Thread: Any chance Saros does a Matt Murray?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Any chance Saros does a Matt Murray?

I just got eliminated, largely due to Burns sucking down the stretch and not having Letang for the playoffs. Owell..

Still have some waiver opportunities to dump some this year only guys for guys who may have greater value in the off-season (for a trade) or even for next season. Saros is available, and I'm wondering if there is any scenario where he pulls a Matt Murray and takes the job from Rinne in the playoffs, forces the preds hands, and becomes the defacto #1?

I know Rinne's still got term left and Saros is the heir to the throne, but could it happen as soon as this playoff?
    Weekly H2H 4games/week. 14 Teams,21 Player roster+ 3 protected prospects
    20 week Regular season + 3 Rounds of Playoffs
    Keep 10

G+A = 1pt, Dman G+A = 1.5pt, PPG =1pt, PPA = 0.5pt, SHG = 1pt, SHA = 0.5pt, ShootoutG = 0.25pt, GWG = 1pt, Hatty = 3pt, DMan Hatty = 5pt, +/- (For D only) = +/- 0.5pt, W = 2pt, L = -1pt, OTL = 1pt, ShootoutL = 0.5pt, SO = 1pt, S = 0.1pt, GA = -0.5pt, Goalie Goal = 5pt

Each week play: 3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 D, 2 G
    C: Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf, Zibanejad
    LW: Schwartz, Kase, Debrusk, Dzingel
    RW: Ehlers, Lindholm, Zuccarrello, Tuch
    D: Letang, Burns, Krug, Edler
    G: Vasilevskiy, Fleury, Saros, Domingue
    Prospects: Sorokin, Kaprizov, Hart

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Any chance Saros does a Matt Murray?

I give it a 20% chance. Saros has been good, but like Dell in his last game, he's had one or two lacklustre showings as well. It would take a lot (or an injury) for Nashville to not go with the tested starter.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

As Eskimo Brother mentioned it would take an injury for Saros to get a shot.

Nashville has never won a cup, they cannot afford to go away from their proven starter and the best goalie in their team history to a young guy. There will be too many What If questions if they go away from Rinne and do not make it far.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Chances are obviously slim, even Matt Murray needed the injury to MAF last year to get a shot, which he parlayed into greatness.

I suppose any equally possible situation is that Rinne sucks down the stretch and in the playoffs and the Predators try and offload him in the offseason to give the cheaper Saros the starter role instead. Both are not likely to happen.

I'm not familiar with your league rules but if you have some guys you can't possibly keep or trade next year but you can keep or trade Saros it makes sense to pick him up because a slim chance is better than no chance.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I don't think we'll be seeing Saros suit up as the #1 in Nashville unless Rinne goes down to injury. I can't see Saros out playing Rinne down the stretch nor getting the opportunity to outplay a healthy Rinne. As such, I still see Saros as the #2 in Nash next year at which time, anything is possible.

Dobber Sports Master

I'm only going to echo what the others have already said: Saros takes over in the event of a Rinne injury. Even if Rinne poops the bed in a game during the playoffs, Saros may get a start, but the Murray situation is a once a decade thing (think Patrick Roy in the 86 playoffs, or Cam Ward in 2006).

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Administrator

Is anyone else concerned about his size when it comes to being a true #1 in the NHL?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Initiate

Agree that this isn't Saros' year... although I've been down on Rinne since I had him last year and he really underperformed... his stats this season have been really up and down (although I haven't been watching too closely - this is not the Trotz Predators).
    League: H2H - Keep 15
    Managers: 12
    Rosters: 25 (4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 5BN)

Scoring Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, PPA, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, BLK, HIT, W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SO

Projected Keepers in Bold (Rebuild)
    C: Bedard, Cozens, Zegras, Lundell, B. Hayton, A. Cirelli, JG Pageau
    LW: Svechnikov, Raymond, Byfield, Laine, D. Voronkov, A. Henrique
    RW: Caufield, Jarvis, Perfetti, Marchenko, J. Quinn, K. Kakko
    D: Seider, Bouchard, L. Hughes, Sanderson, Korchinski, Romanov
    G: Demko, Kochetkov, Thompson, Askarov

Championships: 2016, 2018, 2019

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Is anyone else concerned about his size when it comes to being a true #1 in the NHL?
    I've watched quite a few games with him. He's quick, very well positioned, has some solid rebound control, and just thinks the game so well. In some cases I might be worried, but he's here for a reason and has given me no reason to doubt him.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Immortal

I knew I should have grabbed him tonight.

Dobber Sports Expert

Rinne is not going to have much rope now that Laviolette has actually a good backup. I wouldn't be shocked to see Saros pull a Murray.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

The Great One

I think the concerns re his size can only really be analysed when he has the starting gig to run with and see if he wears down (mind you how many years did we say undersized forwards would struggle in the NHL - grated rule changes also supported their emergence IMO). Watched the aisles game and unsurprisingly a sub 6' goalie can still take away a lot of the top of the net with good positioning and patience which Aaros showed.

back OT I can't see him being handed the keys unless he makes the decision a no brainer and that will only come about with a Rinne injury right now
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I've watched quite a few games with him. He's quick, very well positioned, has some solid rebound control, and just thinks the game so well. In some cases I might be worried, but he's here for a reason and has given me no reason to doubt him.
    Have you watched him play a bunch of games in a row in the NHL?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Immortal

Another loss for Rinne tonight. Saros is obviously going to get one game this weekend in the b2b, but they also play Thursday...interesting.

The Great One

Second. Of a back to back is generally considered a loss anyway isn't it? Think Nashville tried to be cute and played Rinne in it hoping to steal something. Haven't watched the game but 30 for 3 hardly implies a stinker, and that's what needs to happen - losses and poor performances, for him to give up the starting gig
    Experience is the teacher of all things.