Thread: The Return of the Expos??!!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default The Return of the Expos??!!

I did a quick search, didn't see a similar thread.. Looks like MLB is returning to Montreal, just a matter of when and if it'll be a relocation or expansion team

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/return-of...ball-1.3346183

A slightly more pessimistic report:
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...tadium-issues/

I don't think the issue was ever the fans or support. It was the stadium and its horrible location.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: The Return of the Expos??!!

That would be awesome. The more pinstripes the better

Dobber Sports Titan

10yrs away minimum. they need a stadium, and a team to buy or another city to open up another MLB team because no way will the MLB have 31 teams.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    10yrs away minimum. they need a stadium, and a team to buy or another city to open up another MLB team because no way will the MLB have 31 teams.
    In Montreal, the current buzz (as per usual) is the Habs but lately, the Expos have been giving them a run for their money.

Local radio shows keep spitting out the same messages of ''there's a group of investor that are ready to bring the team back... it's a matter of where the stadium will be and blah blah blah''.

I loved the Expos as a kid, going to the games and just enjoying my time at the Olympic Stadium - I was a bigger fan of Youppi than the Spos if I recall but whatever

Anyways, my issue here, like the idea of bringing back the Nordiques is that the business model will probably not work. ''Fans'' are all on-board with the project and have ''loved the Expos since they were kids'' but in the end, IF the ''fans'' are not willing to try to fill up the stadium on most of the 80+ home games, they can forget about it. It's all rosy and nice until you have to take out your wallet IMO.

Ironically, the Montreal Impact (MLS) plays a few yards away from where The Expos used to play and Joey Saputo was able to make that project feasible. The only thing is that the stadium capacity is 20K and there's about 20 home games with an average ticket price of $45...

I'm all for the Expos coming back, but I fear that many of the so-called fans won't pony up in the long run, which would just bring us back to the situation that they faced in 2004.

It's hard to fully gauge because some say that one of the main issues with the Expos was the stadium's location in the East-End of town rather than in the heart of Downtown Montreal like where the Habs play. But as I said, the Impact are having doing well where they are. On the flip side, the Alouettes are not doing as well as they could and they are just a few minutes away from the Bell Centre...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Master

The one major league baseball game I saw was at Olympic stadium in the late 90's. The Expos were playing a crossover game against the New York Yankees. If I remember correctly, it went done to the wire, and the Spos won in the 9th. Great atmosphere, great fans but the stadium needed a huge upgrade.

Would be nice to see a second team in Canada again, but I'm sure it will be a few years yet if at all.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy