Thread: There are 2 Captainless NHL teams currently, where are the extras??

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default There are 2 Captainless NHL teams currently, where are the extras??

Carolina and Toronto are currently the two NHL teams who have a vacant captain position, both teams appear to have good options for the future. I think there are also several teams who are eying their next captain for when the current one sets sails for greener pastures or retirement. Which teams out there, though, have more than one suitable captain on their roster, a guy without a C who seems like he'd be a good captain on his own or multiple other NHL teams. I saw a picture of Victor Hedman embracing Yanni Gourde and Alex Killorn after a goal last night and I couldn't help but think that he would be an appropriate guy to fill the void were Stamkos to continue with his recent injury struggles or had he have left last offseason. Obviously I would imagine Eichel will be in line to step in once Gionta hangs them up in Buffalo. Matthews seems to be a lock in TO, though at the start of the season I thought a few (like Reilly) could give him a run for his money. Carolina has options in Faulk, Skinner and others if they'd prefer to wait.
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393

Default Re: There are 2 Captainless NHL teams currently, where are the extras??

My ***** placeholder was Yanni Gourde. Having issues editing past posts on this end.
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393

Florida, Arizona, Boston, Jersey, Colorado, Vancouver, Islanders and Detroit could all be in search through the next couple of years... My bets would be on Barkov, Domi/Keller, Bergeron, no idea in Jersey, Mackinnon, Horvat, Islanders would probably take a break to mourn the loss of Tavares if they had to, and in Detroit there are a few options.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I don't think captains carry the same weight that they used to. If a guy is a leader, he's going to be a leader whether he wears a C on his jersey or not. It's almost seems as if teams use it more for publicity these days than they do for actual leadership purposes. Someone they can market to the fan base.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    I don't think captains carry the same weight that they used to. If a guy is a leader, he's going to be a leader whether he wears a C on his jersey or not. It's almost seems as if teams use it more for publicity these days than they do for actual leadership purposes. Someone they can market to the fan base.
    Do you think it depends on the team, maybe? I imagine every room/team is different. In some cases the captain is probably much more than just another in a group leaders, but in others it likely is more of a committee thing, and the captain is simply the public face of the team.

Dobber Sports Giant

Toronto's captain will be Matthews (Kadri and maybe JVR may give him a run for his money but I think the kid gets the C nonetheless).

Carolina should go for J. Staal. Good veteran, has a cup, plays multiple roles on the team. Seems like a good fit to me.

Florida should have given Jagr a permanent letter this year... As for their C, I would see it (pun intended) on Yandle.

Boston will give (scratch that)... Big Z will give his C to the very deserving Bergeron.

Islanders will keep Tavares somehow so it will remain on him IMO.

New Jersey will acquire a veteran in his prime in the offseason and eventually slap the C on him for the long run. Cammers could have gotten it if he were less fragile.

Buffalo is Eichel's team down the road.

Colorado is MacK's team IMO but I'm OK with Landy for the time being.

Arizona will most likely name OEL the next captain.

Vancouver will probably go with Horvat after BO-lieving in him enough to trade Schneider for him.

Detroit will likely turn to Abdelkader or maybe Larkin if he's ready when Zetts hang's 'em up.

That's pretty much it for the near future ones (unless I'm forgetting any?)
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Toronto's captain will be Matthews (Kadri and maybe JVR may give him a run for his money but I think the kid gets the C nonetheless).

Carolina should go for J. Staal. Good veteran, has a cup, plays multiple roles on the team. Seems like a good fit to me.

Florida should have given Jagr a permanent letter this year... As for their C, I would see it (pun intended) on Yandle.

Boston will give (scratch that)... Big Z will give his C to the very deserving Bergeron.

Islanders will keep Tavares somehow so it will remain on him IMO.

New Jersey will acquire a veteran in his prime in the offseason and eventually slap the C on him for the long run. Cammers could have gotten it if he were less fragile.

Buffalo is Eichel's team down the road.

Colorado is MacK's team IMO but I'm OK with Landy for the time being.

Arizona will most likely name OEL the next captain.

Vancouver will probably go with Horvat after BO-lieving in him enough to trade Schneider for him.

Detroit will likely turn to Abdelkader or maybe Larkin if he's ready when Zetts hang's 'em up.

That's pretty much it for the near future ones (unless I'm forgetting any?)
    Nashville and Fisher, Getzlaf and Anaheim, and Mikko Koivu in Minny. Those are the oldest ones prolly after your listed ones. Paves maybe in SJS?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Nashville and Fisher, Getzlaf and Anaheim, and Mikko Koivu in Minny. Those are the oldest ones prolly after your listed ones. Paves maybe in SJS?
    Good call OG! I think all 4 of those are good for another 3-4 seasons at least; just the right amount of time to groom the next generation... I have no idea who their replacements could/would be though?! Care to take a stab at it?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Wizard

Sometimes it feels weird seeing players like Bergeron, Doughty and Suter without a 'C' on their chest since I think all of them deserve it but those teams already have great captains, so no reason to consider a change.

I think it will be Ekblad in Florida since they gave him that huge contract without him earning it. They have to make him the face of the franchise, and he's also a leader.

Is Matthews ready to take the 'C' next season already? He could be. Jordan Staal seems like the obvious choice in Carolina. Same with OEL in Arizona.

On the Devils, I think it will be Henrique unless he bolts before that.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Do you think it depends on the team, maybe? I imagine every room/team is different. In some cases the captain is probably much more than just another in a group leaders, but in others it likely is more of a committee thing, and the captain is simply the public face of the team.
    It very well may be, and your statement probably paints a better picture of what actually goes on vs my painting of the situation with a broader brush.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Good call OG! I think all 4 of those are good for another 3-4 seasons at least; just the right amount of time to groom the next generation... I have no idea who their replacements could/would be though?! Care to take a stab at it?
    I think it's just locker room presence for captains now. Nashville is hard because it could be Johansen, but he seems to check in and out. Maybe Neal? or Josi? Forsberg? Seems like it would be between Neal and Josi already carrying an A

Getzlaf is 31, so he's got years left, 4yrs on his current contract. The only people with contracts past them are Lindholm, Rackell, and Kesler. So the turn around could be huge for them by then. And at 23yrs old for Rackell and Lindholm, that's too early to judge Captaincy.

Mikko is 34 and next yr is his final yr on his contract. I'd say Suter is the easy choice.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll