Thread: Is this fair- equal number of acquisitions in the playoffs

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Is this fair- equal number of acquisitions in the playoffs

6 teams make the playoffs out of 12

Top 2 teams gets byes

All 6 teams get the same number of playoff acquisitions- 10

Teams 3-6 potentially play for 3 weeks while teams 1 and 2 play for 2 weeks yet everyone has 10 pickups.

I suppose it is fair if these were the settings going in and everyone knew the rules but I think overall this is too much of an advantage for the top seeds. I guess that is the bigger question- is this too much of an advantage for the top seeds? We played 5 moves per week all season. What do you think?
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Is this fair- equal number of acquisitions in the playoffs

Sounds like something that needs to get addressed by the league as a whole in the off-season. Is it fair? That's for the league members to decide. As long as all agree to it in the off-season then it's fair.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

It's definitely something that needs to be done in the offseason but if you wer doin 5 per week all year then 10 over the playoffs seems fair...our league doesn't have playoffs but it would seem to me that once playoffs start the aquisitions should be even more limited. We have a limit of 25 all year..so if you burn through them you are done if something comes up at the end of the year.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW)
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-
    NTP - Leonard, Perrault

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Master

All is fair in love and fantasy hockey...LOL

Seriously, if that is what the league decided before the season / playoffs began, then it is fair. If it is something you (and others in the league?) disagree with, then perhaps it is something to look at come of the off season. No league is created perfectly, and working out the kinks, at the appropriate time, will only make your league more competitive and enjoyable.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

The Great One

It those were the rules going in, then yes, it's fair.

I actually like it. It gives an advantage to the top 2 teams, which makes the regular season more meaningful. Some many crazy things can happen in a H2H format. I love the idea of top two teams getting a bye, and getting same number of acquisitions. It balances out some of the randomness of H2H and, as I said, gives more meaning to the regular season (which is the vast majority of the season).

Dobber Sports Genius

If all parties knew the rules going into the season, then I don't see a problem with fighting ethics here. Would forcefully make me want to get one of those top 2 positions going into playoffs. Carry on with repute.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Sage

I should have changed my title since at the end of the post I said it was fair since these were our settings going in. My bigger question is if it is too much of an advantage for the top seeds? I would vote that you get 5 acquisitions per week just like the regular season. Top seeds get 5 moves per week just like the lower seeds.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Wolverine

In general, my preference is if you have 5 acquisitions per week in the regular season, it should remain that way for the playoffs. That way, everyone is on a level playing field on a week by week basis, which is how you are playing the game. If you have a bye, you can still make moves during your bye week but it resets for playoff week 2.

Dobber Sports Monster

For this year it's fair because as you say everyone knew the rules. As far as future seasons, I would change that. I feel a bye week plus more moves per matchup is a big advantage. I think its healthier to force the top seeds to prove theyre the best without any extra helps from the settings. Thats generally how it is in the NHL minus a few tiny home ice advantages.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

The Great One

If it's known to all in advance, and agreed upon, then it's fair - period.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I like the 10 moves for the playoffs. It gives something extra for the teams finishing in 1st and 2nd. I hate H2H and prefer roto (play in 2 leagues) but I do play in one H2H and there is no incentive in finishing 1st or 2nd. If that's your rule, keep it and revisit it for next year.