Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Matthew Tkachuk - The Old School Warrior

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Matthew Tkachuk - The Old School Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    I don't know. An elbow like that isn't a hockey play, he's not attempting to throw a hit or anything, he's aiming to injure a fellow player. And with what people know about concussions these days and how long they can knock someone out of the game for, that's just a dirty play and it's hard to get behind someone like that.
    doughty isnt a saint himself. he hit dough boy high and served his 2 games and answered the bell and was willing to fight anyone and has no fear. that is a real man and he is no wimp. id love to shake this warriors hand. not saying the hit on doughty was right but the way he conducted himself afterwards is what i respect. doughty not so much but like another poster said in a previous post it makes for good tv

Dobber Sports Jedi

Well... if Malkin was willing to fight Wheeler... Tkachuk had no choice but to drop the gloves and stand up for himself. The path was laid before him.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    doughty isnt a saint himself. he hit dough boy high and served his 2 games and answered the bell and was willing to fight anyone and has no fear. that is a real man and he is no wimp. id love to shake this warriors hand. not saying the hit on doughty was right but the way he conducted himself afterwards is what i respect. doughty not so much but like another poster said in a previous post it makes for good tv
    So you condone a deliberate attempt to injure an unsuspecting opponent outside the rules of the game as long as they are willing to fight and serve their suspension afterwards? I can't say I agree with that perspective.

The game has changed. Concussions have long and lasting effects that are well known today, decreasing quality of life and potentially shortening it. There is a degree of risk associated with the game when it comes to throwing legal (or legalish) bodychecks, but an elbow to the head/face like that? There's no defending it, regardless of how the player acts afterwards. I don't understand celebrating that type of behaviour.

Dobber Sports Star

I definitely lost respect for Doughty after watching that game.

If you have a problem with someone, take care of it yourself. It was pathetic to see Doughty stand by and watch as a parade of his teammates went after Tkachuk. This isn't John Scott we're talking about here, it's a little 19 year old kid!

If that wasn't enough, he laid a real greasy crosscheck on Tkachuk behind the play, and turtled like a coward to avoid a neutral zone hit by Tkachuk. Two dangerous plays, to which he clearly wasn't willing to answer for. Gutless.

Dobber Sports Monster

So you condone a deliberate attempt to injure as long as they are willing to fight and serve their suspension afterwards? I can't say I agree with that perspective.

The game has changed. Concussions have long and lasting effects that are well known today, decreasing quality of life and potentially shortening it. There is a degree of risk associated with the game when it comes to throwing legal (or legalish) bodychecks, but an elbow to the head/face like that? There's no defending it, regardless of how the player acts afterwards. I don't understand celebrating that type of behaviour.
    That is where you are completely wrong. I never said the ELBOW to Doughty's dome was acceptable. I said he did what he did and served his suspension and the next game he went right in Doughty's face and told him he wasn't afraid of him and never backed down from anyone. That is a real player right there. He did wrong but he answered every bell and was willing to fight anyone.

Le'ts not pretend like Doughty is a saint himself
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zrZwHLWVAE

Dobber Sports Wizard

That is where you are completely wrong. I never said the ELBOW to Doughty's dome was acceptable. I said he did what he did and served his suspension and the next game he went right in Doughty's face and told him he wasn't afraid of him and never backed down from anyone. That is a real player right there. He did wrong but he answered every bell and was willing to fight anyone.
    You need new heroes in your life. Maybe read a book or something?

I'm not saying Doughty is a saint or that Tkachuk isn't a solid player. But idolizing someone because they're willing to fight just isn't worth it. Bums fight for a few dollars, it doesn't mean they're the heroes of the world.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Bums fight for a few dollars, it doesn't mean they're the heroes of the world.
    This.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Superstar

Le'ts not pretend like Doughty is a saint himself
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zrZwHLWVAE
    Why does everyone keep bringing up Doughty? Doughty has nothing to do with this. I don't care if he elbowed Doughty or if he elbowed Joe Schmo. It was a dirty play that has no place in the game in this day and age.

I am all for celebrating his gritty play and hard nosed style, but you have to keep it within the rules. Go agitate, go throw your big hits and go stand up to anyone that comes your way. I love that style as well. But I will not celebrate a guy who plays like that while also deliberately attempting to injure with clearly illegal plays. You lose a ton of credibility to me and I don't want to see that in the game.

To me he's a Marchand or Pronger right now. I really hope he takes that aspect out of his game, because then he would approach more of an Iginla or Smyth level, who are revered.

The Great One

Why does everyone keep bringing up Doughty? Doughty has nothing to do with this. I don't care if he elbowed Doughty or if he elbowed Joe Schmo. It was a dirty play that has no place in the game in this day and age.
    Agreed.

I don't think he laid the elbow on purposes though. It was being overly aggressive while trying to protect the puck on the boards. It's pretty much what they teach you to win those battles.

What Im saying is I don't think he elbowed his face on purpose. If you watch the video Doughty kinda reaches in to intercept the puck at the same time he tries to elbow him for better position. Suspension worthy, yes. Served his time but I dont think there was intent to injure. Just my 5 cents, since pennies are no more.

Dobber Sports Titan

Don’t like him, don’t like how he called out Doughty, don’t like what he did with Doughty, don’t like the slew foot he pulled on Andersen after the game was done. He’s a slimmer (more skilled) Lucic to me right now.

Fantasy he’s done well. I would just not be fond of the stuff he’s pulled if I was a Flame.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Not Andersen but Marincin instead.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Not Andersen but Marincin instead.
    Yes you’re right, Andersen gave him a blocker because it was like right in the crease. But so far away from the puck, end of the game, unneeded.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Some people are just haters and are going to hate Tkachuk because of the team he plays for. That's just how some people roll. They'll find things to nitpick that don't really make sense because they're haters.

I disagree about future captain though. He needs to play on the edge and be a little undisciplined, and that's a bad example for a captain to set.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I am all for celebrating his gritty play and hard nosed style, but you have to keep it within the rules. Go agitate, go throw your big hits and go stand up to anyone that comes your way. I love that style as well. But I will not celebrate a guy who plays like that while also deliberately attempting to injure with clearly illegal plays. You lose a ton of credibility to me and I don't want to see that in the game.

To me he's a Marchand or Pronger right now. I really hope he takes that aspect out of his game, because then he would approach more of an Iginla or Smyth level, who are revered.
    2 things:

1) Quite a big stretch to call that elbow a deliberate attempt to injure. It was a deliberate attempt to create space, but it wasn't overly hard, vicious, or violent. Dirty? Sure. Deliberate attempt to injure? No.

2) Smyth and Iginla were nowhere close to the same type of player, and don't belong in the same conversation, both from a stylistic point of view and a reputation one.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Meh, I'm good with Tkachuk playing his brash, sometimes dirty play as long as he backs it up - which he's definitely done. If opposing players don't like the way he plays, then they should do something about it. I'm an Oiler fan, so I'm sure I'll be pissed at Tkachuk at some point soon, but as long as he answers the bell for his actions, I will respect his right to be an abrasive player. Teams win with these kinds of players, as long as they don't get carried away with penalties (or the refs penalize them on reputation).
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket