Thread: Overpaying fr a pick upgrade- thoughts? REP!

The Great One

Default Overpaying fr a pick upgrade- thoughts? REP!

Just want to make sure Im not outfoxing myself on this one. Im trying to condense my assets for next year but have made a few ill advised trades recently and wanted to get some feedback before I send the offer. Im out of contention but looking for a quick turnaround- hope to be halfway competetive again by next year.

So essentially the trade is Zibanejad, Brassard and my 3rd for a 1st. Its a 20 team league and we keep 12 (we keep 14 until right before the draft then we cut 2 more down to 12 before we draft). This move lets me keep E Lindholm and Keller. There are 6 rounds but due to other trades I have more high picks than usual. they are as ollows- 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, and 3.

Brass is actual a solid option in this format- especially when he is producing like his 65ish point pace usual (hes been producing that way for 30-40 gmes now after a sluggish start) and Zibas already in solid keeper territory production wise with some halfway legitimate optimism for upside. That being said the trade would allow me to keep Elias Lindholm- who I feel is basically in the same tier as the other two already- and then take a gamble on Keller who I got for free off the wire this year but would probably be an extremely difficult draft target as the buzz around him just seems to be escalating.

So yea- on paper I feel like Im giving up a lot of quality for one lone pick upgrade but i feel like theres a certain rationale in making this offer. Am I outsmarting myself- or does this make sense??

ADDENDUM:

Keepers and picks before trade:
    Malkin, Forsberg, Skinner, Kane, Eberle, Ziba, Brass, Buff, Ghost, Trouba, Vas, Lehner, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd
    Keepers and Picks after trade:
    Malkin, Forsberg, Skinner, Kane, Eberle, Lindholm, Keller, Buff, Ghost, Trouba, Vas, Lehner, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Overpaying fr a pick upgrade- thoughts? REP!

I like that trade for you. Increase a pick while retaining young talent vs. Ziba who is a 50 point guy. In a 20 team league thats a big jump in picks.
    H2H - 3 keepers (4 year max.) - 12 teams - 2 C, 2 RW, 2 LW, 1 F, 4 D, 1 Util., 2 G, 3 Bench, IR, IR+, IR+

Skaters - G, A, P, +/-, SOG, PPP, HIT, BLK
    Goalies - W, GAA, SV%, SV

C - McDavid, Crosby, Kyrou
    RW - Kuch, P. Kane, Batherson, Wilson
    LW - Fiala, Hagel, Verhaeghe
    D - Dahlin, Hedman, Morrissey, Theodore, Dunn
    G - Hellebuyck, Ullmark, Binnington
    IR - Sergachev

Dobber Sports Giant

From a keeper perspective, that trade is decent. Zibanejad, Brassard and a 3rd for Lindholm, Keller and a 1st; looks like a lot but I think you'll come out the winner here...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Titan

I like the deal because you have great options to keep instead.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

I also like it. The pick upgrade is worth it as your keeper depth is good and you don't lose much (anything you do lose will be short term).
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Icon

another like here..Keller wil be a better keeper than Zib, and you get the DP upgrade...Brass vs Lindholm is a wash for me
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Administrator

This is not an overpayment.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    This is not an overpayment.
    Im not sure thats accurate. In a 20 team keep 12 league that first rounder is not a slam dunk by any stretch. Some comparables of guys who went in that range this year might be Radulov and Pietrangelo- decent options with keeper value but not gamebreakers. In fact the only gamebreaker outside of the top three (Mathews, Laine, and Murray) was probably Atkinson who I might have even passed on- lol! There were more than a few duds as well (Parentau, maybe too soon to say on puuilarv-a-whatever- but not looking good as 4th overall so far). So basically the upside is a 50-60 point range guy with some punch (basically just described Brassard and Ziba right there- haha!) and the downside is a totl whiff.

Also in our format Brass and Ziba would have both been keepers on my team and likely will be on is. So there was inherent value attached to both these players for whichever roster they landed on.

Lastly hes getting a late first rounder and my 3rd rounder is probably going to be in the top 5- lol!

But yea- Im just saying I disagree- but Ive been accuse of being a validation seeker on these boards so I want to be clear that I could be wrong. Im just saying today it felt like I was giving up a lot of value for a pick upgrade especially in a league where are depth. Brass and Ziba might be streamers in other formats but they were absolutely keepers in ours- just sayin...

The Great One

But yea...

I appreciate the feedback from everybody. Threw it out there and he accepted. In a six round draft I now have 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd- so pretty stoked about that (although a little disgruntled the draft class proects to be so weak- lol!). Im happy with my keepers now and definitely more intrigued about Keller after digging up more scouting reports on him. Im reading Kane- lite- in the Marner/Gudreau mould. Hopefully I didnt just single handedly jinx his development with that comment now- haha!

Anyways thanks again- rep coming...

- - - Updated - - -

But yea...

I appreciate the feedback from everybody. Threw it out there and he accepted. In a six round draft I now have 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd- so pretty stoked about that (although a little disgruntled the draft class proects to be so weak- lol!). Im happy with my keepers now and definitely more intrigued about Keller after digging up more scouting reports on him. Im reading Kane- lite- in the Marner/Gudreau mould. Hopefully I didnt just single handedly jinx his development with that comment now- haha!

Anyways thanks again- rep coming...

Administrator

If the deal somehow makes so much sense for you it's not an overpayment. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust