Thread: Value of 1st Overall in Entry Draft

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Value of 1st Overall in Entry Draft

Hi guys,

I lucked out and won the lottery in our league after finishing 3/9. As my team is pretty competitive right now, also young core, I really don't need the pick. I would be looking to improve on wing primarily, so the question is:

What caliber of a winger should I be expecting and asking for the pick in this years weakish (?) entry draft?

Thanks in advance!
    Ice Cap Hockey League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2020. Commish.
    Global Fantasy League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2022. Commish.
    BHL, 12 teams dynasty. Est. 2010. Commish.
    SSHL, 10 teams dynasty. Est. 2020.
    JHL, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2023.

Yearly best ball league player.

The Great One

Default Re: Value of 1st Overall in Entry Draft

I always leave a trade for that's sort of pick until your draft when GMs tend to want to be the guy that 'spotted the potential' of whoever they pick (even if it is first overall). Re who you can acquire totally depends how much you can drive the price up to so I shop it hard and play offers off against each other to maximise it (be warned there is a skill in doing that without annoying the GMs bidding). A pretty vague answer I know but hope it helps
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think you could get a guy like bjorkstrand

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont think anyone here can tell you what the pick is worth because every league is a little different when it comes to player value.

I do know if I were going to move the pick, I wouldn't be looking to do it until close to your draft date. Thats when these picks have their max value. Put it out there that you are open to offers and see what comes your way.

Personally, I would keep it but again, it all depends on league setup and your current roster limitations.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Well... I would first start creating the argument that as weak as the draft is, that excludes the top two picks and begin laying comments about how sick HIscher's game or series was, his WJC dominance. How well Patrick has played since injury, how big/fast/strong he is. Pump the tires on your pick. Say you'll entertain offers, but don't really want to move it cuz you love these two guys. You'll increase your return. That and wait until right before the draft. What you get offered now, is a fraction of what you'll get offered leading up to draft day.

With all the negative talk, they're still two really good players. would have been interesting to see Patrick in last years draft to see where he would have gone. IMO - 3rd to CBJ as they wanted a C. I would be wanting top end prospect coming back. or a really solid NHL player in a deal.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

As Axeman mentioned it is different in each league.

I wouldn't try to trade it for just a winger.... I think you will get more value the pick with a current winger for a much better winger. Use it as a tool to improve on a current winger.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Well... I would first start creating the argument that as weak as the draft is, that excludes the top two picks and begin laying comments about how sick HIscher's game or series was, his WJC dominance. How well Patrick has played since injury, how big/fast/strong he is. Pump the tires on your pick. Say you'll entertain offers, but don't really want to move it cuz you love these two guys. You'll increase your return. That and wait until right before the draft. What you get offered now, is a fraction of what you'll get offered leading up to draft day.

With all the negative talk, they're still two really good players. would have been interesting to see Patrick in last years draft to see where he would have gone. IMO - 3rd to CBJ as they wanted a C. I would be wanting top end prospect coming back. or a really solid NHL player in a deal.
    I agree with this strategy. Keep the pick until closer to the draft. But I would want a 60 point player in return for the 1st overall pick. See if you can even get a 65 point player. If you don't get at least a 60 point player, then keep the pick.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the input. I'm afraid that if I keep the pick, Patrick/Hischier as centers might never crack my playing lineup of 4, having McDavid/Eichel/Backstrom as locks and Strome, Zacha, Dvorak etc on center prospects, as well as Tyler Johnson and Little.

But, I would not like to throw it away too easily either. Maybe the best thing to do is to let it play out a little while and see if anything comes up

Dobber Sports Deity

Personally I like the idea of drafting one of the big two and prospects like Zacha, Dvorak, etc are always tradeable later on if need be, especially if you don't get a trade offer you like.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by stimperi View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm afraid that if I keep the pick, Patrick/Hischier as centers might never crack my playing lineup of 4, having McDavid/Eichel/Backstrom as locks and Strome, Zacha, Dvorak etc on center prospects, as well as Tyler Johnson and Little.

But, I would not like to throw it away too easily either. Maybe the best thing to do is to let it play out a little while and see if anything comes up
    Keeping the pick doesn't mean you have to keep the player forever, right? You can trade Patrick/Hischier when the season starts for example. If healthy, they could crack the NHL right away. That would probably make them even more valuable trade chips.

The Great One

....especially if they start well....
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yeah. It can't hurt to have too many great prospects, can it

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Another question relating - how do you guys value Clayton Keller compared to 1st overall this year? Better, same-ish, worse?
    Ice Cap Hockey League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2020. Commish.
    Global Fantasy League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2022. Commish.
    BHL, 12 teams dynasty. Est. 2010. Commish.
    SSHL, 10 teams dynasty. Est. 2020.
    JHL, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2023.

Yearly best ball league player.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Another question relating - how do you guys value Clayton Keller compared to 1st overall this year? Better, same-ish, worse?
    Probably same-ish right now.

Dobber Sports Deity

It depends on your league setup and who you consider the 1st overall this year (obviously we don't know who it will be yet). Comparing Hischier to Nolan Patrick, one is a better sniper and one is a better multi-cat player. I would say Keller is more comparable to Hischier than he is to Patrick because of their style of play.