You can buy all the hockey sticks, soccer balls you want. They might just want to paint.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    #15 - they are born with attitude and it grows as they do. You have little control over likes/dislikes. roll with it. You can buy all the hockey sticks, soccer balls you want. They might just want to paint.
    Then you tell them to paint the the scoreboard with ginos.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Then you tell them to paint the the scoreboard with ginos.
    I lol'd

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

1st off... Congrats.

2nd off... try to take some time each day starting right now to reflect on the day that's past and express some gratitude for it. Before you know it, you'll be looking back and wondering where the last 11 years went as you look at your "tween" and his/her sibling(s). I can't stress this enough. Every day is an experience. Good/Bad/Ugly/Beautiful/LOW KEY/HIGH STRESS etc etc etc. One day at a time.

Don't focus on the past, what's done is done. There's no changing it.
    Be Aware and responsible, but don't worry about the future. It will come regardless of whether you like it or not.
    But do invest time in the present. Make space in your heart and mind to witness life's special moments as they happen. For soon, they too will be in the past but being aware will help to recognize further moments as they "PRESENT" themselves.

Life is about to change greater than you could ever imagine. A change that astounds me each and every day. Enjoy it! Embrace it! Immerse yourself in it!

I wish you and your growing family nothing but the best.

Oh yeah.. and the clean house? Yup... it will be gone. If you can accept that and care less about what others think... you'll be much farther ahead!

The Wolverine

I have no advice since I don't have kids, but just wanted to say congrats!