Thread: McDavid and Saros for Matthews, Kucherov +

Dobber Sports Stud

Default McDavid and Saros for Matthews, Kucherov +

The offseason is here and with it comes a constant stream of trade talks between myself and fellow GMs. The bulk of which will likely be monstrous, as this one is.

With that stream means you'll get plenty of threads to receive opinions from some of the smartest fantasy minds out there.

A buddy of mine has been trying to land McDavid forever and has put out Matthews, Kucherov, a goalie (one of Greiss, Soroykin, Varlamov) and his 2018 first rounder for McDavid and Saros.

I can likely just ignore the returning goalie aspect as I have Price, Andersen and Hellebuyck on the roster, and just save the keeper spot and grab a prospect goalie like Shesterkin in the draft while asking for another pick perhaps.

The meat of the deal is the four prime pieces though.

All the specs are in my signature.

What say ye?

Thanks! Rep. Rep.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: McDavid and Saros for Matthews, Kucherov +

I'd pass. We don't know how good McDavid will get. It's a good start, but I would want another solid skater instead of the goalie piece if you're not going to use it. Keep negotiating, but you need something where you have no doubt.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    I'd pass. We don't know how good McDavid will get. It's a good start, but I would want another solid skater instead of the goalie piece if you're not going to use it. Keep negotiating, but you need something where you have no doubt.
    The McDavid ceiling is frightening to think about.. Kucherov and Matthews could and likely should be consistent ppg+ threats for many years.

But you may be right that another legit piece could make it a no brainer and that's whats needed to move the white whale.
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Master

I'd keep McDavid too. How many best players are there in the league? Only one, and he is it.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Sage

With 17 keepers kuch and Mathews is good realistic value for mcd. I'm still inclined to pass though. With another elite piece added id be more inclined to accept. Even though that doesn't make alot of sense for the other gm. I'll say it again, McDavid demands and illogical return or you are better off keeping him. This isn't quite illogical enough to me.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I'm going to be in the minority I fully expect, but I think Matthews and Kuch are are very good return for McDavid. I think we're seeing McDavids potential at 100-110 per year. Matthews and Kuch are both ppg threats with great contributions to the other cats. Like you said, you don't need the goalie return so adding in the 1st rounder is probably more valuable than Saros with your tenders.

I like it. But I'm huge on Matthews and love Kuch aswell.

Dobber Sports Ace

Am I reading it correctly as points are worth 3, PPP are 1, +\- are 1 or -1, and shg are worth 2?

I think I would definitely be interested in countering the deal. I'd keep saros and ditch his G offering. THen maybe counter mcD + a lesser piece of yours (maybe an older guy like jumbo or a guy like guentzel)
    For
    Kuch + Matthews + 1st + another strong piece.

As others have hinted: the deal proposed is a strong offer, but not enough grease to make mcD slip out of your grip. It's close. But I'd hold out for a bit more

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    Am I reading it correctly as points are worth 3, PPP are 1, +\- are 1 or -1, and shg are worth 2?

I think I would definitely be interested in countering the deal. I'd keep saros and ditch his G offering. THen maybe counter mcD + a lesser piece of yours (maybe an older guy like jumbo or a guy like guentzel)
    For
    Kuch + Matthews + 1st + another strong piece.

As others have hinted: the deal proposed is a strong offer, but not enough grease to make mcD slip out of your grip. It's close. But I'd hold out for a bit more
    Yeah...He's putting up guys like Bjorkstrand or Zacha as additional pieces. Not in the realm that would be worth a keep for me.

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Ace

Personally I still don't think it's a bad deal. It's just a "is it crazy enough to deal mcdavid?"

Using this years stats: (too lazy to break down shp to see how many were shg)
    Mcdavid= 100 *3 , 27 + 27 = 354
    Kuch = 85*3, 13,32 = 300
    Matthews= 69*3,2,21=230

So you'd say replace Guentzel (keeper)in this argument.
    Guentzel prorated for 82 games would be: 66*3, 7, 3 or 208

So on last years stats it would be a slight loss with a 1st coming back, although long term I think I'd be more comfortable with the combo of kuch and Matthews (not sure I see guentzel hitting 66 points most years , if any). Let's say he's more of a 45 point guy lost years and he's 45*3 15 10. Then he's more in the 160 range which means you'd come out ahead most years.

It's hard without seeing his team, but I think I'd still be comfortable doing a deal like:
    Matthews + kuch + 1st + another strong keeper
    For
    Mcdavid + non keeper or potentially maybe losing a G keeper like Andersen if you think hellboy and saros get enough time.

Matthews and kuch I think are a strong starting point. I'm normally one to trade an elite guy for 2 sub elite (debatable if they are elite , but are below mcdavid in this example) + 1st (should become a star I assume) + another "star" player. Just for the fact of an injury etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Joe Davola View Post
    Yeah...He's putting up guys like Bjorkstrand or Zacha as additional pieces. Not in the realm that would be worth a keep for me.

The Great One

Pass for me but that's because I think you can upgrade that third piece... With or without you including Saros
    Experience is the teacher of all things.