Thread: Any "not-so-secret" formulas out there??

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Any "not-so-secret" formulas out there??

When compiling a draft list for my keeper league, I often end up with upwards of eligible players. Of course we'd all agree that its crazy to execute a draft based purely on numbers, but to get a rough idea of the order, I always formulate a ranking system based on a few stats, and then mix around my final rankings from there. From time to time I'll add another "indicator" to my formula, making it even more complex, but hopefully, improving my drafting. Everyones draft objectives will differ based on their annual or long term goal, but I think its important to have this kind of a formula to roughly organize these sometimes overwhelming lists of prospects. Our entry draft is open to all fantasy undrafted NHLers under the age of 28, including new draftees from the most recent NHL entry draft, which may differ from some leagues, but I think a lot of guys have the everchanging question of how to rank these fresh prospects against more developed ones and where they all fit into their strategy.

I do a lot of excel work, I try not to weight different indicators as it typically just makes the formula more complex... not that the units or anything really matter in this case, but some of my "indicators" include - Position multipliers (1 - forward, 1.25 - defense), NHLe, opportunity factor (0-1), pedigree factor (0-1), estimated level of potential reached (0-1), and if applicable (as in published) NHL points/60. What are your methods?
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Any "not-so-secret" formulas out there??

Honestly I don't ever make draft lists. I take the yahoo list, copy out about 100 names past the total number to be owned in the league (e.g.: 10 teams @ 20 skaters = 200 players so I copy out 300) and then I go from there. I'll mark some guys down with asterixes (what is the plural of Asterix?) and mentally prepare a general plan, like take 1 D in the top 3 picks or not take a goalie until round 8, or whatever it may be to take advantage of settings. It's really whatever works for you.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    what is the plural of Asterix?
    "asterisks"

Well, the plural of asterisk is asterisks. Asterix (or The Adventures of Asterix) is series of French comics.

Dobber Sports Pro

My approach may not work for you, but here goes:

-identify which players I want
    -watch them get taken in the draft before i can get them
    -panic and grab other guys that i didn't want
    -curse my poor draft

actually, my approach doesn't work for me either. lol

Dobber Sports Jedi

Beer
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

start talking up the players you don't want and about how they're gonna have a breakout year. then watch other guys try not to get suckered in by your bluffing but still not be able to help themselves because you've convinced them now. then draft the guy you actually want who you've been completely mum about.
    Weekly H2H 4games/week. 14 Teams,21 Player roster+ 3 protected prospects
    20 week Regular season + 3 Rounds of Playoffs
    Keep 10

G+A = 1pt, Dman G+A = 1.5pt, PPG =1pt, PPA = 0.5pt, SHG = 1pt, SHA = 0.5pt, ShootoutG = 0.25pt, GWG = 1pt, Hatty = 3pt, DMan Hatty = 5pt, +/- (For D only) = +/- 0.5pt, W = 2pt, L = -1pt, OTL = 1pt, ShootoutL = 0.5pt, SO = 1pt, S = 0.1pt, GA = -0.5pt, Goalie Goal = 5pt

Each week play: 3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 D, 2 G
    C: Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf, Zibanejad
    LW: Schwartz, Kase, Debrusk, Dzingel
    RW: Ehlers, Lindholm, Zuccarrello, Tuch
    D: Letang, Burns, Krug, Edler
    G: Vasilevskiy, Fleury, Saros, Domingue
    Prospects: Sorokin, Kaprizov, Hart

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by nickchau2000 View Post
    start talking up the players you don't want and about how they're gonna have a breakout year. then watch other guys try not to get suckered in by your bluffing but still not be able to help themselves because you've convinced them now. then draft the guy you actually want who you've been completely mum about.
    Have actually done this before. Does completely work.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Asterix (or The Adventures of Asterix) is series of French comics.
    and a pretty darn funny one at that!

But back to the main subject : My strategy is to watch as the guys I wanted and got all suddenly go through an off year, while the guys I got and didn't really want break out, which gives me a middle of the pack squad full of "about equal" players that leaves me undecided each and every week about who to start and who to bench and that has me wondering early if I should tank and rebuild or try to trade my way out of it. Not a great strategy either...
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Administrator

My advice: Get to know your league extremely well. Like, so well you just know the value of each player within your league's context. For example, some leagues allow you to hold an unlimited amount of prospects indefinitely while others have a limited amount of farm slots with very loose limits on signings throughout the year. In the latter example it might not be a good idea to hold on to a bunch of long-shot project players for a bunch of years because you have plenty of chances to sample the flavors of the week that pop up in the NHL all the time.

In my one league that has a prospect draft I use this to narrow down my pool of relevant prospects. Then it becomes much easier to do rankings, etc.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by nickchau2000 View Post
    2 minutes for 'unsportsmanlike'!