Thread: ADIDAS.. Boston Marathon Blunder....

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default ADIDAS.. Boston Marathon Blunder....

I didn't see this posted

Man... I know they're apologizing out of their asses, with some of the most brilliant marketing minds in the world... how did they even fathom this as not 'blowing up' in their face (SARCASTIC, INAPPROPRIATE PUN INTENDED).

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/04..._16087334.html

The subject line of the email sent Tuesday by Adidas Running read: "Congrats, you survived the Boston Marathon!"

IDIOTS...
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: ADIDAS.. Boston Marathon Blunder....

sometimes you wonder about marketing teams and if they are actually connected to the real world at all. That or they just love making their own big companies look idiotic.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

Sometimes I wonder if these things are done on purpose knowing how much attention they will get. Any publicity is good publicity type thing? Either way, poor form.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    sometimes you wonder about marketing teams and if they are actually connected to the real world at all. That or they just love making their own big companies look idiotic.
    Those companies are so big they become totally disconnected from reality. It's on autopilot. Chances are some intern came up with the email and their boss forwarded it along without giving it much thought and it went out to people without much of anyone else even looking at it. They're not thinking about actually doing things the right way. They're just trying to get through the day.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't know. I could see it being an easy one to overlook honestly. Saying you "survived" a difficult running event is pretty common. I can imagine the 'gasp' from the marketing guy as he realizes he hit send on that email though. Pretty funny.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I don't know. I could see it being an easy one to overlook honestly. Saying you "survived" a difficult running event is pretty common. I can imagine the 'gasp' from the marketing guy as he realizes he hit send on that email though. Pretty funny.
    Hmmm. I don't think so. This is closer to Sean Spicer's comments about Hitler not stooping as low as al-Assad. Just ask the families of the victims. This only happened 4 years ago!!!
    There are just some things you don't say. Ever. Like others have said here, these corporations are disconnected from the real world. They seem to be brain washed into the corporate world which sometimes lacks morals and ethics not to mention emotion.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Hmmm. I don't think so. This is closer to Sean Spicer's comments about Hitler not stooping as low as al-Assad. Just ask the families of the victims. This only happened 4 years ago!!!
    There are just some things you don't say. Ever. Like others have said here, these corporations are disconnected from the real world. They seem to be brain washed into the corporate world which sometimes lacks morals and ethics not to mention emotion.
    I just have to disagree. It was a mistake but really not a huge deal like people are making it out to be, particularly since "surviving" a race is something that is said nearly all the time about events like this. It's a totally common phrase that slipped through. Should have been caught but when something is such a common part of language it can be difficult to just stop using that phrase. A good editor should have caught it and changed the language but beyond that mistake it's not such an issue.

I know an individual here in town who had their young child die last year. I saw them about 6 months after the fact and we were chatting about something and I slipped up and said something to the effect of 'oh it just killed me' and I felt like a total idiot after. The thing is when you use certain phrases and language a lot it's not so easy to just flip the switch and not say those things ever again in certain situations.

Now it's a little different with a big corporation as they have more checks and processes to weed out those mistakes, but it was merely a phrasing issue that should have been caught and not a big deal as far as I am concerned. I'm not getting into Sean Spicer as I don't think those nimwits deserve the attention.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I just have to disagree. It was a mistake but really not a huge deal like people are making it out to be, particularly since "surviving" a race is something that is said nearly all the time about events like this. It's a totally common phrase that slipped through. Should have been caught but when something is such a common part of language it can be difficult to just stop using that phrase. A good editor should have caught it and changed the language but beyond that mistake it's not such an issue.

I know an individual here in town who had their young child die last year. I saw them about 6 months after the fact and we were chatting about something and I slipped up and said something to the effect of 'oh it just killed me' and I felt like a total idiot after. The thing is when you use certain phrases and language a lot it's not so easy to just flip the switch and not say those things ever again in certain situations.

Now it's a little different with a big corporation as they have more checks and processes to weed out those mistakes, but it was merely a phrasing issue that should have been caught and not a big deal as far as I am concerned. I'm not getting into Sean Spicer as I don't think those nimwits deserve the attention.
    I understand what you are saying. I just think this was such an insensitive comment made by a major corporation and their marketing department definitely needs some education in that area. That being said, I don't expect their stock to drop $1.4 billion like it did for United Airlines because of another insensitive situation. Unlike UA, their quick apology may have limited the damage.

Dobber Sports Titan

This was an oversight by someone who doesn't think.

I like doing the Tough Mudder events (no where near the length of the Boston Marathon) but people have died from it (very rare tho). But the event still does signs like "Are you dead yet?" or "You survived!" at the end. You survived is a common saying in long distance or tough running races, complete oversight by someone who very likely doesn't follow news at all and is a bit of a space case.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if these things are done on purpose knowing how much attention they will get. Any publicity is good publicity type thing? Either way, poor form.
    This +++
    League 1: 10 teams Points only (Best 9F, 4D and 1G count for the season and best 8 for the playoff). Drop 4 players before a 4 round draft before season. Mini draft during all star week-end (drop one pick one available).

F: MacKinnon, Pettersson, Eichel, Barkov, Stone, Ehlers, Necas, Huberdeau, Zacha, Boldy, , Lafreniere, Cozens, Vilardi
    D: Dobson, Ekblad, DeAngelo, Seider, Bouchard, Matheson, Clarke
    G: Vasilievski, Sorokin

League 2: 14 teams, same setting.

F: Rantanen, Kyrou, Barkov, Raymond, Perfetti, Jarvis, Lundell, Lafreniere, Byfield, Holtz, Norris, Reichel, Rossi
    D: Dahlin, McAvoy, Addison, Krug, Lundkvist, Clarke
    G: Sorokin, Demko

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    This was an oversight by someone who doesn't think.

I like doing the Tough Mudder events (no where near the length of the Boston Marathon) but people have died from it (very rare tho). But the event still does signs like "Are you dead yet?" or "You survived!" at the end. You survived is a common saying in long distance or tough running races, complete oversight by someone who very likely doesn't follow news at all and is a bit of a space case.
    I have considered doing one of those Tough Mudder events but the electroshock portion sort of does not appeal to me so I stick to regular running events!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Sensitivities aside... Technically... ADIDAS was right though.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4