Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dylan Strome v Clayton Keller

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Dylan Strome v Clayton Keller

Keller for me.. But with 4 keepers the real answer for me is neither...
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
    It is. I'm not a huge fan. For the NHL I actually prefer Ryan Strome. I could be wrong and Dylan could always improve other aspects of his game. But we've seen better players bust.
    For all we know, this statement could fit Keller too. As I mentioned earlier, none of us truly know how this will play out. I certainly trust the pro scouts who draft these kids where they draft them (obviously both were drafted extremely high and early) that both kids project to be solid NHL players over opinions made here until the kids prove them wrong.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

I think it's a bit of a guessing game, but no question as of today I'd want to gamble on Keller over Strome. And I don't doubt Strome will be a really good NHLer. He might lack some flash but he's a really smart player.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    For all we know, this statement could fit Keller too. As I mentioned earlier, none of us truly know how this will play out. I certainly trust the pro scouts who draft these kids where they draft them (obviously both were drafted extremely high and early) that both kids project to be solid NHL players over opinions made here until the kids prove them wrong.
    For all we know? Not at all. I completely disagree with that assessment. We aren't blind guessing. We have plenty of research and performance to go on. We have plenty of game reels and highlights to watch. To suggest it's all equal I think is just incorrect.

And no I don't believe the same can be said about Keller. Keller looks to have a far more complete game and as many attributes that simply should allow him greater access to minutes. And if you don't get minutes you cant perform.

That's only one aspect of their game though.

And some scouts are better than others. Some scouts are probably poor at their jobs. They have to be. In fact, there are numerous individuals on this forum and perhaps Dobber himself, that have a far greater eye for talent than MANY pro prospects. To assume that Scout A liking Player B is equal to Scout B liking player A would be absolutely faulty. Not all perspectives are worth the same. That kind of relativistic equality doesn't fly in the real world.

And to go even further, you quite often hear scouts and GMs talk about gambles. Well, every prospect is a gamble to whatever extent. But each player has their own specific set of odds. Meaning not all players are equal gamble. Which makes perfect sense because not all players are equal.

If I were to say to you that "the same can be said" about Jack Eichel as Troy Terry, drafted in the 5th round, what would you say? There's a reason Terry was drafted in the 5th round. Does that mean he couldn't become a Star like Jaime Benn did ? No. It just means he was a much greater gamble. And as far as I can tell, Dylan Strome is a much greater gamble than Keller. Just because they were drafted in close proximity, doesn't mean that distance hasn't been created since the draft. That sentiment seems to be the consensus . Which in turn means, Strome stands a greater chance of busting.

Does that mean he will? Absolutely not. He could surpass Keller. But its completely different odds.

So no, we don't know the future. But we make educated guesses. Your perspective on prospects seems to be very passive, which is fine. But that doesn't help you on draft day in a dynasty league.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Deity

You are assuming that Strome will be a BUST (your words) and Keller will flourish. Do tell me why you see this (based on all the "game reel and highlights" you've seen) in your best scouting opinion. What is this "complete game" that you see from (in highlights I might add) from Keller that you haven't seen from Strome (in highlights) and what is it you see in Strome's game that makes you think he will be a bust?

The same team drafted these kids and the same scouts probably scouted both of them. How can you say some scouts are better than others when we are most likely talking about the exact same scout, and most certainly the same head scout he is making his recommendations to the GM on the draft floor on both of these kids.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I think it's a bit of a guessing game, but no question as of today I'd want to gamble on Keller over Strome. And I don't doubt Strome will be a really good NHLer. He might lack some flash but he's a really smart player.
    You are assuming that Strome will be a BUST (your words) and Keller will flourish. Do tell me why you see this (based on all the "game reel and highlights" you've seen) in your best scouting opinion. What is this "complete game" that you see from (in highlights I might add) from Keller that you haven't seen from Strome (in highlights) and what is it you see in Strome's game that makes you think he will be a bust?

The same team drafted these kids and the same scouts probably scouted both of them. How can you say some scouts are better than others when we are most likely talking about the exact same scout, and most certainly the same head scout he is making his recommendations to the GM on the draft floor on both of these kids.
    I all ready wrote why. And I have no idea. But I would think it weird if just one scout from a team looked at any given player. I'm sure there are more. I dont think you are punching holes in anything. I didn't say he would bust. I don't think you get it. You seem to be making the assumptions. I was just talking about perceiving odds and quantifying talent.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri

Dobber Sports Deity

Exactly. I think Strome has BUST written all over him. I don't think Keller will fail.
    You seem pretty confident here that you see Strome as a bust but whatever. The proof will be in the pudding when they both get there. I personally like both kids, long term.

Dobber Sports Ace

You seem pretty confident here that you see Strome as a bust but whatever. The proof will be in the pudding when they both get there. I personally like both kids, long term.
    No. I'm not confident he will be a bust. I am confident that I don't like his chances as much as Keller. Those are two very different things.

I'm not sure what the issue is really. Every time someone writes or reads a prospect ranking, every dynasty and keeper draft, every single season draft for that matter, they are doing what I'm describing and discriminating between players. To do that anyone must projec, and make predictions. The difference in perspective is the entire foundation behind fantasy sports.

That's literally the process we undertake playing fantasy sports. So I get you like Strome. That's fine. But in liking Strome you are projecting success, the same thing I am doing with a different conclusion. So I'm not sure what you were criticizing.

But yea. The proof will be in the pudding. When we can taste the pudding, it will be too late to make the choice between Keller and Strome. So unfortunTely most players will need to make a choice before they can fully sample. It's just the game we play.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.

Dobber Sports Deity

No. I'm not confident he will be a bust. I am confident that I don't like his chances as much as Keller. Those are two very different things.

I'm not sure what the issue is really. Every time someone writes or reads a prospect ranking, every dynasty and keeper draft, every single season draft for that matter, they are doing what I'm describing and discriminating between players. To do that anyone must projec, and make predictions. The difference in perspective is the entire foundation behind fantasy sports.

That's literally the process we undertake playing fantasy sports. So I get you like Strome. That's fine. But in liking Strome you are projecting success, the same thing I am doing with a different conclusion. So I'm not sure what you were criticizing.

But yea. The proof will be in the pudding. When we can taste the pudding, it will be too late to make the choice between Keller and Strome. So unfortunTely most players will need to make a choice before they can fully sample. It's just the game we play.
    Indeed. None of us own a crystal ball.

Dobber Sports Veteran

kllrt rre

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Next season I'd take Keller but I think neither will really offer above-average offence *for that season only.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I wouldn't be keeping either of these players in a keep 4. There has to be much better options.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Exactly. I think Strome has BUST written all over him. I don't think Keller will fail.
    Both of them are babies. I wouldn.t be so quick to crucify one of them yet . With a skating coach/guru on the staff fulltime, I like the potential of improving Strome's skating . If that gets better , the rest is there .
    17th season keeper league with salary cap,16 teams ,max 38 players per team,UFA/RFA system,contracts.
    Cats:fwd(1pt=1pt)top 6 count -Bratt/Hischier/Kakko/Hintz/Meier/W.Johnston/Mercer/Lafrénière/Perfetti/Zibanejad//Mercer/Holtz/Panarin/Kreider/
    D(G=2,A=1.5)top 4 count- A.Fox/Heiskanen/K.Miller/Hutson
    Goalies(save%,W,SO)top 2 count-Shesterkin/Oettinger
    plus 4 other cats: top powerfwd(Trocheck)
    setupman(J.Hughes),sniper(J.Robertson)rookie(M.Bou rque/G.Perreault/Stankoven)

Playoffs Champion 2009, 2010, 2018
    Reg.season Champion 2011-12,2012-13,2016-17,2017-18,2018-19,2022-23