Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Streaming for goalies Rule?!?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Streaming for goalies Rule?!?

My question is should/can there be a Rule about streaming for goalies
    especially in the playoff weeks?

In my case I'm in the finals against someone who only has Dubnyk as a goalie!
    The problem is that in the playoffs I'm using 3 slots for my goalies( Price Vasilevskiy and Halak)
    .. he has only Dubnky.. because of that he has more players to play for the week and he just picked up Grubauer yesterday. That solve his problem so to speak. In a week where teams are resting their players( my Price on monday) it's frustrating to see how someone who even doesn't have solid duo of goalies can stream and beat me in the goalie categories... Is there a rule to lock the FA goalies at least for the playoffs or thats too much to ask
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Streaming for goalies Rule?!?

There isn't a specific rule that I know of it.

There are some rules to counter it. Have a limit of home many forwards and defense can be on the bench, forcing a team to have a 2nd goalie on their roster.

Dobber Sports Genius

That's just strategy in my mind. I do have a league where rosters lock after the regular season (no FA pick-ups period in playoffs) which makes teams have to consider the entire run instead of day to day grabs which is a decent strategy.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by j0hn_d0e View Post
    Is there a rule to lock the FA goalies at least for the playoffs or thats too much to ask
    I would say yes it is. Believe me I don't like it...and hate doing it...but he just as easily could have picked up Darling last night who was arguably the better play.

I would suggest minimizing weekly moves. All that is is a strategy based on the rules of the league.

Dobber Sports Jedi

rules are on a league by league basis. Some leagues ban any all waiver/UFA adds during playoffs. so your roster is your roster.

I wouldn't define what he has done as streaming though - one goalie add. Grubaurer will likely get another start by end of week aswell. This is more a smart waiver add than streaming. If he wasstreaming, I’d expect him to have rolled through at least 3 waiver goalies thisweek. I don’t see anything wrong with a strategic waiver addition.

Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Laendarian View Post
    That's just strategy in my mind. I do have a league where rosters lock after the regular season (no FA pick-ups period in playoffs) which makes teams have to consider the entire run instead of day to day grabs which is a decent strategy.
    lucafen4 - ''......''

That's actually a great rule! I will talk to our commish to do that next year

hockeyrobot - ''All that is is a strategy based on the rules of the league.'' it's a strategy BUT the frustrating part is the lock element - I'm stuck in with 3 goalies.. I can't just drop one or two of them.. and because is h2h he has about 7 players more than me and its easy to use a transaction for a goalie.
    If it was the oposite, he's the one to have less players maybe would consider twice to use a transaction for a goalie when you already have less players and with that you are risking to losing more of the skating categories.. It's all strategy I get it it's just to much - less skaters for me, less flexability for me and then that goalie streaming

Thanks for the fast responses, guys!
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Superstar

lucafen4 - ''......''

That's actually a great rule! I will talk to our commish to do that next year

hockeyrobot - ''All that is is a strategy based on the rules of the league.'' it's a strategy BUT the frustrating part is the lock element - I'm stuck in with 3 goalies.. I can't just drop one or two of them.. and because is h2h he has about 7 players more than me and its easy to use a transaction for a goalie.
    If it was the oposite, he's the one to have less players maybe would consider twice to use a transaction for a goalie when you already have less players and with that you are risking to losing more of the skating categories.. It's all strategy I get it it's just to much - less skaters for me, less flexability for me and then that goalie streaming

Thanks for the fast responses, guys!
    To be blunt you can drop a goalie if you want to. Everyone knew the rules going in, if it was more advantageous to only have 2 goalies on your roster so you could carry an extra skater than that is the logical move. You have more goalies so you have more starts to choose from, this is advantageous in 2 ways: 1. You have a better shot at taking W's and SVs and 2. You can sit a goalie if he has a really tough opponent to protect SV%/GAA. The downside to your opponent's strategy is he's all but punting SVs and has to have everything go perfect to get the other goalie stats.

Personally I'm a fan of simply setting a maximum weekly moves limit, to prevent all out streaming, from there its up to the individual managers as to whether they want to carry 1 goalie or 5.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Immortal

l
    Why are you stuck with 3 goalies? I reread you original post and don't see anything about locking lineups?

Im confused. Doesn't take much tho

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Not to be harsh but yeah, you can drop a goalie if you want to. Everyone knew the rules going in, if it was more advantageous to only have 2 goalies on your roster so you could carry an extra skater than that is the logical move. You have more goalies so you have more starts to choose from, this is advantageous in 2 ways: 1. You have a better shot at taking W's and SVs and 2. You can sit a goalie if he has a really tough opponent to protect SV%/GAA. The downside to your opponent's strategy is he's all but punting SVs and has to have everything go perfect to get the other goalie stats.

Personally I'm a fan of simply setting a maximum weekly moves limit, to prevent all out streaming, from there its up to the individual managers as to whether they want to carry 1 goalie or 5.
    I see your point, LawMan. But it's not that simple by just dropping one of my goalies. Especially this week where are soo many games on tuesday, thursday and saturday. My opponet has many players on the odd days! So by dropping one or even two goalies Im still in bad spot. Its like to start the week on handicap -2,5 ....

BTW about that rule ''I do have a league where rosters lock after the regular season (no FA pick-ups period in playoffs) which makes teams have to consider the entire run instead of day to day grabs which is a decent strategy.''

What happens when a player or two get injured? In this case can you pick a FA player?
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Why are you stuck with 3 goalies? I reread you original post and don't see anything about locking lineups?

Im confused. Doesn't take much tho
    damn.... it's a strategy BUT the frustrating part is the lock element - I'm stuck in with 3 goalies..

the LUCK element I meant... that's why you are confused

Im saying that its a lot easier for someone who already has more players to risk and use 1 transaction for a goalie... If it was the oposite - that's different story.

Its hard to play against someone who has many players on the odd days and can easily stream for goalies. Its not a strategy its due to lucky surcupstensas..
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Sage

I don't know. Personally I've been looking analysing final weeks schedules and strategies for months. And I'm in a weekly set it and forget it league. If I could stream daily I'd have prepped way more for these weeks, which would include players that play on off days. I'd call what he's doing strategy (unless he's an absent gm that didn't do anything all season but it doesn't sound like it).
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Superstar

I see your point, LawMan. But it's not that simple by just dropping one of my goalies. Especially this week where are soo many games on tuesday, thursday and saturday. My opponet has many players on the odd days! So by dropping one or even two goalies Im still in bad spot. Its like to start the week on handicap -2,5 ....

BTW about that rule ''I do have a league where rosters lock after the regular season (no FA pick-ups period in playoffs) which makes teams have to consider the entire run instead of day to day grabs which is a decent strategy.''

What happens when a player or two get injured? In this case can you pick a FA player?
    Why not??? Do you have a limit to the number of moves you can make each week? If not I would cut one of Helly/Vasi loose and stream a new player every night.
    If you do have a limit I'd still be tempted to drop a goalie and add a guy whose going to play Wednesday/Friday.
    You're basically saying that all 3 of your goalies are undroppable and then complaining that you're using more roster spots on goalies then your opponent.

You keep saying the "lock element" what does that mean, your opponent picked up a player yesterday so clearly you have in-matchup moves available.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Why not??? Do you have a limit to the number of moves you can make each week? If not I would cut one of Helly/Vasi loose and stream a new player every night.
    If you do have a limit I'd still be tempted to drop a goalie and add a guy whose going to play Wednesday/Friday.
    You're basically saying that all 3 of your goalies are undroppable and then complaining that you're using more roster spots on goalies then your opponent.

You keep saying the "lock element" what does that mean, your opponent picked up a player yesterday so clearly you have in-matchup moves available.
    We have 7 transactions per week. My signature is not updated so my goalies before the start of this week were Price Vasilevskiy and Halak. Because I knew that my opponent has more players this week
    I made 3 moves on monday to keep up with him.

I dropped Cizikas(out) for Boyle(my luck - he was injured on tuesday)
    I dropped Preason(3 games) for M.Foligno( 4 games, 2 of them on the odd days monday and wednesday)
    I dropped Provorov(3 games) for Stralman(4 games one on friday)
    there is not much I can do. The streaming for 2-3 more goalies will help him big time.

So there's no point dropping Halak because we are so close on Saves category and hes leading in Wins categori 2-1 ... if I drop a goalie later in the week I most definitely will need to pick one!
    There are not many good options on the odd days ... My point was about the streaming.
    For the record - Im not angry at my opponent. Im not bitter because he is leading 8-6 right now and he has the luck because his players are playing on the odd days.. its all about the streaming
    and I don't like it. So there is an option to chance that for the next season - great

But what happens when a player or two get injured in the playoffs? In this case can you pick a FA player?
    Devils & Predators fan

The Wolverine

We have 7 transactions per week. My signature is not updated so my goalies before the start of this week were Price Vasilevskiy and Halak. Because I knew that my opponent has more players this week
    I made 3 moves on monday to keep up with him.

I dropped Cizikas(out) for Boyle(my luck - he was injured on tuesday)
    I dropped Preason(3 games) for M.Foligno( 4 games, 2 of them on the odd days monday and wednesday)
    I dropped Provorov(3 games) for Stralman(4 games one on friday)
    there is not much I can do. The streaming for 2-3 more goalies will help him big time.

So there's no point dropping Halak because we are so close on Saves category and hes leading in Wins categori 2-1 ... if I drop a goalie later in the week I most definitely will need to pick one!
    There are not many good options on the odd days ... My point was about the streaming.
    For the record - Im not angry at my opponent. Im not bitter because he is leading 8-6 right now and he has the luck because his players are playing on the odd days.. its all about the streaming
    and I don't like it. So there is an option to chance that for the next season - great

But what happens when a player or two get injured in the playoffs? In this case can you pick a FA player?
    You can cut down the number of transactions per week, to 2 or 3. Your opponent is playing to the rules, and whether it's luck or strategic to have players playing on off days, it's working out for him. If I were in that league and saw there were 11 forward categories to 4 goalie ones, plus a transaction limit of 7, I'd recognise the advantage of having extra skaters as well. Especially if the minimum number of goalie appearances was low enough. Lesson learned and hope you have good luck trying to overcome the perceived advantage.

As an aside, I don't like a rule that freezes transactions during the playoffs. Managers need flexibility in case of injury (shouldn't change from regular season to playoffs IMO), so if the limit is low enough (and consistent all season), then that would be fine.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    You can cut down the number of transactions per week, to 2 or 3. Your opponent is playing to the rules, and whether it's luck or strategic to have players playing on off days, it's working out for him. If I were in that league and saw there were 11 forward categories to 4 goalie ones, plus a transaction limit of 7, I'd recognise the advantage of having extra skaters as well. Especially if the minimum number of goalie appearances was low enough. Lesson learned and hope you have good luck trying to overcome the perceived advantage.

As an aside, I don't like a rule that freezes transactions during the playoffs. Managers need flexibility in case of injury (shouldn't change from regular season to playoffs IMO), so if the limit is low enough (and consistent all season), then that would be fine.
    Thanks, horrorfan.

... the strategic and the luck part aside... its just the schedule
    example - on tuesday I had 19 skaters playing( we can start 18, 12 F, 6 D) I was forced to left 1 on the bench. He has 17 skaters on tuesday but on monday it was 6-3 for him. Today its 5-1 for him...
    just a favorable schedule. That's it

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Actually i don't like it too IF there is no option to pick a FA if one of your players get injured.
    ..So for the next season we will reduce the transaction from 7 to 5. I guess that would solve the problems partially.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again to all of you! I will give you Rep tomorrow because - ''You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.''
    Devils & Predators fan