Thread: Which players out of the 2017 NHL draft make an impact next season?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Which players out of the 2017 NHL draft make an impact next season?

Nico Hiescher? Nolan Patrick? Can any of them put up 40-50 pts next season?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Which players out of the 2017 NHL draft make an impact next season?

Hisher and Patrick are likely the only two that could jump in and have the potential to do it right away. Maybe if they get put into the right lineup in ARZ, VAN, COL or another spot where there is room for them to be a top line and top PP option.
    I wouldn't put more than a 25% chance on anyone else in this draft making an impact next season.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Master

Weak draft class, and I agree that only Patrick and Hishier would be likely to play a full season in the NHL next year.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Expert

I think Patrick makes the NHL next season. I think Hischier should go back to the Q like Ehlers did. No need to rush him and activate his ELC as I doubt he's gonna have much impact next year, but what do I know.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Wizard

Besides the obvious names (Patrick and Hischier), Gabriel Vilardi could potentially play in the NHL next season. Other possibilities are Owen Tippett and Callan Foote. But it's unlikely those 3 could score 40 points next season.

So yeah, it's unlikely we'll see very many making the jump next season, and even less of them are going to be fantasy hockey worthy.

Dobber Sports Jedi

The biggest noise is going to come from prospects in previous drafts that didn't make the jump this year - Boeser, Puljujarvi, Barzal, Strome, Keller, McAvoy etc... when those players didn't/couldn't make the cut last year, I have a hard time seeing really anyone from this draft class making a meaningful leap this year
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

I never say "weak draft class" because we really have no idea what will come out of it. Most say "weak draft class" when there's no clear cut superstar at the top of the draft. To me, that doesn't make a draft class weak, only less predictable.

I do like the top two as well but as far as who will make an impact directly out of the gate, it's anyones guess. That's what happens when there's no clear superstar. It wouldn't surprise me if no one from next years draft class makes an impact as early as next season.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I never say "weak draft class" because we really have no idea what will come out of it. Most say "weak draft class" when there's no clear cut superstar at the top of the draft. To me, that doesn't make a draft class weak, only less predictable.

I do like the top two as well but as far as who will make an impact directly out of the gate, it's anyones guess. That's what happens when there's no clear superstar. It wouldn't surprise me if no one from next years draft class makes an impact as early as next season.
    Completely agree with this. Simply because the top 5 haven't demonstrated a superstar pedigree doesn't mean that this draft has any less depth than those in the recent past. I think some will get their 9 game opportunity and we could see some surprises if they fit into a teams structure. ELC's are obviously very cap friendly, and who knows what each teams situation could turn out to be after the expansion draft. The lottery will also play into this significantly - if Colorado picks 3rd, it may be a blessing in disguise, giving them the excuse to select Liljegren, who could absolutely take on a roster spot if he auditions well, especially if Zadorov or another defenceman leaves for Vegas.
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393