Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Streaming for goalies Rule?!?

The Great One

Default Re: Streaming for goalies Rule?!?

I haven't read all this thread, but one thing that jumps out at me is your comment about how your opponent has an advantage because he has a lot of players playing on the off nights in the finals. That may not be luck. He may have looked at the schedule, in advance, and starting adding players, in anticipation of this week. He may also have drafted players with a playoff schedule in mind. That's not uncommon.

I know in my semi finals matchup, I was winning by a mile so I used my 3 waiver wire adds to get players for the championship week who had great off night schedules. And it paid off, barely.

It might not be luck.

And I still don't understand why you'd keep three goalies. Drop one and pick up some players with off night schedules. That just seems so logical. Presumably you can't even use 3 goalies if they are all playing on the same nights...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

You just have different strategies. In my main league we count W L SV% GAA SO, so it doesn't make sense to carry three goalies. If I've got my top goalie with 4 starts in a playoff week (assuming 3 start minimum) and I think my skater categories might be close, I'll often drop my second goalie to maximize my skater games and punt Wins.

I don't understand trying to find a way to change your league rules for next year so that his strategy won't work. I mean, he could just as easily be here complaining about how unfair it is that he is facing a guy with three goalies and that he is at an unfair goalie start disadvantage.

Dobber Sports Immortal

You can't put the strategic part aside. League setup is the most important thing about building a team. That's where the strategy comes in. I get you don't like the LUCK element but every h2h league is probably 60 % skill and 40% luck.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I haven't read all this thread, but one thing that jumps out at me is your comment about how your opponent has an advantage because he has a lot of players playing on the off nights in the finals. That may not be luck. He may have looked at the schedule, in advance, and starting adding players, in anticipation of this week. He may also have drafted players with a playoff schedule in mind. That's not uncommon.
    Yea, I said the same thing yesterday -
    ''... the strategic and the luck part aside... its just the schedule
    example - on tuesday I had 19 skaters playing( we can start 18, 12 F, 6 D) I was forced to left 1 on the bench. He has 17 skaters on tuesday but on monday it was 6-3 for him. Today its 5-1 for him...
    just a favorable schedule. That's it ''

That may not be luck. He may have looked at the schedule, in advance, and starting adding players, in anticipation of this week.
    That's not the case. I know the guy... it just happened that he has players like Stepan, Kreider ..etc - not a FA caliber that he added because that's his strategy.

And I still don't understand why you'd keep three goalies. Drop one and pick up some players with off night schedules. That just seems so logical. Presumably you can't even use 3 goalies if they are all playing on the same nights...
    We have Saves category and because I have 3 goalies Im leading in the category 84-54. I most definitely will drop one or even two goalies on the weekend when I will decide which categories to target
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Swels Stewart View Post
    I don't understand trying to find a way to change your league rules for next year so that his strategy won't work. I mean, he could just as easily be here complaining about how unfair it is that he is facing a guy with three goalies and that he is at an unfair goalie start disadvantage.
    Again, it's not a strategy. He drafted Dubnyk and Varlamov(we all know what happened to him) then he picked up guys like Condon, then Reimer, then in the last two weeks he ended up only with Dubnyk.
    Its not his fault , its not his strategy. It happened that way...
    I'm not complaining. But because of that particular case I started wondering how streaming for goalies in a league with 7 transactions per week can be a huge adventage for you! Even though on the start of a week you may have only 1 average goalie and your opponent might have
    3 strong goalies.

So I'm thinking that reducing the transactions from 7 to 5 or 4 will be a good thing.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by j0hn_d0e View Post
    Again, it's not a strategy. He drafted Dubnyk and Varlamov(we all know what happened to him) then he picked up guys like Condon, then Reimer, then in the last two weeks he ended up only with Dubnyk.
    Its not his fault , its not his strategy. It happened that way...
    I'm not complaining. But because of that particular case I started wondering how streaming for goalies in a league with 7 transactions per week can be a huge adventage for you! Even though on the start of a week you may have only 1 average goalie and your opponent might have
    3 strong goalies.

So I'm thinking that reducing the transactions from 7 to 5 or 4 will be a good thing.
    Reducing transactions would help.

But yes it's a strategy! Strategies develop as things in your league unfold. And while it can be an advantage, there are also major risks! See Scott Darling vs Colorado the other night.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I've been known to stream goalies--especially if goalies score higher points than skaters in your league. It's not something I'd do all year because of the hassle of it, but over the course of a certain matchup (or playoff) I think it's a great strategy.
    Yahoo, 1 yr, 10-team, H2H Pts
    G 5, A 2.5, +/- 0.25, SOG 0.5, PPG 1.7, PPA 0.85, SHG 3.4, SHA 1.7, PIM -0.7, HIT 1, BLK 1, GWG 2, FOW .5, FOL -0.2
    GS 1, W 5, L -2, GA -1.15, SA 0.10, SV 0.45, SO 2.5

C (2): O'Reilly, Kopitar
    LW (2): Draisatl, B Tkachuk
    RW (2): Stamkos, J Miller
    D (3): Nurse, Pulock, Risto
    Bench: Horvat, Glendening, Parayko, Seguin (IR)
    G: Shesterkin, Blackwood, Koskinen

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Reducing transactions would help.

But yes it's a strategy! Strategies develop as things in your league unfold. And while it can be an advantage, there are also major risks! See Scott Darling vs Colorado the other night.
    Yea, I understand that. The risk is there. But in this case is not a strategy because I know the guy. We chat everyday He was worryed for the past 2 months because he has only Dubnyk.
    Again, just happened that way. In this week where is looking great for him to have only 1 goalie versus me with 3

So reducing transactions is the right think to do
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mwojt21 View Post
    I've been known to stream goalies--especially if goalies score higher points than skaters in your league. It's not something I'd do all year because of the hassle of it, but over the course of a certain matchup (or playoff) I think it's a great strategy.
    I agree with you. I'm trying just to find the best rules for the next year. To find where the holes are and fix them. Im considering to change the transactions from 7 to 5 or 4, to remove GWG an maybe SHP too and add Points category(is it too much to have these 3 categories G, A and Points)??
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Genius

EDIT - deleted
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"