Thread: Keeper Decision

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Keeper Decision

G A P PPP SOG +/- PIM

Can only keep 2 out of these 3

Mantha
    Toffoli
    Guentzel

I really like Toffoli as a player but he's been a bit off this year, also missed some time due to injury. He scored 31 goals last year so it would be tough to let him go, but kind of leaning towards keeping Mantha and Guentzel.

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Keeper Decision

Really tough to let go of Toffoli especially with how much he shoots. Any way you can trade him off for something?
    I would also be thinking long and hard about keeping the two youngsters though.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Unfortunately can't make any more trades for this season. All non keepers dropped into the free agent pool for next years draft. I guess see how these guys do for the rest of the season (and Guentzel in playoffs). The thing with Toffoli is its just been a bad year overall for the Kings. You'd have to think a bounce back year would be in store next year. Tough decision indeed.

The Great One

Mantha scares me a bit. Yes, he's only 22, but on his way to 36 points in 59 games he has a somewhat unsustainably high 5x5 team shooting % and only 4 of his 16 assists at 5x5 were primary assists. Plus, Detroit could turn into a tire fire of a team unless others around him step up.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Mantha scares me a bit. Yes, he's only 22, but on his way to 36 points in 59 games he has a somewhat unsustainably high 5x5 team shooting % and only 4 of his 16 assists at 5x5 were primary assists. Plus, Detroit could turn into a tire fire of a team unless others around him step up.
    I have been trying to warn against Mantha all season. He plays too soft for his size and roll. The Hit numbers are lacking for a guy with his build and makeup.

He's a good goal scorer, but I think he lacks in the creativity department and also not a fan of his movement without the puck. His screening is meh.

Even if he eventually scores like 25 goals, I doubt his assist and other numbers will be good enough to make him more valuable than a guy like Eaves was this year.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
    I have been trying to warn against Mantha all season. He plays too soft for his size and roll. The Hit numbers are lacking for a guy with his build and makeup.
    He's a good goal scorer, but I think he lacks in the creativity department and also not a fan of his movement without the puck. His screening is meh.

Even if he eventually scores like 25 goals, I doubt his assist and other numbers will be good enough to make him more valuable than a guy like Eaves was this year.
    So were you afraid to roster someone like Joe Thornton for years too? Jumbo is 6'4, 220lbs but doesnt hit much at all considering his size. Does that make him someone you are afraid to use?

I think all three of these guys are excellent choices going forward. I wouldn't worry about Toffoli's down season too much. I would probably go with Toffoli and Guentzel here but it has nothing to do with being afraid of Mantha. It's more I prefer the players surrounding the other two going forward that will contribute to their success more.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."