Thread: Stand pat vs. stream

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Stand pat vs. stream

Things are coming down to the wire in my league and I'm trying to figure out the best strategy for hanging on to 2nd as 1st might be out of reach. No prize for finishing third.

League details in signature. There are game caps by position and I'm about +5 in all cases so I'm starting to consider matchups just a bit as I have that luxury. After a so-so middle part of the season, my team is on fire as of late and I really don't feel like dropping any pieces. The person behind me is starting to drop players at each position in order to stream in Colorado and Jersey opponents as much as possible. After seeing what his Schmaltz and Hjalmarsson pickups did yesterday, I'm starting to wonder if this might be enough to catch me. The league is shallow and the other six teams are not trying any more as their positions seem settled.

So the question is, so I trust that my guys have what it takes to stay on top or start taking a similar approach? I'm about 40 points up but he has 30 games in hand. A good ratio is a fantasy point per game played so he's got some work to do to make up 40 points in 30 games.

Suggestions?
    Always a Bridesmaid
    C MacK, Kopitar, Krejci
    L Hall, Beauvillier, Robertson
    R Rust (L), Carter (C/L)
    D Theodore, Carlson, Josi, Reilly (Bos)
    G Shesterkin, Nedeljkovic, Campbell, Greiss

1Y H2H [G, A, +-, PPP, SOG, H], [W, SV%, GAA, SO]

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Stand pat vs. stream

Could you try streaming the COL/NJ matchup guys a day before he's going to grab them, but not actually play them?
    I mean, you're going to have to sit guys anyways, why not stream your sitting guys to take them away from your opponent?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Giant

I would do something similar to what EB is saying. Use Backes' spot and pick up the best player prior to a given game and just bench him (unless he is a better option than one of your guys). I doubt Backes helps you in your format considering the depth you have on the wings with 2 studs getting dual eligibility. If he wants to stream to catch up, makes sure he doesn't get the best players available to do so. Also, if you drop a player, does the player go through a waiver period before he can be picked up again? You could really hurt him if that is the case...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Sage

Similar to EB - I'd also consider doing it with carter Hutton as st louis doesn't have any btb in the next two weeks. With Nashville and st louis tied at 81 points for either the last wild card spot or 3rd in the central I'd bet allen gets all the starts, or close to, for the next two weeks. Especially given how well he's playing.

If you can eat up the best two available players it's going to seal his 3rd place fate, even if you bench them.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

It's Yahoo! so I have to keep a player on my roster past 4 am or whatever the changeover time is, but then yes, waiver status kicks in. I wasn't too sure whether tactics like that would be considered a little bush league.

Tough for me to send Backes packing. Over the past 30 days, the only skaters on my team faring better are Sheary, Gaudreau and Giordano. Most of that came at the end of February, but he's back up over 1.5 fantasy ppg recently.
    I actually redid the math and my opponent has 27 games in hand to make up a 50 point gap. That might already be insurmountable.

Positive Hutton doesn't get at least one of those cupcake starts? Man StL has a breezy schedule down the stretch.
    Always a Bridesmaid
    C MacK, Kopitar, Krejci
    L Hall, Beauvillier, Robertson
    R Rust (L), Carter (C/L)
    D Theodore, Carlson, Josi, Reilly (Bos)
    G Shesterkin, Nedeljkovic, Campbell, Greiss

1Y H2H [G, A, +-, PPP, SOG, H], [W, SV%, GAA, SO]

Dobber Sports Sage

The only person that could answer that he's positive Hutton won't get a start during the next 7 games is Mike Yeo, so I'm not positive. Allen could have a bad start or two, they could get cemented into the 3rd or 7th position in the next 3 or 4 games and give allen a break.

I don't think Hutton gets more than 1 of the next 7 and I think it's very possible he doesn't get any of them. Think being the key word.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Sage

Just to add to that it doesn't seem like your opponent has much of a chance at catching you.

I'm kind of doing the same thing holding onto 3 goalies for the last couple weeks where I only need one for fear of my next playoff opponent picking up the one I drop and using him against me. If I get through this week all the remaining opponents should have better options but it's been tough holding 3 goalies.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):