Thread: Sheary/Guentzel vs other forwards

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Sheary/Guentzel vs other forwards

What's your thoughts on Sheary (LW/RW) and Guentzel (C/LW) vs these other forwards? Kesler, Hoffman (LW/RW), Atkinson, Voracek (LW/RW). Could you make a case to keep the pens wingers over those guys? I keep reading Dobber's ramblings on these guys and they are becoming more intriguing every time. Most of the players I stated have dual position eligibility but that may change heading into next year.

Yahoo Roto Keeper League
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, Hits, BS

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Sheary/Guentzel vs other forwards

You could definitely make the case. Next season I think they both outpoint Voracek. Atkinson may come down a touch, and end up within 5pts of both of them. Hoffman's value is in the shots and goals, but his peripherals aren't ideal. Kesler is a lot tougher to compare as he's older, a centre, and a multicat beast.

Really depends on what your team needs and what your strategy is going into next season.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Novice

I'm curious as to what people think about Guetzel vs Sheary. Tough comparison considering they basically have the exact same deployment.
    Keep 10: G, A, PPP, SHP, Wins, Save %

4xC,LW,RW,D 2xG, 3xprospects, no bench

C: Eichel, Tavares, Pettersson, Larkin
    LW: Guentzel, Olofsson, Vrana, Keller
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Bjorkstrand, Zucker
    D: Letang, Werenski, Slavvin, Chychrun
    G: Bobrovsky, Rask
    Prospects: Samsonov, Blackwood, Kakko

Bold: Keepers, Italics: Not eligible to be kept

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by jcheung29 View Post
    I'm curious as to what people think about Guetzel vs Sheary. Tough comparison considering they basically have the exact same deployment.
    Guentzel by a hair for me just based on his pedigree and success at previous levels.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Not sure how Dobber thinks Sheary/Guentzel will get 85 pts without PP1 time

The Great One

Kesler is tops due to multi cat factor... After that I can think a case can be made for any. Hoffman won't post the assists and for me loses value with no shots, Atkinson could regress with the entire Jackets IMO (can't see them having he same run as last year and already their pp looks 'normal'), Voracek and Philly's one trick pony has also been found out so needs re enforcement IMO. Shesry and Guentzel haven't done it for a while season yet
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

The Great One

I will post here what I posted in another subforum earlier today, since it's arguably as relevant:

Anybody remember Shawn McEachern? He was a 6th round pick in 1989 and in 1992-93 he posted 61 points as in his first full season for the Pens at age 23, and only posted 60+ once more again, and not until nearly a decade later. But boy oh boy was there hype for him going into 1993-94. Also, there's the reality that the list of Pens forwards to score 65+ points in a season since Crosby came into the league in 2005-06 consists of exactly six players - Crosby (10 times), Malkin (8 times), and one time each for Kessel, Neal, Kunitz, and Recchi.

Another key point is indeed PP Time. Here were the PPPts for each of the four in their seasons when they posted 65+ - Neal (30), Kessel (30), Recchi (27), Kunitz (22). I think Sheary and Guentzel will be hard pressed to post anything close to those numbers unless they're both PP1 staples, which is unlikely since the Pens will run with Malkin, Crosby, Kessel, 1D, and for the fifth spot either another D or, as they have for ages, a large bodied forward (like Kunitz, or before him Neal, and which currently is Hornqvist).

Can Sheary and/or Guentzel go nuts and post huge numbers? Of course it's possible; however, this data shows that it's not as easy as it would seem. Two words - buyer beware.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Sophomore

also consider when they don't play with Crosby, nothing lasts forever. I like Atkinson the most out of the bunch
    12 Team Rotto Keeper League (Keep 10)

Positions: 4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 2G, 5 extra
    Player Stats: G, A, Points, Hits, Blocks, SOG, PPP, SHP, Corsi
    Goalie Stats: GAA, SV%, SV, SO, Wins

Center: Matthews
    Right: Kucherov, Draisaitl, Pastrnak
    Left: Gaudreau
    Defense: Chabot, Letang, Provorov
    Goalies: Vasilevskiy, Binnington

Dobber Sports Giant

Voracek in a heartbeat for me! Best combination of proven talent and age IMO! He had a down year; so did most players in Philly. As an owner, I expect him (and a few other Flyers) to bounce back next year.

I would also want Kessler afterwards (even without FOW and his age factor)
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Voracek in a heartbeat for me! Best combination of proven talent and age IMO! He had a down year; so did most players in Philly.
    I don't see how you can call it a "down year" when it's been 2 years in a row. Has he just has a double-down-year, which he's ready to spring back to life from? Seems more likely to me that he's a 60-65 point player who had an "up year" a couple years ago.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I will post here what I posted in another subforum earlier today, since it's arguably as relevant:

Anybody remember Shawn McEachern? He was a 6th round pick in 1989 and in 1992-93 he posted 61 points as in his first full season for the Pens at age 23, and only posted 60+ once more again, and not until nearly a decade later. But boy oh boy was there hype for him going into 1993-94. Also, there's the reality that the list of Pens forwards to score 65+ points in a season since Crosby came into the league in 2005-06 consists of exactly six players - Crosby (10 times), Malkin (8 times), and one time each for Kessel, Neal, Kunitz, and Recchi.

Another key point is indeed PP Time. Here were the PPPts for each of the four in their seasons when they posted 65+ - Neal (30), Kessel (30), Recchi (27), Kunitz (22). I think Sheary and Guentzel will be hard pressed to post anything close to those numbers unless they're both PP1 staples, which is unlikely since the Pens will run with Malkin, Crosby, Kessel, 1D, and for the fifth spot either another D or, as they have for ages, a large bodied forward (like Kunitz, or before him Neal, and which currently is Hornqvist).

Can Sheary and/or Guentzel go nuts and post huge numbers? Of course it's possible; however, this data shows that it's not as easy as it would seem. Two words - buyer beware.
    The one point I would make here... That's an awful long time to go back! Hockey has never been so advanced and I'd argue that athletes are better prepared, conditioned and 'grounded' as to what makes them succesful and to maximise their careers (and earning potential).

You note the guys that have listed 65 points plus since 2005-6 and I'd argue that each spent the majority of time with Cdosby and/Malkin in those seasons and that when either/both missed significant time then those other players points diminished. Now Guentzel and Sheary are best suited to top 6 minutes compared to the likes of Recchi (when with the pens) and Kunitz who could also play down the line up and contribute which also played a part.

re pp points yes the lack of pp1 is a concern but they can still post 10-15 points on pp2 with the odd bounce up to pp1.... Crosby posted 89 points (25pp) points and didn't play with these two all season (and missed some time - more on that later) but if Crosby repeats those even strength points and they are only in on around 50% of them. With the pp you are already at 50ish...

as I mentioned on the other thread I'm more concerned about them not posting 65 plus based on health (of them and Malkin/Sid) rather than pure ability or usage. Do I think they are the best bets in this scenario? Possibly not but I think every player on this list has a drawback
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Stud

PP1 time is a must to load up points at an elite level. This much we know.

I think both Sheary and Pretzel can break 60 points without it, and that will be solid fantasy production. I also have an inkling that Hornqvist is either moved in the offseason or finds himself shifted back to PP2 in exchange for one of the youngsters - my guess being Guentzel.

Despite his slight stature, JG is a gritty player who does well as a net front player and is very cerebral. You watch him set up shop in the hash marks/blue paint at even strength and Sid finds him as he gets just enough separation. That type of ability will do very well on the top unit.

Give me Guentzel over Sheary and pencil me in for projecting him to push close to 70 points in a healthy 2017-18 season.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Novice

As of the last 3 playoff games, the most common PP1 for Pittsburgh (per Dobber lines) was Crosby-Malkin-Kessel-Guentzel-Schultz

Looks like the shift has started.
    Keep 10: G, A, PPP, SHP, Wins, Save %

4xC,LW,RW,D 2xG, 3xprospects, no bench

C: Eichel, Tavares, Pettersson, Larkin
    LW: Guentzel, Olofsson, Vrana, Keller
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Bjorkstrand, Zucker
    D: Letang, Werenski, Slavvin, Chychrun
    G: Bobrovsky, Rask
    Prospects: Samsonov, Blackwood, Kakko

Bold: Keepers, Italics: Not eligible to be kept

Dobber Sports Giant

I'd take voracek, atkinson and kessler first. these guys aren't dependant on Crosby. also guentzel, sheery, and Crosby all have to stay healthy for them to jump into my list, which is not very likely imo.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO