Thread: Building From the Back End

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Building From the Back End

Team 2 in Sig; Looking way too far out as I am in championship currently but it is a question I will contend with either way. Came into the season with Josi and Hedman, they're both staying. Drafted Ristolainen who turned into a stud so now he is staying which makes for 3 keepers on the blue line. Acquired Murray earlier in year so between him and Jones that's another 2 slots leaving 3 only for forwards. 3 forwards are Backstrom, Simmonds and one of Hall/Ehlers/Drouin (god help me). Am I wrong to think this "build from crease out' mentality is correct or should I only keep 2 defenders like coming into this season to retain another forward. Doing this requires me to relinquish the likes of Voracek and Johansen certainly and potentially two of Hall/Ehlers/Drouin to the draft pool.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Guentzel,Sv ech,Thomas,Rust,Jenner,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault,Sc hwartz,Arvidsson
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Harley,Pettersson
    G:Jarry,Kotchetkov,Stolarz
    IR:Gudas,Vilardi

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Kempe,Vilardi
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Nyquist
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Building From the Back End

With what you have, you should be happy being able to go into the draft not worrying about when to take a goalie or a D. It's a nice position to be, and I don't see why it can't work for you.

Hall/Ehlers would be my pick of the two. If you can parlay Hall's name into a draft pick then I would be happy keeping Drouin.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    With what you have, you should be happy being able to go into the draft not worrying about when to take a goalie or a D. It's a nice position to be, and I don't see why it can't work for you.

Hall/Ehlers would be my pick of the two. If you can parlay Hall's name into a draft pick then I would be happy keeping Drouin.
    This.

For some reason, I think you can actually get similar value out of Drouin than for Hall. Hall is boring, plays for NJD. Drouin is flashy and plays for Tampa. I'm a huge Drouin fan, but production wise I'll take Hall without blinking.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Ace

Drouin has 53 points to Hall's 51 this season (one game played difference). Hall MIGHT be a better player, but it's not going to show itself in New Jersey with those teammates. Hall's trade value is less in my league than Drouin's, from what I can gather (every league is different, though).

My keep preference is Ehlers > Drouin > Hall.

As EB said, going into the draft with no worries about when to draft G and D is very nice. Gs are usually the most stressful to draft, so while guys are using 1st and 2nd round picks on Gs, you can swoop in and take the best forwards available.

The Great One

Trade Josi - he's still a big name but his best is likely behind him
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Trade Josi - he's still a big name but his best is likely behind him
    Don't take this as me jumping down your throat or anything, really just curious what makes you think so?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Don't take this as me jumping down your throat or anything, really just curious what makes you think so?
    Don't get me wrong - I don't see him starting to do worse. It's just that 60 points again might be a tall order, as he's below that pace this season without any unsustainable bad luck metrics. It's called sell high for a reason. Sure, I suppose he could keep Josi and do fine, but if he could flip Josi and a forward for a really great forward then why not entertain that, especially with Risto likely only getting better every year and Hedman seemingly having made the leap?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Titan

Completely fair. If you can sell Josi as more than a 60 point Dman then for sure go for it. I guess the way I read your comment was along the lines of "he won't be hitting 50+ points again" so I was curious where it was coming from. It's all based on perception.