Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to start a salary cap league?

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: How to start a salary cap league?

Quote Originally Posted by Poutine View Post
    What are some examples of salary cap penalties? Is it mostly just setting an amount of points deducted from that player if the salary cap is exceeded after whatever deadline is set? Or are there more creative penalties?

If we set up the league, I would want the penalties to be uber-severe because otherwise I'm sure it becomes a pain to manage.
    You can set it up in Fantrax that if a roster is "over the cap" then no points are accrued until the roster is fixed. This is a good initial step.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Oh, that's another thing - USE FANTRAX. Pay the premium fee and just let the site do the work for you. We moved to Fantrax when we rebooted our Dynasty as a cap league and holy hell, as the guy running the show, I'd almost pay the fee myself if I needed to. Thankfully we built league fees into the entry fee for the league to cover it.

It is 100% worth it.

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
    Oh, that's another thing - USE FANTRAX. Pay the premium fee and just let the site do the work for you. We moved to Fantrax when we rebooted our Dynasty as a cap league and holy hell, as the guy running the show, I'd almost pay the fee myself if I needed to. Thankfully we built league fees into the entry fee for the league to cover it.

It is 100% worth it.
    Nice one. I've used Fantrax for the first time this season (not salary cap league) and am definitely sold on it. Seems like it has the most versatility and I like the ability to source all the salary/AAV info.
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by eskimo brother View Post
    if you guys are waiting for it then maybe i'll try to get to it in the next few weeks
    yes please!
    C C. Giroux (RW) 1st   J. Pavelski (LW) 2nd   N. Backstrom 5th   M. Scheifele 10th
    LW B. Ryan (RW) 9th   A. Galchenyuk (C) 14th   N. Ehlers (RW) N/A
    RW J. Carter (C) 8th   C. Smith (C) 12th   J. Pominville 15th
    D D. Keith 3rd   J. Carlson 4th   D. Hamilton 13th   N. Leddy 11th
    G B. Holtby 7th   R. Miller 6th   A. Niemi 16th

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Mhalzorn View Post
    yes please!
    Won't be this coming week, but it's on the back burner to get done soon.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

Article is in the works to be out Apr 13th for those interested. Tough to get specific without getting really nitty/gritty with numbers, but I am trying to overview the key aspects, and what pieces need to be set well for a salary cap league to succeed.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Article is in the works to be out Apr 13th for those interested. Tough to get specific without getting really nitty/gritty with numbers, but I am trying to overview the key aspects, and what pieces need to be set well for a salary cap league to succeed.
    Thanks, EB. This is obviously more than I could have imagined getting from starting a thread about salary cap leagues. Looking forward to reading your article.
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Titan

Here's the link for you:
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...hockey-league/

Obviously it can't cover every single angle, but it should allow you to ask some more focused questions as necessary moving forward!

Dobber Sports Ace

I think Eskimo gave a solid overview on a cap league. One thing that he clearly mentioned but I would really harp on is the points that you can kind of clump into one:
    -be clear and concise with rules
    - enforce! Enforce! Enforce!

I've seen leagues crumble like dominos because of this. Commish's and gm's need to treat the league like its $1m buy in. I don't care if it's a free league or a $25 league or $1000 league. Once one team breaks a rule, others will follow if that gm isn't held accountable. Then you have a snowball effect and the league will crumble.
    It's really sad that it can happen this way, but it likely will, and that's due to laziness up to outright cheating/not caring

I'd recommend a "public" warning for most 1st offenses, but then the penalty needs to get quite sharp from there. Obv as it gets into multiple violations, then I think you need to look to replace.

Just my 2 cents but I think it's something that really needs to be looked at

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    I think Eskimo gave a solid overview on a cap league. One thing that he clearly mentioned but I would really harp on is the points that you can kind of clump into one:
    -be clear and concise with rules
    - enforce! Enforce! Enforce!

I've seen leagues crumble like dominos because of this. Commish's and gm's need to treat the league like its $1m buy in. I don't care if it's a free league or a $25 league or $1000 league. Once one team breaks a rule, others will follow if that gm isn't held accountable. Then you have a snowball effect and the league will crumble.
    It's really sad that it can happen this way, but it likely will, and that's due to laziness up to outright cheating/not caring

I'd recommend a "public" warning for most 1st offenses, but then the penalty needs to get quite sharp from there. Obv as it gets into multiple violations, then I think you need to look to replace.

Just my 2 cents but I think it's something that really needs to be looked at
    Appreciate the backup here. Those definitely are the biggest things.
    Following through from there, if the game is clear and everyone playing by the same rules, it makes it more enjoyable for all.