Thread: Bruins ink McAvoy in time for playoffs

Dobber Sports Master

Default Bruins ink McAvoy in time for playoffs

Here is the story from NHL.com

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/bs-i...ct/c-288640120

Wonder how impactful he will be vs. Ottawa??

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Administrator

Default Re: Bruins ink McAvoy in time for playoffs

I doubt he gets a lot of ice time so I'd guess his immediate impact will be marginal.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

I think the rush to get him in was due to Krug/Calro being banged up. He was better than other secondary options they have.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

He does seem a very similiar piece to slot in where Krug would so maybe Krug's injury is worse than feared if they are willing to sign him now (does this also burn a year of his ELC?)
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    He does seem a very similiar piece to slot in where Krug would so maybe Krug's injury is worse than feared if they are willing to sign him now (does this also burn a year of his ELC?)
    Yes, this burns his first year, something the Bruins were trying to avoid but as you mention, injuries pretty much forced their hands here.

It's hard to say what type of impact he will have. He's certainly a better offensive option than someone like Adam McQuaid and quite possibly Zdeno Chara at this point. He did get a few AHL games in on his ATO but playoff hockey is a different thing all together. I expect him to get a healthy dose of icetime out of the gate but he wont get top four minutes so anythings possible but I am not expecting much. His ability to play actual defense will determine how his icetime goes.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

WOnder if there is value if they protect him with top PP minutes and limit his even strength minutes
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Seems like a very similar situation to Krug when he broke in, mind you he got some AHL time first - 63 games - before getting called up as an injury replacement during the playoffs. I would expect McAvoy to play a similar role to Krug, following that blueprint - sheltered ice time, put in positive offensive O-zone starts PP2 time.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Banned

He is paired with Chara in practice. Not a huge fan of that for Boston since Chara is not very good. Their D is very weak right now.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Charlie McAvoy skated alongside John-Michael Liles at Monday's practice.
    "I'm really excited," said McAvoy, who has gone from college to the AHL and up to the NHL just before the playoffs. "It's been kind of a whirlwind for a few days here. But I'm very excited to be here. (The coaches) have been very supportive. It was a great first practice." He is expected to play Wednesday because Brandon Carlo and Torey Krug have been ruled out due to injuries.
    Source: Boston Herald

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik View Post
    He is paired with Chara in practice. Not a huge fan of that for Boston since Chara is not very good. Their D is very weak right now.
    Actually, despite becoming virtually fantasy irrelevant aside from the deepest of leagues, Chara has been playing his best overall hockey in last few years. He's playing big and important minutes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
    Actually, despite becoming virtually fantasy irrelevant aside from the deepest of leagues, Chara has been playing his best overall hockey in last few years. He's playing big and important minutes.
    He is a step behind the play. I really don't see how you would think he's playing his best overall hockey. It's pretty clear he is not as good as he used to be, because of age.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik View Post
    He is a step behind the play. I really don't see how you would think he's playing his best overall hockey. It's pretty clear he is not as good as he used to be, because of age.
    Good thing he has long legs and can take a big step to catch up quickly. haha

Dobber Sports Ace

...his best in last few years.

It would be silly to say "best overall hockey". and I don't believe I did. But when he fell off the cliff a couple 2-3 years back, he really took a dive. He's been much more comfortable and reliable this season than in the last few and the team seems more comfortable leaning on him a bit more than in the recent past as well.

Edit- I can see how my poor wording in my original post could be construed as suggesting Chara is playing his best overall hockey. Mean to say he's been better this year than in recent past.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

sens and bruins are playing each other so now big_shieky is a bruins expert too. guys he knows his stuff come on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by iwinthings View Post
    sens and bruins are playing each other so now big_shieky is a bruins expert too. guys he knows his stuff come on.
    pretty sure the whole league knows Chara has declined a lot. This isn't an insult or anything, it's just fact. He can't be relied upon as Top D.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
    ...his best in last few years.

It would be silly to say "best overall hockey". and I don't believe I did. But when he fell off the cliff a couple 2-3 years back, he really took a dive. He's been much more comfortable and reliable this season than in the last few and the team seems more comfortable leaning on him a bit more than in the recent past as well.

Edit- I can see how my poor wording in my original post could be construed as suggesting Chara is playing his best overall hockey. Mean to say he's been better this year than in recent past.
    That's what I thought you meant. My bad.