Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: NHL players will NOT play in 2018 Winter Olympics

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: NHL players will NOT play in 2018 Winter Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I am actually completely fine with NHL players skipping the Olympics. The games are supposed to be for amateur athletes anyway, even if they are for "amateur" athletes now.
    So, I'm guessing all players from the NWHL shouldn't be playing at the olympics?

I would love to see the NHL try and go after Ovie (through Leonsis) for some kind of silly breach of contract. I mean, breaches of contract happen all the time in sports.. players hold out.. etc.. it's by no means precedent-setting.

I look forward to seeing this all go down in a few months. Very entertaining.
    This is the lawyer in you talking
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    So, I'm guessing all players from the NWHL shouldn't be playing at the olympics?

This is the lawyer in you talking
    You are right on both counts hahahahaha
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Wizard

I am actually completely fine with NHL players skipping the Olympics. The games are supposed to be for amateur athletes anyway, even if they are for "amateur" athletes now. I know I'll enjoy cheering on some Canadian rando players and it will make the experience all that more enjoyable. They will be so into it, there will be less pressure overall (even if there will be tonnes) and some new faces will gain a tonne of exposure and maybe some NHL tryouts (or even contracts) out of it.
    The Olympics have been for the top professionals as far as I can remember, it hasn't been for amateurs in a long time. At least the sports I've been watching and following, although I think there are some exceptions like boxing I think.

Even if we remove NHL players from there, then the hockey teams will be filled with players from professional European leagues. It just becomes more like the World Championship tournament, so what's the point of even having hockey in the Olympics then.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I am actually completely fine with NHL players skipping the Olympics. The games are supposed to be for amateur athletes anyway, even if they are for "amateur" athletes now. I know I'll enjoy cheering on some Canadian rando players and it will make the experience all that more enjoyable. They will be so into it, there will be less pressure overall (even if there will be tonnes) and some new faces will gain a tonne of exposure and maybe some NHL tryouts (or even contracts) out of it.

I would love to see the NHL try and go after Ovie (through Leonsis) for some kind of silly breach of contract. I mean, breaches of contract happen all the time in sports.. players hold out.. etc.. it's by no means precedent-setting.

I look forward to seeing this all go down in a few months. Very entertaining.
    What qualifies as "amateur". I'm not a single US or Chinese athlete could be considered amateur. How much do you think Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt or Shaun White makes?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    What qualifies as "amateur". I'm not a single US or Chinese athlete could be considered amateur. How much do you think Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt or Shaun White makes?
    Endorsement money is totally different than earning a salary for your profession. Come on, even you know this.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Endorsement money is totally different than earning a salary for your profession. Come on, even you know this.
    Where did I say they weren't different? I said what's the line between amateur and professional. If your profession earns you in the millions of dollars, whether through salary or endorsements, can you really be considered amateur? Bolt and Phelps also earn a lot of money just by winning circuits. Shaun White is paid by Red Bull to snowboard (not an endorsement, it's his job to explore and develop new tracks). I'm just saying what's the line. There certainly are a lot of "amateur" athletes still in the Olympics, but you can be sure that there are more "professionals" than those coming from organized sports leagues.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Those guys definitely get more than just endorsement money. Take Usain Bolt for example. http://nordic.businessinsider.com/ho...16-8?r=US&IR=T

Bolt earned $2.5 million in prize money and appearance fees in the past 12 months, according to Forbes.