Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vetting a new manager - How?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Vetting a new manager - How?

(I realize this may be a post that should live in the classifieds, but it's not intended to recruit a replacement. The primary goal of this post is to obtain some feedback and/or advice. If a replacement is found through this post it's a bonus.)

So the 14 team league in my sig has had one of our managers abandon the league due to some (petty) issues involving another manager in the league - no interest in getting into it.

However, he was a replacement manager we brought on mid-season to replace an inactive manager. Essentially, this team will be looking for its 3 manager in a year. We, as a league, are tired of replacing and are hoping to find a long-term guy. Several in the league have friends that are interested - but the manager that abandoned was also a friend. So that's clearly not a guarantee of anything.

One manager suggested we put together a mini "interview" of sorts for any potential new managers looking to take over, which I thought was a good idea, but am still not sure what kind of questions / test should be presented to candidates.

Does anyone here have any advice on how they've vetted new managers for leagues? We're 13 active managers that take our league seriously and are constantly chatting about hockey with each other - we consider ourselves a Fantasy Hockey Community, not just a league.

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Vetting a new manager - How?

Make them submit a resume/synopsis of their previous fantasy experience. I find this works well, I sold mysef to two leagues his way.

Not sure they love me, but I'm active as hell
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Past experience and league types
    - helps you understand if their tastes fit your league

Active in how many leagues currently and in the past few years
    - helps you identify if they have bounced around a lot before or have too many leagues on the go

Ask them what they think of the team they are inheritting and what type of approach they plan to take with it.
    - good to level set what thier expectations are and how they may fit in with the existing managers.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Titan

Not too many points past what the others said.
    Maybe you could ask for a link to pages of other leagues they are in to get a sense of how committed/active they are, as well as their style.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Pro

Get them to send nudes too
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeah dick pics works well. If it's small they will probably be a good GM. If it's too big they will be too busy working that thang and forget to set their lineup. You could then fine tune it by cut or uncut.
    good luck

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Administrator

Whenever possible have it be someone that knows at least one of the other owners in the league. That way you have some real feedback. The resume/interview method has rarely worked out for me over the years. They all sound great in messages but when they take over suddenly they must rebuild and their best players get traded for random youth.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

I would get them to send a fantasy hockey resume. Most leagues I join ill send a paragraph or two of my past experience. That I started fantasy hockey in 2003. Id ask them how committed they are ect. I once applied to a league but never got a response. All good though

Dobber Sports Expert

Saturday with a 24 pack of beer and a full slate of hockey games.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Master

Apart from the ideas above which are good ones... what about asking potential GMs for two prospect reports on players that have not been drafted yet? This would really separate the casual fantasy hockey player from the guy who is likely to be quite active. Get him to comment on why they would be a good pick for your league set up in the scout report.

You could also ask them to analyze a couple trades in the context of the rules of your league. This would also show you the thought process, which would in turn show how committed the guy is to fantasy hockey.

Downside is he thinks yer ****ing nuts for asking this of a guy before joining your league and ... he might be right.

Dobber Sports Genius

Spitballing without a great deal of though behind it.....

I'd give them three (made up) rosters and have them lay out a plan on what they would do as a GM with each team. You should get an idea really quickly as to where their fantasy mind is.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Deity

Obviously finding someone you know helps because you probably have an idea how much fantasy hockey he plays or at least, how much hockey he follows.

If you don't know them, ask the simple questions about his fantasy experience. I guess you could call it a resume. Get him to rank (in his opinion) the prospects on the roster he's taking over. That should give you a rough idea of his prospect knowledge or at least where he values certain ones. I know some of us value certain prospects more than others but it's a rough estimate here.

Unfortunately, there's no proven method of determining who's a good GM coming in and who will be a dough-head if you don't know them.

I know one thing, I have never been asked to write an essay to join a fantasy league and there's no way in hell I would put that much effort into a free league. You might scare away good candidates doing that. Fantasy hockey is supposed to be fun and that sounds way too much like work to me.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

its still a crapshoot even if the recruit seems legit via their interest level shown to join.

one of the best gm's I've recruited was found on an audio/video themed message board that had an off-topic sub forum in which I took a shot in the dark / posted league opening.

sixteen years later he's still in my leagues.

my point being , you never know where and when you'll find that gem .

Dobber Sports Apprentice

To clarify it's a $50 entry per year. Hence why we want someone good.

What we ended up doing was asking their fantasy hockey experience, what they see as a first plan for the available foster, and analyzing a trade we had in the league involving McDavid, Seguin, Gibson, Bobrovsky ++++++

No peter pictures required.... lol

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd like to think that if someone is willing to put up money to enter a fantasy hockey league, they probably have a clue on fantasy hockey. Most don't like to just throw money away.

It's the free leagues that I worry about recruiting the wrong guys.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."