Thread: Big trade involving picks

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Big trade involving picks

Hey,

So I am a little new to dynasty style fantasy leagues and want to know what you guys think of this trade.

16 team H2H dynasty (G,A,+-,SOG,PPP,Hits,Blocks)

Give: 2017 3rd overall, 2018 1st rounder (the team I inherited is terrible so for sure a lotto pick and probably a top 3 pick)

Get: 2017 6th overall, 2018 3rd rounder(so middle 2nd round), Colin White, Connor Brown, Andreas Anthenasoiu, 2 of the following 3(Kevin Fiala/Jakob Zboril/Travis Sanheim)

Any thoughts on this? I like what I am getting in return but my only concern is the 2018 class is looking strong and I don't want to miss an opportunity at a stud. Thanks for the help.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Big trade involving picks

We need to see your roster & league settings before really giving feedback. You should add both to your signature... that way its easier to judge player values.

welcome to the forums!
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Dropping from 3rd to 6th overall in this draft isn't that big of a deal, IMO.

The way I see this trade.

6th overall + Brown and Athanasiou
    for
    3rd overall

White, Fiala, Sanheim, 3rd rounder 2018
    for
    1st rounder 2018

It's not a bad offer. I don't know much about leagues with HITS/BLOCKS but it's definitely an offer Id consider. Without knowing anything about your team/position I think it's an offer I would take.

PS - welcome to the forums

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    We need to see your roster & league settings before really giving feedback. You should add both to your signature... that way its easier to judge player values.

welcome to the forums!

Just updated my signature with the information. Thanks again.
    16 Team H2H Franchise style with Cap (G,A,FOW,SOG, STP, Hits, Blocks)(Gpt3, GAA, Sv, Sv%) 3 Centers, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 2 Skaters, 4 Bench spots, 3 IR. Minor league prospects can only be acquired via trade and draft.

C: Seguin, Eichel, Crosby
    LW: Marchessault, Rakell, Labanc
    RW: Lindholm, Radulov, Stamkos
    D: Ghost, Risto, Dumba, Cernak, Juulsen
    Skt: Strome, Wheeler
    Bench: Staal, Perry, Thornton, Lemieux

Goalies: Holtby, Grubauer, Jarry

Minor Leagues: Alex Turcotte, Trevor Zegras, Vitali Kratsov, Noah Dobson

Dobber Sports Jedi

You're likely going to be better than you think. In fantasy hockey, you're usually 3-4 good trades from basement to contender. Laciking stud prospects, I'd say you're 5-6 away. The trade gives you some Solid pieces, White, Brown, Fiala & I’d take Sanheim overZboril – my preference, I think he’s just going to be all around better andcloser to breaking in.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you end up middle of pack 6-10thby seasons end if you continue to make smart – value trades (moving two 6/10players for a 7-7.5/10 player). Brown and Fiala should show significant jumpsin production next year as their roles continue to increase (especially Fiala).I’d hope for a Brown level season for White next year.

In a 16 team league, teams aren’t as deep as smallerleagues, so the margin to make up ground on top teams is less.

While not requested, I’ll throw it out there as well. I’dstand pat on your goalies until you find out where Fleury & Darling land. Neuvirthgetting more starts in Philly should also help. You could find yourself with 3 startinggoalies come Sept. (although Mason/Fleury could be in Vegas). Your D is the weakestspot on your team, Ghost, Ellis are good, I’d want to move toward obtaining anelite Dman (Carlson could come cheap right now) and hope Honka takes a big stepnext season.

I like the trade for you, and I would suspect you’re notgiving up a top 3 pick in what looks like a top heavy draft (as long as you’reactive in improving the team over the summer)

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    You're likely going to be better than you think. In fantasy hockey, you're usually 3-4 good trades from basement to contender. Laciking stud prospects, I'd say you're 5-6 away. The trade gives you some Solid pieces, White, Brown, Fiala & I’d take Sanheim overZboril – my preference, I think he’s just going to be all around better andcloser to breaking in.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you end up middle of pack 6-10thby seasons end if you continue to make smart – value trades (moving two 6/10players for a 7-7.5/10 player). Brown and Fiala should show significant jumpsin production next year as their roles continue to increase (especially Fiala).I’d hope for a Brown level season for White next year.

In a 16 team league, teams aren’t as deep as smallerleagues, so the margin to make up ground on top teams is less.

While not requested, I’ll throw it out there as well. I’dstand pat on your goalies until you find out where Fleury & Darling land. Neuvirthgetting more starts in Philly should also help. You could find yourself with 3 startinggoalies come Sept. (although Mason/Fleury could be in Vegas). Your D is the weakestspot on your team, Ghost, Ellis are good, I’d want to move toward obtaining anelite Dman (Carlson could come cheap right now) and hope Honka takes a big stepnext season.

I like the trade for you, and I would suspect you’re notgiving up a top 3 pick in what looks like a top heavy draft (as long as you’reactive in improving the team over the summer)
    That is some really solid advice. Thank you.

If I do accept I would need to drop 2 players to make room for Brown and Anthenasiou. Any advice on that?
    16 Team H2H Franchise style with Cap (G,A,FOW,SOG, STP, Hits, Blocks)(Gpt3, GAA, Sv, Sv%) 3 Centers, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 2 Skaters, 4 Bench spots, 3 IR. Minor league prospects can only be acquired via trade and draft.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Smith-Pelly & Sproul, although being on IR, I doubt they make a difference.

I'd prefer to try to wrangle a second trade making a 2 or 3 for one, rather than straight drop if you can sit on accepting the trade first.

If that's not an option, I'm likely dropping Grigorenko & Santini. Both Brown & AA are bumps on those two. Brown will give 50pts a push next year, AA should creep up on 40. Both better than what you'll get from Grig or Santini.

Dobber Sports Ace

First of all, welcome to the forums toucansafari!

You don't HAVE to accept the first offer that comes your way. If someone is coming to you and asking you for your assets they have given the offer some thought and are aware that a counter-offer might come.

With that being said I am not one to downgrade from potential star players for potential depth players. The players you would be getting, with all due respect to their value in the real NHL, will be middle-of-the-pack players when they reach their upside.

You are giving up quality for quantity. The idea is to try and win your league and not just being satisfied with almost winning - think of the Maple Leafs before they had some awesome young stars. They have young stars now, and are competitive because they refused to trade those picks away (for a change) in exchange for mediocre players.

I would suggest you try to get as much value out of some of your current producing players and trade them for up and coming potential stars. This way you'd be trading some of your mediocre players in exchange for players that will help you turn the corner, the right way.

Good luck with your team going forward.
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Nehithaw View Post
    First of all, welcome to the forums toucansafari!

You don't HAVE to accept the first offer that comes your way. If someone is coming to you and asking you for your assets they have given the offer some thought and are aware that a counter-offer might come.

With that being said I am not one to downgrade from potential star players for potential depth players. The players you would be getting, with all due respect to their value in the real NHL, will be middle-of-the-pack players when they reach their upside.

You are giving up quality for quantity. The idea is to try and win your league and not just being satisfied with almost winning - think of the Maple Leafs before they had some awesome young stars. They have young stars now, and are competitive because they refused to trade those picks away (for a change) in exchange for mediocre players.

I would suggest you try to get as much value out of some of your current producing players and trade them for up and coming potential stars. This way you'd be trading some of your mediocre players in exchange for players that will help you turn the corner, the right way.

Good luck with your team going forward.
    Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

Yeah, I ended up turning it down. He wasn't willing to budge on any of it and given how my team is structured I am pretty much trying to do exactly what you are saying, which is get some superstars rather than depth guys. The picks I would be giving up(mainly the 2018 pick) has a potential star written all over it so I was not willing to give it.

Right Now I am reviewing which players I would keep for the long haul. Mainly Senko and Ghost are the only ones that stand out to me, I'd say the rest are fairly expendable and I will be trying to move them for better pieces. Do you think there is anyone else I should hang onto? Rakell is close.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Honka, Darling, Ellis, Rakel, Carter I would also hold close in the interim... they're your most valuable assets. Not a bad decision to hold your picks. - you'll also likely get a much better offer on your '17 pick right before the draft.

Honka & Darling I wouldn't move as they could easily become part of your core in a year or two. Darling, f he goes to Dallas possibly as early as Sept.

The Great One

Although I generally agree with potential stars over depth, sometimes your depth turns into stars.

White
    Fiala
    Sanheim
    Brown
    Athanasiou
    6th overall in 2017
    3rd rounder 2018

3rd overall in 2017
    1st rounder 2018 (top 3 pick)

Again, the 6th overall pick might end up being better than the 3rd overall pick in this years draft.

No wonder he didn't budge. I wouldn't have either. I think the only way you would lose this deal is if that pick becomes 1st or 2nd overall.

Saying that, your team is pretty bad. This kind of trade might be a year or two too early for your team.

You still need a couple young studs to build around. You really need those high end players more so than young depth right now.

Did you trade for Tarasenko or did this team already have him when you took over?

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Although I generally agree with potential stars over depth, sometimes your depth turns into stars.

White
    Fiala
    Sanheim
    Brown
    Athanasiou
    6th overall in 2017
    3rd rounder 2018

3rd overall in 2017
    1st rounder 2018 (top 3 pick)

Again, the 6th overall pick might end up being better than the 3rd overall pick in this years draft.

No wonder he didn't budge. I wouldn't have either. I think the only way you would lose this deal is if that pick becomes 1st or 2nd overall.

Saying that, your team is pretty bad. This kind of trade might be a year or two too early for your team.

You still need a couple young studs to build around. You really need those high end players more so than young depth right now.

Did you trade for Tarasenko or did this team already have him when you took over?

He was on here when I took over. Yeah, I would say I would need the high-end guys much more than depth. I do really like this deal, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it is what this team needs. But like you said if I was two years along I had another few stars to build around I would snap up this deal for sure.

In talks with another team to trade Zibanejad for a 2018 1st and 2018 4th (playoff team) Seems like a pretty good deal. Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by toucansafari View Post
    He was on here when I took over. Yeah, I would say I would need the high-end guys much more than depth. I do really like this deal, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it is what this team needs. But like you said if I was two years along I had another few stars to build around I would snap up this deal for sure.

In talks with another team to trade Zibanejad for a 2018 1st and 2018 4th (playoff team) Seems like a pretty good deal. Thoughts?
    trading Zibs for picks sets you further back. he's young and producing now. I would hold off on moving Zibs until you can include him in a larger deal for that young stud type player - Ehlers, Nylander, Werenski etc. A league that values hits, I would be targeting N. Ritchie, S. Bennett, Trouba, Dumba, some young guys with solid ceilings that haven't taken off yet as well - may be a bit late to snag Trouba/Dumba cheaply.