Thread: Potential Prospect Pickups

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Potential Prospect Pickups

Got bounced from the championship run last week so wondering about snagging 1 or more prospects that are currently available on the wire as a potential keeper for next year. Rosters are getting turned-over due to the playoffs so some of the intriguing names (not all are "prospects") available include:
    Wennberg
    Konecky
    Dvorak
    Mantha
    Puljujarvi
    Rantanen
    Zacha

The league settings are in my signature, but goals are essentially weighed quite heavily in the league. I snagged Horvat thinking he was the best option but am now re-considering. Any thoughts on whether any of the above are worth picking up in place of my current potential keepers (in bold below).

Thanks.

C: Galchenyuk, Brassard, Horvat, Kopitar, E. Lindholm
    W: Hall, Hoffman, Ovechkin, Huberdeau, J.T. Miller, Aho, Palat, Stone
    D: Karlsson, Barrie, Leddy, Parayko
    G: Hellebuyck, Fleury, Mason

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Potential Prospect Pickups

I would grab Pulj and keep him over Kopi. That's about it though.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Icon

Puljujarvi over Palat

Dobber Sports Sage

I like pulj as well. I'm. Not convinced he out produces Kopitar next season tho. Kopitar looks a lot better in the second half this season than he did in the first.

The upside on pulj is huge so it may still be worth the difference in production next year.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Sage

If you can still trade Kopitar for a pick then it's a no brainer.

Also snag pulj and drop someone you definitely won't keep if you're able. Decide at the end of the season / playoffs.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks for the advice. Picked up Pulj so that I can make the decision this summer. Difficult for me to let go of Kopitar but that's the fun part of fantasy hockey I guess! Will be interesting to see what I can get for him this summer.

Thanks to the Dobber community for the quick responses!!!

Dobber Sports Pro

Jeez.... I love me some Pool Party but wouldn't he likely be available a few rounds into the draft?

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Jeez.... I love me some Pool Party but wouldn't he likely be available a few rounds into the draft?
    96 players kept in his league. Dobber has him ranked at 137. But I bet he goes before 137 in most leagues next season. The upside of him clicking with mcd and never looking back is too high.

So you could definitely chance it but I think he could easily go first round in this league. It's a tough call as I don't think he will out produce Kopitar next year, so I'm probably keeping Kopi to go for gold next year.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    96 players kept in his league. Dobber has him ranked at 137. But I bet he goes before 137 in most leagues next season. The upside of him clicking with mcd and never looking back is too high.

So you could definitely chance it but I think he could easily go first round in this league. It's a tough call as I don't think he will out produce Kopitar and I'm probably keeping Kopi to go for gold next year.
    Sure he is ranked 137 on the top 300... But only 11 defenders made the top 100 on that list, and goalies aren't on it at all. I am sure that a decent number of the 96 players kept will be defenders and goalies.

If we are using the top 300 to make a decision then Mark Stone (37) should be a keeper over Puljujarvi and Kopitar.

I don't have a problem with keeping Puljujarvi... Just seems like a bit of an over payment to spend a top 96 pick on him. But I guess if he doesn't overpay then someone else will.

Dobber Sports Sage

Those are good points.

I think people will be willing to overdraft him next year based on speculation. There's always a few guys (that rarely win) willing to take a bunch of chances.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    There's always a few guys (that rarely win) willing to take a bunch of chances.
    Precisely. If he keeps Puljujarvi over Stone or Kopitar, I am worried he will be one of those guys. lol

That being said, after the next year or two I am fairly confident that Puljujarvi will be more valuable than the other two. So I guess it just depends on his time frame to compete and how in love he is with Puljujarvi.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think Mantha will have a big year next season, blashill is being tough on him for his own good and he should find his game and be given a chance to carry the team more. Zetts is teaching him. Give me puljjarvi and mantha over jt miller and palat. ~ my two cents
    Fwds: Benn, Hertl, Backstrom, Coleman, W.Karlsson, Marchand, Mcdavid, Bergeron, A.svechnikov, Malkin, W.Nylander, toffoli.

Dfnse: Deangelo, Fox, Hronek, Ristolainen, Giordano, Letang

Goalie: Samsonov, Binnington

Rsrvs: Radulov, bjorkstrand, buchnevich, krebs, sanford, Grzelcyk, Suter, M.Lehtonen, Severson, Spurgeon, K'andre Miller, Allen, Mrazek, Prosvetov, Vanecek

12-team Keeper. Rotisserie.
    G,A,+/-,Hits,Blks,Pim,Sog,PPP,HT,SHPTS,W,Spct,Gaa,SO,Svs