Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Do you cheer for other Canadian teams in the play-offs?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Do you cheer for other Canadian teams in the play-offs?

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    It's also important to understand the world from another person's perspective, not just our own. There's more than one way to be a fan.
    This. And more ways in an individuals life. I know this could sound belittling, it it's just my personal experience on this. When I was a kid, teen, early adult etc, I couldn't stand any success for a rival. It would be anyone but them.

Nowadays, I might feel that if that certain rival eliminates my team, but even then. It'll be gone by next season at the latest. And it's not about the team, but as Eric mentioned earlier - my brothers favourite team is my biggest rival. If they succeed in a long playoff run while my team doesn't, it's not so much cheering my rival, but I'd like my brother (cousin, neighbour, mortician etc.) to enjoy his teams success. I'd like that very much actually. When I was younger, I didn't feel that way. It was always anyone but them.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
    I know this could sound belittling, it it's just my personal experience on this. When I was a kid, teen, early adult etc, I couldn't stand any success for a rival. It would be anyone but them.
    I was the same way for a lot of years. I see it as maturation. No sense becoming an emotional trainwreck over something I can't control like a sporting event.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Giant

No sense becoming an emotional trainwreck over something I can't control like a sporting event.
    Ya but...

I get the maturity part Eric, but when you watch a Habs-Bruins game or a Habs-Leaf game, it feels the ''same way'' as when you watch Montreal play a team like the Wild or the Blues? Anyways, I've derailed this thread way too much I tried to steer it back on course and then I fall back into the derailment, hehe!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I get the maturity part Eric, but when you watch a Habs-Bruins game or a Habs-Leaf game, it feels the ''same way'' as when you watch Montreal play a team like the Wild or the Blues?
    Of course it's different. It's way more intense and it's fun.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yes, I cheer for all Canadian teams...

TOO LOSE!
    hqdefault.jpg
    dum, dum, duhhh!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Giant

Of course it's different. It's way more intense and it's fun.
    Ahhhh, it's different because of the back stories ?? There's more to it than just a game of hockey. You want to win and even ''punish'' the rival team as the win is that much sweeter and the hits are harder respectively. That ''hate'' or ''competitive nature'' to a lesser extent, stems from not wanting that rival to succeed. In your case, I think that that ''hate'' is forgotten or not felt when the rival is not directly involved with the Habs' fate. I guess it is maturity or as you said earlier (which I really respect): ''It's also important to understand the world from another person's perspective, not just our own. There's more than one way to be a fan.''
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    So much hate on these boards! lol I don't understand why you can't be happy for other fan bases. Grew up an Oiler fan during the glory days and Battle of Alberta when men were men and games took nearly four hours because of all the fights and I was STILL happy when Calgary won the Cup. They had such tough luck in having to face that stacked Oilers dynasty, they deserved one. I guess it's just human nature to hope that others fail. Might as well just cheer for kids to get cancer.
    See, I always had good natured rivalry with the smelly Shames from down south. Our family had people living near or in both cities and we would call each other up after games etc. It was what made it fun for me because it was never mean spirited or nasty, but it added a layer of intensity to those games in the 80s when you just knew 3 hours down Highway 2 were people actively rooting against you and your team and would revel in your down fall. Seeing Theo Fleury slide across that ice after his OT goal in 1991 was like feeling a dagger being slid into my chest when I was younger. Here I am with kids of my own and we are staying up late and cheering on the Oilers and booing the Flames together - it's just a lot of fun for us!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Ahhhh, it's different because of the back stories ?? There's more to it than just a game of hockey. You want to win and even ''punish'' the rival team as the win is that much sweeter and the hits are harder respectively. That ''hate'' or ''competitive nature'' to a lesser extent, stems from not wanting that rival to succeed. In your case, I think that that ''hate'' is forgotten or not felt when the rival is not directly involved with the Habs' fate. I guess it is maturity or as you said earlier (which I really respect): ''It's also important to understand the world from another person's perspective, not just our own. There's more than one way to be a fan.''
    What I really see as maturation is letting go of the hatred and bitterness. It extends well beyond hockey/sports. But that's just how I see things. It's been very useful for me.

I'm along for the ride and it's fun as hell but I have way less attachment to the outcome. I had a great test recently as a longtime Falcons fan.

Dobber Sports Icon

wouldnt say Cheer so much as hope teh best for them..except the Leafs..and Habs

After im done watching teh Sens i turn to teh Oilers or Flames and hope they win.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Banned

Eric's post are so cringey and phony in here lol

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik View Post
    My post are so cringey and phony in here lol
    Fixed that for you.