Thread: About Scott Darling

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default About Scott Darling

I just noticed yesterday that his stats were among elite goaltenders. Even if he let 5 goals in yesterday.

I signed him since Crawford seems to strugle and I can feel a Murray/MAF situation in here.

Don't get me wrong I don't think I'll be able to use him for the rest of the season but I think his value could raise during the summer. Especially sice he could get traded, I mean his contract is expired after this season.

Where do you think he ends up? If he resigns in CHI, does Crawford gets moved? Also how much $ for how long?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: About Scott Darling

I think that Greiss 3 x $3.333 contract could be a good benchmark if, in fact, they are looking to move Crawford.

The fact is, Chicago needs to move salary. Panarin is seeing a raise of over $5 million, alone. Do they move a Seabrook (can they move a Seabrook might be the better question)? Does Hossa retire? Possibly and unlikely.

That does leave Crawford as an obvious option.

Las Vegas is also looming in the background.

A whole lot of variables right now, none of which any of us can really make an educated guess about.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I doubt Crawford goes anywhere, they trust him in Chicago.

Darling is UFA in the summer and probably goes somewhere where he can be a 1A/1B goalie instead of a pure backup. I don't think there's room for him to be a starter next season when Fleury and Bishop are in the market as well.

Yeah you might be right. It's weird cause his stats are as good if not better than Crawford. Fleury and Bishop are expensive though, Crawford as well.

Dobber Sports Deity

I can see Vegas taking a shot with Darling, hoping they get another Talbot type goalie that the Oilers got.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Overated Veteran View Post
    Yeah you might be right. It's weird cause his stats are as good if not better than Crawford. Fleury and Bishop are expensive though, Crawford as well.
    Posting good stats as a backup is much easier to do than doing it as the starter. Playing 50+ or even 60+ games in a season is definitely not easy for goalies. Some backups can transition to being starters but some of them stay as backups forever.

Fleury, Bishop and Crawford are expensive because they've proven themselves as starters.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    I think that Greiss 3 x $3.333 contract could be a good benchmark if, in fact, they are looking to move Crawford.

The fact is, Chicago needs to move salary. Panarin is seeing a raise of over $5 million, alone. Do they move a Seabrook (can they move a Seabrook might be the better question)? Does Hossa retire? Possibly and unlikely.

A whole lot of variables right now, none of which any of us can really make an educated guess about.
    This seems to me to be clinically rational, in the same way the Red Wings used to win cups with great skaters and "good enough" (*cough* Chris Osgood *cough*) goalies. They've shown themselves willing to move high-performing talent that is the most replaceable in the face of a cap crunch in the past with Niemi, Ladd, Byfuglien, Saad all leaving. It seems to me that in the Bowman (Scotty or Stan?!?) approach to teambuilding, goal is the position where the step down to the cheaper replacement player is the smallest.

For that reason, I think Darling is one of the best offseason speculative bets out there.

Dobber Sports Stud

It wasn't long ago that Ray Emery posted elite numbers as the backup in Chicago. Philly signed him the following season expecting him to compete for a starting gig and quickly found out that he still sucked. They're different players (Darling being less of a headcase) but I'm not convinced Darling is good enough to be a number 1 goalie for any length of time.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    This seems to me to be clinically rational, in the same way the Red Wings used to win cups with great skaters and "good enough" (*cough* Chris Osgood *cough*) goalies. They've shown themselves willing to move high-performing talent that is the most replaceable in the face of a cap crunch in the past with Niemi, Ladd, Byfuglien, Saad all leaving. It seems to me that in the Bowman (Scotty or Stan?!?) approach to teambuilding, goal is the position where the step down to the cheaper replacement player is the smallest.

For that reason, I think Darling is one of the best offseason speculative bets out there.
    Yeah that's why I signed him. Worst case scenario I drop him and best case I keep him over Shea Theodore/Deangelo. I'm not expecting much but I think we could all be surprised. Even in the playoffs

Yeah that's why I signed him. Worst case scenario I drop him and best case I keep him over Shea Theodore/Deangelo. I'm not expecting much but I think we could all be surprised

Quote Originally Posted by SergeP View Post
    It wasn't long ago that Ray Emery posted elite numbers as the backup in Chicago. Philly signed him the following season expecting him to compete for a starting gig and quickly found out that he still sucked. They're different players (Darling being less of a headcase) but I'm not convinced Darling is good enough to be a number 1 goalie for any length of time.
    It's still weird that he never had a chance at 28 years old. Cam talbot is one hell of a goalie right now and he's 29 years old. I sure hope he's closer to Talbot than he is to Emery.

Dobber Sports Ace

And that adds to my thinking: the Blackhawks win in 2010 with Niemi (a total unknown) and in 2013 with Crawford (a relatively unproven guy up until that point, although he did have that very strong first round playoff series against the Canucks from the year before, I believe.... Which, I suppose, you can say about Darling with Nashville last year).

I think that if they can keep the core together, and maintain a very strong to 4 D, they should be able to make a run with Darling. He's definitely a great speculative add; especially in a salary cap league.

The Great One

Re the emergence of Darling it's worth noting he battled some serious demons to begin his career (there is a really interesting article about it somewhere) but basically he became a recluse and an alcoholic before turning into the person he is today.

id love to see him split duties in Vegas with Raanta/Grubauer as I'd like to see him as a 1a/b for a full season. Hawks will make the moves they need to even if it means losing a young player - is that why so many seem to be showcased right now? - but I still think it is Seabrook that's moved unless Calgary or Carolina can tempt them to move Crawford
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post

Panarin is signed for $6 M per for the next 2 seasons. The Hawks will trade Kruger and with the salary cap going up to 75-76 M the Hawks will not have to move any big names. Campbell probably won't be back and if Panik wants too much he'll be moved too.

In terms of Darling, I am a fan of his game and I think he can be a starter in the league.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Monster

LeBrun said a few weeks ago that Carolina and Dallas will show interest if he makes it to the FA market.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry