Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Prediction: Vegas starting goalie?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Prediction: Vegas starting goalie?

I'm not predicting exactly who, but to me it would make sense that it will be someone that they will take in the expansion draft, rather than a FA signing such as Mason or Bishop.

I say that because a) they aren't going to be good right away so why invest in a free agent tender to play in front of a bad team, and b) the relative quality of goaltender that they can acquire in the expansion draft is likely better than skaters, so they would probably spend their money signing forwards.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I'm not predicting exactly who, but to me it would make sense that it will be someone that they will take in the expansion draft, rather than a FA signing such as Mason or Bishop.

I say that because a) they aren't going to be good right away so why invest in a free agent tender to play in front of a bad team, and b) the relative quality of goaltender that they can acquire in the expansion draft is likely better than skaters, so they would probably spend their money signing forwards.
    agree with this 100%, especially the 2nd point.

I think they take a young guy with high upside, Korpisalo, Pickard etc..
    Then look for a veteran they can rely on, Fleury, Reimer, Raanta
    I gotta do the expansion draft again over at capfriendly.com
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Administrator

Bryzgalov

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

Darling or Bishop gets my vote, however I do think the Pens will offer LV an incentive to take MAF.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Wizard

Having a bad team is exactly the reason why they need a good goalie who can occasionally bail them out. Without a good goalie, they'll be like the Colorado team from this season, and they can't keep their own players or persuade free agents.

Edmonton is a good example what a losing environment does to your young players. They needed to win the lottery and get the best player in the world to get out of that funk, and I'm not sure if Hall, RNH and Eberle will ever recover from being part of that team - even though Hall has moved on from there and they're doing better now, all of these players are disappointments in my opinion.

If I'm Vegas GM, I'm getting my #1 goalie during the negotiating period they have before the expansion draft. Don't take risks with that, just go with a proven option who you can trust all season long. Yes, they can't pick another player from that team but so what - the pickings are very slim anyways when you consider where the best FA goalies are right now.

The Great One

Being like Colorado would be considered a success for the new expansion team.

They should be doing nothing but drafting players for the first three years. These drafted players shouldn't play an NHL game within the franchise' first three years anyways.
    They won't be able to attract UFA's. They'll get the pickings of the litter when players are desperate and looking for ANY job.

Losing environment? This team will be a loser team for a couple years. No goalie will solve that problem. Get the young goalie and/or old vet and don't overspend when you don't have to.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Bishop at 5x5. This season cost him a ton of money.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Having a bad team is exactly the reason why they need a good goalie who can occasionally bail them out. Without a good goalie, they'll be like the Colorado team from this season, and they can't keep their own players or persuade free agents.

Edmonton is a good example what a losing environment does to your young players. They needed to win the lottery and get the best player in the world to get out of that funk, and I'm not sure if Hall, RNH and Eberle will ever recover from being part of that team - even though Hall has moved on from there and they're doing better now, all of these players are disappointments in my opinion.

If I'm Vegas GM, I'm getting my #1 goalie during the negotiating period they have before the expansion draft. Don't take risks with that, just go with a proven option who you can trust all season long. Yes, they can't pick another player from that team but so what - the pickings are very slim anyways when you consider where the best FA goalies are right now.
    I'm not of the belief that "good goalies can bail out" bad teams, at least not with a frequency that would make it a viable strategy. I expect it's more likely that bad teams drag down good goaltending.

In any case, why would any FA goalie with decent prospects want to let himself in for that? Other teams are going to be there in the mix. They would really have to break the bank. Why do that when the skaters that they get in the expansion draft are a bunch of cast offs?

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Veteran

In any case, why would any FA goalie with decent prospects want to let himself in for that? Other teams are going to be there in the mix. They would really have to break the bank. Why do that when the skaters that they get in the expansion draft are a bunch of cast offs?
    There's only 31 starting goalie jobs in the NHL, that opportunity to be the #1 gus would be enough for any goalie to be interested.

Personally, I'm hoping It's Raanta, but I can see it easily being Bishop or Fleury.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    There's only 31 starting goalie jobs in the NHL, that opportunity to be the #1 gus would be enough for any goalie to be interested.

Personally, I'm hoping It's Raanta, but I can see it easily being Bishop or Fleury.
    Exactly this. I would be surprised if there's a long line behind Bishop's door this summer. Very few teams are looking for an expensive #1 goalie, and there are other options besides Bishop. Vegas will need to overpay but it won't be nothing that would hurt them.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Seeing as Dalhin is the prize in next years draft.. maybe they want a crap goalie this year to get that 20% shot at a franchise Dman??? Then trade/sign one next year.

17/18 is a good season to try to tank
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Seeing as Dalhin is the prize in next years draft.. maybe they want a crap goalie this year to get that 20% shot at a franchise Dman??? Then trade/sign one next year.

17/18 is a good season to try to tank
    At this point, people are saying that there are 3-4 franchise players in that 2018 draft. Maybe it will be a great draft, too early to tell. But I think Vegas will have the best odds even if they try their best. It's not like they're going to be a playoff team right away. There's a difference between having the worst record and being the laughing stock of the entire league.

Administrator

Even if Vegas is a long-term project they still have work to do now to set the foundation for the future. Drafting is fine and will be most important for them but they still need to build their team with the expansion draft. Some players they pick will be useful 3-4 years down the line and they also have to bring in some vets to help them along. Also, finding a goalie for the future is difficult and it takes a long time to reach their peak so they'd be smart to try out at least one starting next year.

In other words going the wasteland route is a bad idea IMO.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

Going the wasteland route should be the only idea.

Finish last three years in a row! Or, try to be competitive and try to field a team with the other 30 teams scrap players. You're just delaying the inevitable.

Maybe 3-5 of the guys you'll get in this draft will be with the team in 4-5 years. In the meantime stock pile picks and prospects cause you aren't even sniffing the playoffs until then.

Create a losing environment! You have to.

And when you're ready to compete with the young guys you drafted you'll have to clear house. Hire your new coach. The first (few) coaches will be guinea pigs anyways. Bring in the rookies slowly. Kinda like what Toronto did the last 2-3 years.

Of course, this means protecting your youngsters. They should pay more attention to their AHL team. They should be protecting those players from a losing environment. They should compete for the Calder Cup before making the big jump. Kinda like what Tampa did the last 3-4 years.

If they can combine those strategies I think Vegas could compete sooner than just fielding a team this year and trying to be competitive.

The goal next year would be to get zero points and draft first overall. And to not play the kid for at least 1 year. Rinse and repeat. Bring them in slowly.

Sign UFA's for 1 year.....Trade them at the deadline for mid picks.

Draft well.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Going the wasteland route should be the only idea.

Finish last three years in a row! Or, try to be competitive and try to field a team with the other 30 teams scrap players. You're just delaying the inevitable.

Maybe 3-5 of the guys you'll get in this draft will be with the team in 4-5 years. In the meantime stock pile picks and prospects cause you aren't even sniffing the playoffs until then.

Create a losing environment! You have to.

And when you're ready to compete with the young guys you drafted you'll have to clear house. Hire your new coach. The first (few) coaches will be guinea pigs anyways. Bring in the rookies slowly. Kinda like what Toronto did the last 2-3 years.

Of course, this means protecting your youngsters. They should pay more attention to their AHL team. They should be protecting those players from a losing environment. They should compete for the Calder Cup before making the big jump. Kinda like what Tampa did the last 3-4 years.

If they can combine those strategies I think Vegas could compete sooner than just fielding a team this year and trying to be competitive.

The goal next year would be to get zero points and draft first overall. And to not play the kid for at least 1 year. Rinse and repeat. Bring them in slowly.

Sign UFA's for 1 year.....Trade them at the deadline for mid picks.

Draft well.
    Creating a losing environment on purpose in a new expansion city sounds like a terrible business venture. Vegas has to sell tickets, they have to try and be competitive and compete FAST... the NFL is coming.
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)