Thread: Theodore, Honka, Deangelo and Pouliot

The Great One

Default Theodore, Honka, Deangelo and Pouliot

i dont always follow defensive prospects as much as I should. id love to hear what dobbernation thinks about these 4 as theyre all on my radar and all available foree at this point. So curious about upside, certainty to hit said upside, short term outlook, where they fall on team depth charts, etc, etc. Doing my own research but like making these posts in tandem to that as these forums consistently surprise me with the quality of opinions you can add to your own findings.

Im in a bit of a unique spot. we keep 14 until right before the draft and then cut to 12- so technically Im looking for a guy to be my 14th keeper (after Buff, Ghost and Trouba) and as such will likely be dropped anyways before the draft. So i guess im looking for the guy off that list who you feel will have the most BUZZ by the start of next years season. That way I can either change my mind and keep him or even shop him for an asset or upgrade somewhere else. i feel like these guys are too valuable to be sitting on waivers in a 20 team- keep 12 format.

Id also like information/opinions on them as Ive managed to consolidate all my picks (6 of them) into the first two rounds (three 1st's and three 2nd's)- so Ill have a good chance of targetting my 4th (and final) d-man out of this list.

Rep for thoughtful (Read: LONG) answers- lol!!!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Theodore, Honka, Deangelo and Pouliot

Well the only one that can make you change your mind until the end of the season is DeAngelo, he has the biggest upside and he's in the NHL playing big minutes and PP. He also have the best opportunity to make room in the top 6 next year.

The other ones will not have significant role this year, they'll just continue to do well in the AHL.

I would say Honka situation is better for next year, and Theodore is not too far. Pouliot will not have buzz around him ever again... if he does that will be the next Justin Schultz in 2-3 years from now after a trade. But if you look to have a defenseman with a buzz, their value will not change this Summer compared to how poolers value them right now.

DeAngelo is the only one who fits the bill of that maybe happening.

Dobber Sports Titan

Pouliot is the obvious odd man out on this list for me.
    Looking at the other 3, DeAngelo is the choice if you want any kind of production now and next season. Honka and Theodore will both be great players, but they are not here yet, and are stuck behind massive depth chart road blocks on their way to production.
    That being said, OEL and maybe even Chychrun could be a bit of a road block to DeAngelo.

Recency bias always plays a role though, and DeAngelo's stock is going to go up faster over the next calendar year than any of the others' will, so he's my choice.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Thanks for the responses- exactly what I was looking for. I keep trying to rep you EB but I guess I have to srpead around more rep first- lol!!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Excellent replies from Stencil and EB already, and I agree that DeAngelo would be my choice as well in your situation.

Theodore is the other name I'd consider in case Anaheim trades a big name D-man before the expansion draft.

Dobber Sports Master

DeA and Theodore are my two choices as well. DeA is the possible home run, while Theodore is the safest bet.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

The Great One

I wonder if you can add both DeA and Theodore... Primarily as if Anaheim loses a d man either pre or during expansion then he will become a hot commodity and you could see a really quick return on the pick up...
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    I wonder if you can add both DeA and Theodore... Primarily as if Anaheim loses a d man either pre or during expansion then he will become a hot commodity and you could see a really quick return on the pick up...
    I actually could- Id just need to drop PL Dubois- which is fine because theres virtually no chance Id keep him after what Ive read about Clayton Keller. In theory I could drop Kovalchuk too but i kind of like him having him as one of my droppables just to be a troll- lol! My two last keepers get cut or can be traded right before our draft- so there not "actual" keepers. If i grab Theodore now I can decide which two to keep out of those three (Theodore, Deangelo and Kovalchuk)- by the end of the season. I dont think Dubois stock is going to magically sky rocket by then :P

EDIT: Forgot I had taken on Spooner in a trade- easy drop for Theodore...

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    I actually could- Id just need to drop PL Dubois- which is fine because theres virtually no chance Id keep him after what Ive read about Clayton Keller. In theory I could drop Kovalchuk too but i kind of like him having him as one of my droppables just to be a troll- lol! My two last keepers get cut or can be traded right before our draft- so there not "actual" keepers. If i grab Theodore now I can decide which two to keep out of those three (Theodore, Deangelo and Kovalchuk)- by the end of the season. I dont think Dubois stock is going to magically sky rocket by then :P
    You might end up regretting dropping Dubois. I would keep him and try to trade either him or perhaps someone like Skinner or Brassard (or Eberle as discussed elsewhere).

Kovalchuk is an easy drop, he's not that good anymore anyways, and he can't return to the NHL for another year when he turns 35.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    You might end up regretting dropping Dubois. I would keep him and try to trade either him or perhaps someone like Skinner or Brassard (or Eberle as discussed elsewhere).

Kovalchuk is an easy drop, he's not that good anymore anyways, and he can't return to the NHL for another year when he turns 35.
    Yea Im just not sure Im ready to take on another rookie as a keeper behind Keller. I also think Im fine with Eberle as a keeper for now- obviously if i could get a decent return Id explore it- but for now Im still treating him as a 55-60 point- 200 sog player for next season- and thats still a solid keeper in our league format.

Kovalchuk rumors are swirling for next year- Ill try to find the link- but its in the last 2 or 3- 30 thoughts from Fridge I believe. I know hes likely past his prime- but these 13th/14th spots are more for boom/bust type of assets anyways because they get dropped before the draft. Might get someone buying into the Kovalchuk hype if he comes back - maybe get a draft pick or something anyways. Either way Ill be targetting Dubois in the draft- just not a keeper at this point.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Yea Im just not sure Im ready to take on another rookie as a keeper behind Keller. I also think Im fine with Eberle as a keeper for now- obviously if i could get a decent return Id explore it- but for now Im still treating him as a 55-60 point- 200 sog player for next season- and thats still a solid keeper in our league format.

Kovalchuk rumors are swirling for next year- Ill try to find the link- but its in the last 2 or 3- 30 thoughts from Fridge I believe. I know hes likely past his prime- but these 13th/14th spots are more for boom/bust type of assets anyways because they get dropped before the draft. Might get someone buying into the Kovalchuk hype if he comes back - maybe get a draft pick or something anyways. Either way Ill be targetting Dubois in the draft- just not a keeper at this point.
    The problem with Kovy is that he can't return to the NHL unless all 31 teams give him their permission. Why would teams that can't afford him do that? They won't. So Kovy can't return until he turns 35. And he hasn't been great in the KHL at the age of 32 and 33, so it's very unlikely he suddenly becomes great then.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

DeAngelo is the swing for the fences pick. He's impressive on the offensive side of the puck and opportunity is there for Arizona. He's a gambler and might have a hard time sticking in the NHL to start, but the stats will be there.

Theodore shouldn't be in the AHL, and everyone knows it. He has some NHLitis right now, and it was really on display last weekend in San Jose. Two scouts mentioned it to me separately. He won't be waivers eligible next year, so he's the safest pick, but on his own team Montour has more upside, so he'll be a traditional two-way.

Honka is a player I've liked for a while. He doesn't seem to be getting a fair shot with Dallas at the moment but his time will come.

Pouliot's concussion issues are reaching major concern levels. With Montour and Theodore coming around, his role, if any, will be far more limited. Wasn't a fan of him before and even less now.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by zakkthebear View Post
    DeAngelo is the swing for the fences pick. He's impressive on the offensive side of the puck and opportunity is there for Arizona. He's a gambler and might have a hard time sticking in the NHL to start, but the stats will be there.

Theodore shouldn't be in the AHL, and everyone knows it. He has some NHLitis right now, and it was really on display last weekend in San Jose. Two scouts mentioned it to me separately. He won't be waivers eligible next year, so he's the safest pick, but on his own team Montour has more upside, so he'll be a traditional two-way.

Honka is a player I've liked for a while. He doesn't seem to be getting a fair shot with Dallas at the moment but his time will come.

Pouliot's concussion issues are reaching major concern levels. With Montour and Theodore coming around, his role, if any, will be far more limited. Wasn't a fan of him before and even less now.
    Sometimes being waiver eligible hurts a young player more than it helps because teams don't want to lose those players but they also can't fit them in their lineup (see: Frank Corrado, Josh Leivo as recent examples), so hopefully that doesn't happen to Theodore.

I read somewhere that Dallas will call up Honka for the rest of the season to give him a real chance at the NHL level, so keep an eye on that.

Dobber Sports Monster

Deangelo
    Theodore
    Honka
    ---------gap
    pouliot

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

DeAngelo

"."

no rep needed.