Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hobey Baker winner Will Butcher not signing with Avs

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Hobey Baker winner Will Butcher not signing with Avs

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    The Jets would love to sign a lefty d-man, but I know plenty of teams will be calling.

Is it me, or did this guy sound a bit less than respectful when talking about his chat with Sakic? "He came in and gave me his whole spiel..." Maybe I'm wrong, but something sounds off. It's Joe Sakic!
    that was the red flag for me thinking he would sign.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    The Jets would love to sign a lefty d-man, but I know plenty of teams will be calling.

Is it me, or did this guy sound a bit less than respectful when talking about his chat with Sakic? "He came in and gave me his whole spiel..." Maybe I'm wrong, but something sounds off. It's Joe Sakic!
    I thought the exact same thing. Spiel was a very poor word choice if he wanted to come across as respectful.

spiel
    spēl,SHpēl/
    informal
    noun
    noun: spiel; plural noun: spiels
    a long or fast speech or story, typically one intended as a means of persuasion or as an excuse but regarded with skepticism or contempt by those who hear it.

"he delivers a breathless and effortless spiel in promotion of his new novel"

synonyms: speech, patter, (sales) pitch, blurb, talk; More

Dobber Sports All-Star

Well there is one thing that tells us about him. He is one smart cookie.

Dobber Sports Ace

We all know col has some work to do, especially on D. But if I'm a prospect and look up at a potential top 6 consisting of:
    Lando-duchene-mac
    Jost-Patrick(assuming they get #1)-rantanen

And they have some other talent as well.

Again. Clearly they have some work to do, but is there a chance they surprise a little? It could be a decent place for a young guy to get an opportunity to shine

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    We all know col has some work to do, especially on D. But if I'm a prospect and look up at a potential top 6 consisting of:
    Lando-duchene-mac
    Jost-Patrick(assuming they get #1)-rantanen

And they have some other talent as well.

Again. Clearly they have some work to do, but is there a chance they surprise a little? It could be a decent place for a young guy to get an opportunity to shine
    I'm not sure if Patrick or Jost are ready to be top-6 players yet. They both certainly project to become that but might not be ready for it full-time yet.

If they get Patrick, I think they'd keep MacKinnon-Duchene-Patrick at center, unless of course they trade Duchene.

But yeah, they have some solid pieces and they shouldn't be as bad as they are. They need a new GM who can build around what they have instead of starting it all over again but maybe that's just me.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Just what Col. needs - draft another Centre... not that drafting Mack ROR set them up for a cluster --- when they could have addressed other positions. I mean, what's the difference between having Mackinnon, Duchene, jost & Patrick compared to when they had mack, orielly, stastny, Duchene?

there are other positions they can draft. Hell, they could trade down, get a young NHL read or close to ready D and also draft one ie: Makar and still have Mackinnon/jost down the middle.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Just what Col. needs - draft another Centre... not that drafting Mack ROR set them up for a cluster --- when they could have addressed other positions. I mean, what's the difference between having Mackinnon, Duchene, jost & Patrick compared to when they had mack, orielly, stastny, Duchene?

there are other positions they can draft. Hell, they could trade down, get a young NHL read or close to ready D and also draft one ie: Makar and still have Mackinnon/jost down the middle.
    Very true, that's why I'm hoping they lose the draft and drop to 3rd overall. They probably can't help themselves if they get the 1st overall pick.

But having too many centers should never be an issue. San Jose has Thornton, Pavelski, Couture, Marleau and Hertl as bigger names who play or have played center in the NHL. It's always easier to move centers to wing than moving wingers to center.

And trading a center is very easy because everyone is always looking for one. But stud D-man might actually have more value in the trade market, even though it might be difficult to understand when looking at things through fantasy hockey glasses. (Not talking about you here, talking about myself. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Larsson is worth Hall but I guess that's the market for potential top pair D-men.)

Miro Heiskanen would actually be exactly what Colorado needs - a solid left-handed shot who plays a strong defensive game but can also move the puck. They already have Barrie, so in Makar or Liljegren they'd be adding another similar player. Heiskanen would be a perfect partner for a guy like Barrie. And he's probably as close or maybe even closer to being NHL ready. He was a top pair D-man for a top-4 team in the Finnish league, and now he's playing at the U18 tournament and showing more of his offensive skills there when playing against his age group. I'm really high on this kid (for real life purposes, not so much for fantasy hockey purposes).

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    But having too many centers should never be an issue. San Jose has Thornton, Pavelski, Couture, Marleau and Hertl as bigger names who play or have played center in the NHL. It's always easier to move centers to wing than moving wingers to center.
    Centers also tend to be way more versatile which helps during to cover for injuries and line shuffling. Huge plus to have an overload there.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust