Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stanley Cup Final that would generate the most revenue?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Stanley Cup Final that would generate the most revenue?

overall which matchup would generate the most revenue for the teams involved + the nhl?

Toronto Maple Leafs

vs

Chicago Blackhawks?

The Great One

Default Re: Stanley Cup Final that would generate the most revenue?

Toronto and New York Rangers IMO but that can't happen lol but Toronto Chicago isn't a bad shout (though I don't think they'd mind New York taking that Leaf spot)
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Master

Montreal vs. Toronto, but of course that cannot happen.

So, dealing with distinctly possible scenarios, I'll suggest Edmonton vs. Pittsburgh. The old guard (the Pens) against the new guard (McDavids Oilers). Kind of like the first time the Edmonton Oilers faced the mighty New York Islanders of the early 80's.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Titan

Leafs vs Chicago.
    Original 6
    Young team becoming a perennial contender vs the perennial contender
    Matthews/Marner vs Toews/Kane
    Both close to each other
    Both high market teams
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

Pittsburgh and Chicago

Toronto will not be a draw for American viewers. As a hockey fan, I would love but if the question is what brings in the most $$, it is two major American teams. Chicago/Washington, Chicago/New York, and Chicago/Boston would fit the bill too.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Pittsburgh and Chicago

Toronto will not be a draw for American viewers. As a hockey fan, I would love but if the question is what brings in the most $$, it is two major American teams. Chicago/Washington, Chicago/New York, and Chicago/Boston would fit the bill too.
    I think there's enough Leaf fans all over NA, and if it's USA vs Canada via NHL teams, i think a lot of Americans watch for CHicago. And we have seen the pull Canadians have when a Canadian team is the only Canadian team left in the playoffs via Montreal a few yrs ago.

But it's something we haven't seen since....Oilers were in the playoffs last?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Generate the most revenue - Toronto - Chicago

The one the NHL most wants... probably NYR and Chicago

Dobber Sports Sage

What ultimately generates the most revenue? Is it TV Ratings? How much more important is the TV ratings in the US vs Canada?
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    What ultimately generates the most revenue? Is it TV Ratings? How much more important is the TV ratings in the US vs Canada?
    It?s a bit hush hush on actual numbers I do believe, but back in 2010 I think, it came out that 6 canadian teams were responsible for 33% of the NHL revenue, and something like 31% of the ticket revenue in the NHL.

Canada, with the exchange rate too (helps a lot), drives the NHL. It wouldn?t be able to operate without Canada. Remember last yr when no Canadian teams were down and it stifled the cap raising what they wanted it to at the beginning of 2015? I?m not sure of the actual numbers, but if it was 2 Canadian Teams vs each other, it could have the potential to beat out some recent SC Finals viewing numbers.

Dobber Sports Deity

Montreal or Toronto being in the final would certainly be a big help/starter to generate revenue. As far as who they play, I'd also say Chicago.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It?s a bit hush hush on actual numbers I do believe, but back in 2010 I think, it came out that 6 canadian teams were responsible for 33% of the NHL revenue, and something like 31% of the ticket revenue in the NHL.

Canada, with the exchange rate too (helps a lot), drives the NHL. It wouldn?t be able to operate without Canada. Remember last yr when no Canadian teams were down and it stifled the cap raising what they wanted it to at the beginning of 2015? I?m not sure of the actual numbers, but if it was 2 Canadian Teams vs each other, it could have the potential to beat out some recent SC Finals viewing numbers.
    My understanding was that the Canadian dollar being down is what stifled the cap not because Canadian teams didn't make the playoffs.

While 2 Canadian teams in the Finals would generate crazy ratings in Canada it would get brutal ratings in the US. I cannot recall a single Canadian team broadcast on NBC Sports this season and this is because it kills their ratings. Looking at American ratings for past SCFs, the participant cities have CRAZY ratings but the rest of the country is not watching. So if you substitute a Canadian team (Toronto) for an American team that would have had extremely high ratings you are dramatically reducing the American ratings. And it doesn't matter that Toronto is an up and coming team and all the other facts that make Toronto an interesting watch. Pittsburgh and Washington are the only teams that might create some interest from other cities. I heard that a major problem with hockey ratings is that once a person's team is eliminated, they stop watching. I still watch but my guess is that most of us on this forum are not the usual hockey fans. And this goes for the US and Canada fans alike.

Dobber Sports Stud

here's a link that could really help answer this question:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanle...vision_ratings

a quick analysis shows that anything involving Chicago draws. Vancouver-boston in game 7 of the 2011 finals was the highest watched game in almost 40 years, but the rest of the series didn't put up great numbers. it drew so many viewers because it was the first game 7 since 2006 (which I might add had horrible numbers).
    I agree with daydream nation that a Canadian team won't drive the numbers up in America, and with the way the Canadian dollar is doing, viewership in Canada isn't anywhere near as important as it is in America.
    if you analyze the numbers further, you can also see that Pittsburgh doesn't bring in viewers either.
    rangers-kings in 2014 did really good numbers in games 1-3. better than any other series that didn't involve Chicago in recent memory. those are the two biggest markets, so that makes sense. and kings-devils did horrible numbers, so it wasn't just LA driving those numbers up, the rangers had a whole lot to do with it.
    i'd say rangers-blackhawks would easily be the finals that would generate most revenue. i'd be curious to see how Washington-Chicago would do, but I can't see it being better than with the rangers involved.

Administrator

Short-term TOR/CHI makes the most money but having one of the dead markets revived by a contending team makes the most difference in the long run.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Giant

Montreal vs LA next year could gather a lot of attention.
    They would make this whole 25 year renewed rivalry back-story... For those of you born after 93, the Habs beat the Kings to win their 24th cup in franchise history in 92-93. 25 years later, they can once again face to Kings to win their first cup in 25 years and also their 25th cup!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Ninja

Wouldn't an Arizona/Florida final be glorious? Plentiful fan bases and sunny destinations.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket