Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why would Tavares sign an extension?

The Great One

Default Why would Tavares sign an extension?

Maybe this belongs in Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey instead, but I figured I'd start here.

I read today (https://twitter.com/BComptonNHL/stat...55881149636609) that apparently Tavares might be leaning toward signing an extension. Is it just me, or is anyone else baffled at that? I suppose maybe he's just saying the right thing to seem reasonable, but what has the franchise done to incent him to stay, versus at least testing the FA market? Stamkos I could kind of understand given the state of the franchise and past success, but Tavares with the Islanders - I'm not seeing it.

What does everyone think staying with the Islanders would do for his fantasy value, versus inking a deal to go elsewhere? I have to think it hurts him, no?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Administrator

Default Re: Why would Tavares sign an extension?

Maybe he likes living there?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Some guys feel loyalty to one franchise that doesn't always make sense. Seems to be the case with Tavares.

Dobber Sports Jedi

perhaps it's the realization that if he went to Tor. he'd be the #2 C and wants to be the man.

honestly, I see him as kin of introvert who doesn't car for big change & I comfortable here he is
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Monster

I think he probably just doesn't want to be that guy who abandons the team that made him their franchise. I think guys are weary of the reputation they could get, sort of like a Lindros/Nordiques situation. First overall pick, face of the franchise, captain. He probably has a lot of roots in the area now so I don't blame him for wanting to stay. Certainly that organization has not given him good enough lineups, but I guess if the money is good and he's comfortable there I understand it.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Ninja

Maybe he has friends, connections, things he likes, restaurants he goes to, hobbies he enjoys and on and on - all of which are tied to his current situation. There's no guarantee that he goes somewhere else and he wins a Cup either. Better chances, yeah perhaps, but if you have the life you want to live in a place the grass isn't always greener somewhere else.

The Great One

Yes - clearly he could just want to stay and despite the ineptitude of the franchise would see leaving as a net-negative, but I wonder if there's a good parallel of a player who mortgaged his chances at a cup and possibly his statistical legacy to stick with a doomed franchise?
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    perhaps it's the realization that if he went to Tor. he'd be the #2 C and wants to be the man.

honestly, I see him as kin of introvert who doesn't car for big change & I comfortable here he is
    ever think he just doesnt wanna go to TOR? not every hockey player wants to be there...regardless of what every Leafs fan wants to believe.

What makes Shane Doan stay in ARIZ? What makes Stamkos stay in TB?
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Sage

The franchise will make it all about him, they need him to stay.

They'll pay him big and he won't have to worry about getting injured next year without a contract. He's probably very comfortable there, hockey players are people and comfort and safety is important to most of us. As I age I understand this more. As much as players want to win a cup there are certainly more important things in life (family, relationships in general, not risking your financial freedom for the rest of your life by not having a long term contract etc).

I wouldn't be shocked either way but I could certainly see him re signing. The stars almost always seem to.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Administrator

There's more to life than the Stanley Cup and the idea that players have to uproot themselves and their families to chase it for our entertainment.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    There's more to life than the Stanley Cup and the idea that players have to uproot themselves and their families to chase it for our entertainment.
    Great - then name some parallels among truly elite talent. I went back and looked, and none really jumped out, except maybe Gilbert Perrault and that was ages ago. And no offense to Shane Doan, but he's just not in the same conversation.

It just seems like the true best of the best among NHL players don't stay forever with a doomed franchise.

I have nothing against Tavares if he has other priorities in life, but it seems like squandering a gift, not to mention a legacy.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Great - then name some parallels among truly elite talent. I went back and looked, and none really jumped out, except maybe Gilbert Perrault and that was ages ago. And no offense to Shane Doan, but he's just not in the same conversation.

It just seems like the true best of the best among NHL players don't stay forever with a doomed franchise.

I have nothing against Tavares if he has other priorities in life, but it seems like squandering a gift, not to mention a legacy.
    he's not really putting up elite or 'best of the best' numbers the past couple years either.... maybe... he's not elite, maybe he's just really good or even really really good.

Administrator

Who cares if he's elite or not? I'm just making the case why someone would want to stay put. Doesn't require a long list of past examples for him to copy-cat from. He is his own person.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Who cares if he's elite or not? I'm just making the case why someone would want to stay put. Doesn't require a long list of past examples for him to copy-cat from. He is his own person.
    Elite was part of the original argument to move on. That is why it's relevant.

Eriksson just did the opposite by signing in Van. Karlsson in Ott. is another one.

Ray Bourque in Bos until management sat him down and said go.

Mats Sundin -near the end in Tor. was willing to retire than move on. took half season to accept he wasn't retiring a Leaf.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Yes - clearly he could just want to stay and despite the ineptitude of the franchise would see leaving as a net-negative, but I wonder if there's a good parallel of a player who mortgaged his chances at a cup and possibly his statistical legacy to stick with a doomed franchise?
    Erik Karlsson and Connor McDavid

Haha, joking aside. I think he knows more than we do about where the team is headed and likely in is discussion with the GM about what he wants. To me the biggest hurdle would be the Brooklyn arena and I bet there is a plan to get out of there. Also there are new owners who will help him stay/aren't Charles Wang. Also I doubt NYI is a doomed franchise as you say.
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league